Headphones around the $300 mark
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

demopeng

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am brand new to the forum and look forward to expanding my knowledge with use of this forum!

I am a student and I am looking for a decent quality pair of headphones around the $300 mark.
I do not own any headphone amps (portable or full sized) and have never considered using one until I began doing comprehensive research on higher than your average quality of headphones.  So please if you a portable amp that would be considered a good value please enlighten me (price range is up to $60 for an amp, if that's possible that is).
Please excuse my ignorance, and do correct me if a am wrong about anything.

First let me clarify, I will be using these headphones with my Ipod or Laptop while studying.

I do enjoy music with heavy bass; I understand the exuberant bass in some headphones out there (ie beats by dre) ruin the fidelity of the music.  I listen to classical when studying, yet I also listen to some EDM (Electronica) music which conveys a significant amount of electronically produced bass, much more than can be produced by any instrument that is.  And I may disappoint some audiopliles when I say this but I do like a bit of punch when listening to music.

I'm not sure if I need noise cancelling, I would just like the headphones to be clear and isolate the sound without having my volume excessively turned up.

I have previously owned the Monster Turbine Pro's Gold edition, and the Bose AE2i Models.  I did not like the in ear buds, and was extremely disappointed with the build and sound quality of the Bose AE2i.

I am currently looking at:

-the Bose QC15, although I have heard that they have one of the best noise cancelling technologies available (in my price range that is), I also have heard they are lacking on the low end.

- the Sennheiser Momentum over the ear headphones.  I understand these are not noise cancelling however I will sacrifice the features of ANC in replacement of better audio (in my case heavier crisp base).

-Monster Inspiration Over the ear ANC headphones

-Sennheiser HD380 Pro, non noise canceling, however reviews seem promising, I was just curious as to how they compare to the above options

I would really appreciate some input on these above models as well as any other recommendation for both headphones and/or a portable amp. 

Thanks a lot, Eric

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 9
Oct 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for the input on the amp, reviews seem positive I think I may just pick one up.  Just to clarify an amp like this wont have any issues powering a set of headphones like the Sennheiser Momentums over the ear model?  Would upgrading to a larger/better quality amp make an enormous difference, or only a marginal difference in terms of overall clarity and bass response?

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for the input on the amp, reviews seem positive I think I may just pick one up.  Just to clarify an amp like this wont have any issues powering a set of headphones like the Sennheiser Momentums over the ear model?  Would upgrading to a larger/better quality amp make an enormous difference, or only a marginal difference in terms of overall clarity and bass response?

The momentums are designed for portable mobile use. The fiio is more than enough to make the momentums sounds good.

I definitely give a vote to the momentums

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm glad to hear the affirmation regarding the momentums.  You mentioned "The momentums are designed for portable mobile use.", if that's the case will there be a significant difference in audio quality by using a portable amp such as the FiiO E6 or E11's?
Eric

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm glad to hear the affirmation regarding the momentums.  You mentioned "The momentums are designed for portable mobile use.", if that's the case will there be a significant difference in audio quality by using a portable amp such as the FiiO E6 or E11's?
Eric

Ive never tried to momentum with an amp cuz it has great sound and ive never felt the need to go for an amp. I cant imagine the sounding improving all that much especially with just a entry level amp

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 9
The sennheiser momentum sounds really neutral though, and i've seen you liked music with more bass in it.

*Puts on flame suit*

I think the new beats studio 2013 will do the job for you (Although they're somewhat overpriced).
I've heard they're way better than the old beats studio (Which i own, they're not too bad.. But rather 150 bucks than 300.) The noise cancelling is AMAZING in the old pair, and they say it didn't change in the new pair. The bass was quite overpowering, and the mids were bad and the highs were horrible in the old pair, but i've heard they balanced it more in the new pair.
Try going to a shop somewhere that has these so you can test them.

Also you could try to search for a used beats pro, but here are a lot of fakes so watch out for these.. It's possible to find a pair of these for 250 bucks, and while they're not worth 400 bucks, 250 is a nice price for them (I own these myself, and i'm very satisfied with them, they're balanced, the bass might be slightly overpowered but that's great with music that has bass in it.)

If you want i could help you search for a real used pair of beats pro on Amazon and Ebay and such.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you should also try out the beats pro in some kind of shop first. Also the new beats studio 2013 and the beats pro both have 32Ohm, so they're easy to drive on a ipod and laptop without an amp, but i think they'll sound better with one.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 9
The new beats studios are indeed a pleasant improvement over the old ones. Night and day difference. Worth the 300 dollar price point? Unfortunately still no. I would be willing to go as high as maybe 250... But thats pushing it and definitely not any higher than that.

I have to disagree with the noise cancelling. The noise cancelling is awful on the old beats and if there isnt any change... Thats really quite a bummer. Vmodas would
Be better basshead options imo.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 9
If you really went for noise cancelling, Bose QC15 would be the best choice i think. But the sound quality in the QC15 isn't too good for it's price. Also the Beats Studio and Bose QC15 both need batteries, if the batteries run out you can't use them anymore.. That's one of the reasons i got rid of my Beats Studio and got a Beats Pro instead (Sidenote, i've got the Beats Pro Detox, they sound the same but are limited edition and makes them more expensive, you should just get the regular Beats Pro and not the Beats Pro Detox)

If you don't mind the batteries, you could still give them a try. But getting a second-hand Beats Pro would be a better choice in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back