Headphones are hissing on my windows computer
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fedora

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of MDR-V6 and they used to not hiss when I'd listen to music in foobar or watch movies in MPC-HC. I don't know what happened but now suddenly, and only on my pc, my headphones hiss. If I move the plug to the rear jack, the hiss is still there.

I don't know what happened or what caused this but the last thing I remember installing was Visual C++ and Windows SDK.

Does anyone know what to do about this? I tried using a different OS (Fedora) and the hissing is still there so I doubt it's from an installed program. It just started hissing and I don't know why.

Edit: I don't even have to listen to music. Just plugging the headphones in and listening to nothing you can hear hiss. This used to not exist but now it does.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi!

There's a few reasons for this and I think it may be the cause of:
-Damping factor: Maybe your PC has a too high output impedance causing hisses [did you change the soundcard or purchase a new PC recently?] 

If that is the case, I would recommend you to purchase a new DAC/amp combo. FiiO E70k or E10 is good enough.

Just my 2cents!

Billson 
size]

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 6
It's probably a driver update. Try rolling back the audio drivers.

I edited my post I just tried Fedora and the hissing was still there. I tested the headphones on my sisters laptop and the hissing is gone. Should I try rewiring my case?

Hi!

There's a few reasons for this and I think it may be the cause of:
-Damping factor: Maybe your PC has a too high output impedance causing hisses [did you change the soundcard or purchase a new PC recently?] 

If that is the case, I would recommend you to purchase a new DAC/amp combo. FiiO E70k or E10 is good enough.

Just my 2cents!

Billson 
size]

Nothing really changed on my pc :\

My mobo has built in audio but if a DAC/amp will fix this then I will buy one. This hiss never happened before, it just started happening today.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 6
If it just started, then it obviously isn't your pc.

Update your sound drivers and if that doesn't help, roll back your pc's status to before the SDK and C++ like it has been said.

Of course, there is a chance that some cap or what not on your mobo broke / popped / went out of spec - but I really doubt it.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I edited my post I just tried Fedora and the hissing was still there. I tested the headphones on my sisters laptop and the hissing is gone. Should I try rewiring my case?
Nothing really changed on my pc :\

My mobo has built in audio but if a DAC/amp will fix this then I will buy one. This hiss never happened before, it just started happening today.

That...I doubt it. If using your sister laptop the hiss is gone, then a DAC/amp will fix it the problem for you. Probably something went wrong with your Mobo. Try plugging your headphone to your mobile phone or any other source you have available. Hope this help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back