headphones are boring...
Aug 9, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #46 of 60
Zeplin, I don't get why you overreact so much over a simple guess (well maybe it's because that sentence excluded all the extroverts from being able to enjoy headphones and in a headphone forum it's not very subtle to say something like that). So if I offended you with my poor thinking, poor scientific method and my opinion not based on thousands of case studies, I'm sorry.
I think you're strictly by the (academic) book. Not a very curious type of person (nothing wrong with that).
Still friends?

BTW "So am I now both an introverted and extroverted person" makes sense, there's a theory (and I find it interesting, I'm not saying it's scientifically proved) based on C.G. Jung "Psychological Types", called MBti, which states that we can think in a introverted or in a extroverted way, feel in a introverted or in a extroverted way, sense in a ..., intuit in a .... so if your thinking is introvert, it can't be extrovert at same time, but your feeling (which is the opposite of thinking) has to be extrovert (and not introvert).

Enough said.
Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Aug 9, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #47 of 60
I'm just trying to tell you that you're labeling people without knowing them. When someone labels me, especially if they're dead wrong, I take offense, or state that you're wrong, which you are. It's almost as if you don't believe in my responses regarding how well I know myself. And if the many people I know, in addition to myself, love headphones and aren't introverts, then your theory is wrong in the sense that it doesn't apply to all people or I'm willing to bet, is wrong about the majority of headphone listeners. Again, I'm also sorry if you take me as being a little upset over this. It's just that people react this way when you label them without knowing them at all. I study psychology as a second major (so I don't just follow textbooks...see, you didn't know that did you?) and what you're alluding to is junk psychology. Psychology is way deeper and is more complex than that and you know it. That's all I"m trying to say man...you're taking an offly big leap by stating these "theories" to be true. Listening to headphones, and then jumping to labeling a person who listens to headphones to be an introvert is an incredibly big leap, which requires a much closer look at the person...AND NOT THE WAY THEY LISTEN TO THIER MUSIC! Why do you think it takes so much time for a psychologist to get to know a patient before he/she diagnoses that patient?? To simply lump an absolutely huge category of people together in order to perpetuate this very shallow minded theory is what is called junk science. In fact, that is almost a perfect definition/example of what junk science means. And learning how to identify junk science in the real world helps us better understand the facts, truth, and reality of life rather than the fiction and distorted truths of life.

Aug 9, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #48 of 60
Blah, blah, blah, headphones are boring, blah, blah, blah, speakers are boring
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #49 of 60
Well fair enough. New plan!
wink.gif

I was browing cnet and came acorss the review of the 515s.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_H...tml?tag=glance

They mentioned that yes they are hard to drive. Maye the onyko is enough to open up the 497s but not the 555s after all. So my plan is to order a amp in the next few weeks. Probably the classic from the great things I've heard about it. If I'm not still not happy, I'll sell it on here for probably near full price, I'm sure people would be glad to take it off my hands esp since there is no build wait. We'll see then.

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You bring up a good point, they didn't blossom until around 500 hours. Still, they're rather polite. If you want 'fun' cans, try Beyer DT531's or Grados!

this is a very good suggestion... I dont know why you would get sennheiser if you are looking for punchy and fun... I certainly dont find them to have that kind of character... grado's seem to be a good match for you... they are all fun
rs1smile.gif
[however, I find them lacking in other aspects... would be nice to own a set if money was no object] Quote:

Originally Posted by tomek
i sold my headphone rig to fund my speaker purchase. my speaker rig is great, but it cost nearly ten times what the headphone rig did. it's much more realistic, fun, and i can share it with friends. i do miss the intimacy of headphones though, they really get you focused on the music.

I agree with this... your speaker rig is awesome... I'll have to come over for another listen soon
biggrin.gif

but like you said... it is not quite as affordable as a headphone rig [to give those that dont know an idea of how much he is talking about here... his old headphone setup was a stax rig]
blink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
My setup:Sennheiser 555s>Sound Blaster Live Value>Creative Nomad Jukebox 1

What I'm wondering, is how are you using your headphones as a source... and how are you affixing the nomad jukebox to your head? [look at the signal chain and try to visualize it]
icon10.gif

but on a more serious note... if you are thinking about picking up an amp for the HD555's, consider misterx... he will make you an amp to suit your needs and works with your budget...

Aug 9, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #51 of 60
I caught the headphone bug and I'm still suffering from it.
biggrin.gif
Headphones - because of the folks here - led me back to my love of music, and I finally ended up getting rid of my mediocre 20 year old stereo system and investing in what I believe is a decent stereo system, with B& W speakers, a good receiver, good cables, etc.. So, headphones, which I really never owned before joining head fi, led me back to getting a good speaker-based system. I've spent a lot of money on headphones, headphone amps, and my stereo system - head fi leads to empty wallets, in my experience.

I'll always have both headphones and speakers, though I no longer use speakers with my computer. I use a headphone set up with my computer system, but I am also buying a Singlepower MPX3 headphone amp to go with my stereo system, so I can have, IMHO, the best of both worlds!

Reck - The AVS forum that davidmiya linked for you will help you with your speaker/receiver/amp, etc. decisions. Obviously, the best thing will be to go to local audio stores to hear different speakers and receivers and let your ears decide. One thing about speakers, (at least here in Colorado,) unlike headphones, you're much more likely to be able to find local stores with high end equipment so you can try before you buy. I have yet to find a local store that sells high end headphones.....

