Headphones and sound card for gaming home PC
Jun 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

luke100

New Head-Fier
Hello.
The topic's name spoils pretty much everything. I don't have that much knowledge about sound cards, headphones etc. and reviews stopped being helpful, so I'm asking you. What kind of gaming headphones would you recommend? I listen to music, but my PC is mostly used for video games. I don't need portability or a microphone for those headphones, I'm only interested in sound. As for the sound card... well, I do a bit of recording on YouTube, pretty amateur, but still I'd like to have a decent sound quality. I'm currently using Sound Blaster Audigy with Philips SHP-5401, again nothing spectacular. I wouldn't want to spend more than 100$ for each of those parts, but I could if it was worthy. I wanted to take Koss Pro DJ100, but then I thought they might not be best for games, so I turned my eyes towards Razer Carcharias but it doesn't sound too convincing...
I know my budget and current setup must sound like a joke for some of you, but I've never been much of an audiophile. So, any ideas what to pick?

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hello.
The topic's name spoils pretty much everything. I don't have that much knowledge about sound cards, headphones etc. and reviews stopped being helpful, so I'm asking you. What kind of gaming headphones would you recommend? I listen to music, but my PC is mostly used for video games. I don't need portability or a microphone for those headphones, I'm only interested in sound. As for the sound card... well, I do a bit of recording on YouTube, pretty amateur, but still I'd like to have a decent sound quality. I'm currently using Sound Blaster Audigy with Philips SHP-5401, again nothing spectacular. I wouldn't want to spend more than 100$ for each of those parts, but I could if it was worthy. I wanted to take Koss Pro DJ100, but then I thought they might not be best for games, so I turned my eyes towards Razer Carcharias but it doesn't sound too convincing...
I know my budget and current setup must sound like a joke for some of you, but I've never been much of an audiophile. So, any ideas what to pick?

Asus Xonar DG ($14-$24) or DGX sound card ($40).
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) semi-open headphones ($53)
Total, somewhere between $67-$93.
That is about as cheap as it gets and still have something decent.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Actually I'd pay more for a music card if that would make sense, just not above $50 or $60.
Those headphones seem pretty good, thanks for that. I found an auction where it's possible to pick those Samson SR850's with Samson C01 microphone, is it any good?

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Actually I'd pay more for a music card if that would make sense, just not above $50 or $60.
Those headphones seem pretty good, thanks for that. I found an auction where it's possible to pick those Samson SR850's with Samson C01 microphone, is it any good?

The Asus Xonar DG(X) is a really good value
I know zero about the C01 mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back