headphones at the 2012 Olympics
Aug 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gkanai

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:
Many of the biggest names in the sport now walk to the starting blocks in headphones: Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps of the United States, Sun Yang of China and Park Tae-hwan of South Korea. Perhaps the most popular brand is Beats by Dr. Dre, which is from a company created by the rap star Dr. Dre, who was born Andre Young, and the music producer and entrepreneur Jimmy Iovine. The American Cullen Jones wears a hefty pair. Sun’s Beats are a China red, though, one Chinese reporter said, he wears them only because he is copying his idol, Park.

The visibility of Beats by Dr. Dre at the London Games was no accident. The makers of the headphones created customized Union Jack headphones that were provided to many of the British Olympic athletes and provided standard models to athletes from many other teams, ensuring that viewers of everything from swimming to tennis to gymnastics would get long, repeated looks at them on television.

Premium headphones were 3 percent of the overall market in the United States, in units, in the second quarter of 2010; they were 8 percent in the second quarter of this year, according to Ben Arnold, director of industry analysis for the NPD Group, a market research firm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/sports/olympics/headphone-brands-compete-for-viewers-attention-at-olympics.html

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 12
Other olympic sponsors pay millions for exclusivity.  Beats tried to skirt things by offering them as "gifts" to the athletes themselves, serving as a sort of guerrilla marketing campaign.  Panasonic paid millions for the rights to exclusive headphone branding rights to the olympics.  If the athletes want to wear their own Beats that's one thing - when they're sent Beats branded with their companies symbol for the Olympics it's an unethical practice.

This is not the first time they have done this.  JBL had rights by the NBA All-Star game and Beats handed out branded Beats to the All-Stars.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Other olympic sponsors pay millions for exclusivity.  Beats tried to skirt things by offering them as "gifts" to the athletes themselves, serving as a sort of guerrilla marketing campaign.  Panasonic paid millions for the rights to exclusive headphone branding rights to the olympics.  If the athletes want to wear their own Beats that's one thing - when they're sent Beats branded with their companies symbol for the Olympics it's an unethical practice.

This is not the first time they have done this.  JBL had rights by the NBA All-Star game and Beats handed out branded Beats to the All-Stars.

Ah, that makes sense, definitely would agree with calling that unethical.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Agreed. It's all marketing driven. You can't tell me a whole team just decided to buy Beats! 

I prefer my EX-29's over any of those celebrity endorsed headphones. But I guess if you don't have to pay for them, you'll take what you get! 

"Welcome to head fi! Sorry about your wallet"

If I could get one for free... I'd take one too.

I'd use it and write a review on it and then sell them used.
And before you say anything.....for someone like me, it may be easier to sell it used. I'm Asian...most new beats sold for $200 or whatever I choose may make them think it's fake....

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
gkanai,

I am a fan of Kosuke Kitajima being 3 times Olympic champion in the breastroke events. Unfortunately this year wasn't a good year for him, and I guess he will be retiring for good after London. IT is amazing that two world records are being taken down in the 100m and 200m breastroke events. Cameron Van Der Burgh was amazing in the 100m sprint clocking mid 58s in the final, and Daniel Gyurta broke Christian Sprenger's world record in the 200m after edging out the young upcoming British swimmer. 

Unfortunately former world record holder Brendan Hansen was past his prime now. Did you watch the 4x100m medley relay on the last day of the swimming competition? Kitajima pipped Hansen in the 2nd breastroke leg although Hansen dived in first, and it's up to Michael Phelps to save the day in the 3rd butterfly leg before Nathan Adrian raced home for gold. Oh yeah. 

Australian hotshot James Magnussen who bragged about being unbeatable in the 100m freestyle lost his race against Nathan Adrian in an epic battle. Great race that one.

Looks like I got carried away. Nonetheless, it is good to see a few champs getting some fancy headphones on their heads in the pool these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back