I think you'll be paying more than $1000 for a good speaker set up, unless you can find used equipment. (My budget was limited but I think I spent around $5000 for every thing, while some people are willing to spend $5000 or more just for an amplifier....) Hope you find what you want so you can enjoy your music.

Aug 9, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Well fair enough. New plan!
wink.gif

I was browing cnet and came acorss the review of the 515s.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_H...tml?tag=glance

They mentioned that yes they are hard to drive. Maye the onyko is enough to open up the 497s but not the 555s after all. So my plan is to order a amp in the next few weeks. Probably the classic from the great things I've heard about it. If I'm not still not happy, I'll sell it on here for probably near full price, I'm sure people would be glad to take it off my hands esp since there is no build wait. We'll see then.

You should also replace your Creative SB-Live. Those things are horrible. Do yourself a big favor and get a Chaintech AV-710 for $24 shipped to replace your SB-Live.

Aug 9, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #53 of 60
I do find speakers generally better than headphones, and I would second the suggestion of looking for fun headphones, like Grados or DT531's or something of that ilk. The rig below [in my sig] offers a real nice, fun and unpretentious headphone experience, even more so than many of the higher models in a lot of cases. I'd also suggest getting a better source like the Chaintech or something like that.

Most headphones for me have been lacking in one way or another, but I feel like the headphones suggested would do more for you in the areas that matter.

Aug 9, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #54 of 60
Sorry guys. I wasn't trying to knock you, but I was just saying that with how strongly he felt that speakers provided him the experience he wanted, 'breaking in' his headphones wasn't going to change his mind.

i feel like there are two types of people on this site. those that enjoy the hobby and can logically discuss the merits of headphones and speakers and those that emotively defend headphones as the ultimate way to enjoy audio.

it just seems like some guys were telling him to spend more when it was quite clear to me that he liked the thumping bass of speakers. i'd feel personally responsible when he dropped another 2 grand and still wasn't happy.

ps: i love headphones.

Aug 9, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #55 of 60
Going to a 515 would be the wrong thing to do. As unagressive as the 555 is, the 515 is even darker. GET OUT OF THE SENN MINDSET. It won't get you where YOU want. It's a great brand for a lot of people but not for people who like it front row centre.

Aug 9, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #56 of 60
I think one way to relieve your boredom Reck45 would be in a word, UPGRADE! There is no way your going to get the full headphone experience without a dedicated source, and an amp to go with those HD555's. Do yourself a favor and use that $500 to get a good source/amp combo. If your still bored after that, then your probably just not a headphone guy. It took me over a year (and not to mention some $$) to put together a rig that I was sonically happy with. With a little patience, and money you just may discover what all this headphone hype is all about.

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #57 of 60
Reck,
With the Senns you have (the new line), you are in fact experiencing the brightest of the whole Sennhieser headphone line. The only other Senn phone that presents an almost front row experience is the HD650, which is a very pricey headphone that almost always requires an equally/proportionately expensive amp and source. So that's out of the question...at least for now it is. Who knows Reck, you could get hooked on this headphone thing and end up saving for an electrostatic type headphone system in less than a year from now. I know it may be hard to believe, but it has happened to the best of us a many of times!

As I've stated before, I agree about moving to another brand of headphones...one that does not need a special synergistic amp or source to make them more forward. You need a headphone that naturally, and right away produces a more upfront sound. I suggest going for the Beyers that many have already suggested. The grados are great, but they may be a little too up front and overly bright for your tastes. Everytime I've tried out any of the Grado line, they sound exciting at first, but then soon become too bright and I end up getting listeners fatigued because of the overly brightness of the high end. Not good! Many people have had the same experience as well. The Beyer line of headphones (as well as some Sony's) provide that middle ground, right in between the Sennheiser house sound and the Grado house sound. I think you will be pleasantly surprized about how exciting and involving these type of headphones will sound in comparison to the Senns. Although, it is good that you're giving the Senns a fair shot because the way you were going about driving them is in NO WAY AT ALL what they sound like when powered the correct way. Some may say that if you do not like them now, run off of your current gear, that you won't like them no matter what you change about the way you power them. That IMO, is a load of crap. With the right synergistic and/or correct setup, they will totally transform and completely fill out into a very rich, warm, and extremely full sounding headphone with lots of high quality bass that is filled with a tremendous amount of texture. As so the same will happen with the high end too, but it won't be overly bright at all...just smooth, silky, and natural! That is how they are meant to sound like. So good luck in building your new and improved setup. I hope you find your style/taste of headphones sooner than later. As long as you keep trying and searching, the right headphone will most definitely come along. Patience is something that is forced upon us in this particular hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Take care!

Aug 10, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
With the right synergistic and/or correct setup, they will totally transform and completely fill out into a very rich, warm, and extremely full sounding headphone with lots of high quality bass that is filled with a tremendous amount of texture. As so the same will happen with the high end too, but it won't be overly bright at all...just smooth, silky, and natural!

Maybe that's a bit too much to ask of the Senn HD 555's but mine do sound quite close to that description.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #60 of 60
I've been there. and come back. been there and come back.. vicious cycle of love and hate if you ask me.
confused.gif

My current gear:

woo audio 2 
sennheiser hd650
cardas cable
beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back