Headphones around $300-400 price range. Suggestions?
Oct 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

darknessproz

100+ Head-Fier
Let me start with what i already have and will be getting. I currently own a triple.fi 10 pro IEM, which was my first real *audiophile* grade IEM, before that i was using a pair of metro.fi 170. I really love the sound of my tf10, and will be sending them in for remolds soon. i also have a set of Audioengine A2 speakers. I will also be purchasing a audinst-hud mx1 dac/amp by the end of the year. However, i would like to try out some full size headphones. What i would like would be something with a vastly different sound signature from the tf10. Any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 13
I haven't heard the TF10, but may I suggest the Sennheiser HD6x0 series? If you look you can find either the HD600/ HD650 in your price range, and they work well enough with the Audinst (that's my setup right now).

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Checkout the headphones in my profile. I use them on a daily basis (or weekly for some), and if I were to only one of them, it would be the K702. IMO it's the sure-thing, the safe bet: if you were looking to start a full size headphone collection of any sort, the K702 should be one of them.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 13
Those look good. I've read about grados. What exactly is this "grado" sound? It seems pretty famous/infamous around here. I might start of small for my full-size headphone collection, around the sub $100 range. My wallets will be stretched pretty tight after remolding my TF10s.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 13
You can get the Denon AH-5000 for just above 400. I find them much more enjoyable than the HD600s, haven't heard the HD650s though. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Those look good. I've read about grados. What exactly is this "grado" sound? It seems pretty famous/infamous around here. I might start of small for my full-size headphone collection, around the sub $100 range. My wallets will be stretched pretty tight after remolding my TF10s.

The Grado's have a nice mid and a much brighter highs than any other brand. Some people think that the highs are a bit too piercing and fatiguing, but others like me think that the highs are detailed and wonderful sounding. Having a remolded TF10 as well, I personally found the SR325i much better than the TF10.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyraider /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Grado's have a nice mid and a much brighter highs than any other brand. Some people think that the highs are a bit too piercing and fatiguing, but others like me think that the highs are detailed and wonderful sounding. Having a remolded TF10 as well, I personally found the SR325i much better than the TF10.

Would you say grado's perform well on tracks focusing on female vocals? That's my main complain with the TF10. I also do not expect IEM's to be able to outperform headphones at the same price range anyway. Currently looking at some Grado SR60i

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Would you say grado's perform well on tracks focusing on female vocals? That's my main complain with the TF10. I also do not expect IEM's to be able to outperform headphones at the same price range anyway. Currently looking at some Grado SR60i

I think they are exceptional with female vocals, but you will find that Grado's do lack a bit of bass.

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

female vocals? Have you considered the HD 650s? With a well-powered amp they are amazing cans. They could've been my last cans had I not been caught up in the LCD-2 frenzy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

I think they are exceptional with female vocals, but you will find that Grado's do lack a bit of bass.

Thats fine with me, it seems to be the total opposite of the TF10s. 

Quote:
Quote:

female vocals? Have you considered the HD 650s? With a well-powered amp they are amazing cans. They could've been my last cans had I not been caught up in the LCD-2 frenzy.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently thinking of starting low. I've spent way too much as it is.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I'm currently thinking of starting low. I've spent way too much as it is.

The HD 650s are in your price range so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

There are Head-Fiers using the Audinst with them as well. So if you do take the 650s into consideration (which would be a shame to just dismiss) they may be helpful in that regard.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

The HD 650s are in your price range so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

There are Head-Fiers using the Audinst with them as well. So if you do take the 650s into consideration (which would be a shame to just dismiss) they may be helpful in that regard.

haha, i'm currently thinking of currently spending less than the price range stated in the OP. Not really dismissing anything at the moment, but which headphones i would eventually get would depend on the state of my wallet and sanity of mind after completing my planned purchases(audinst and tf10 remolds). Thanks for the suggestion though, i would read up on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back