Headphones and Magnetic Field Emissions!!!
Sep 2, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 80
Magnetic Fields sound great through headphones!

*Magnetic Fields is a band. 69 love songs, I and the like.
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
MRI imaging, which involves nice strong magnetic fields, is regarded as safe - unless you have any loose ferrous metal bits inside your body
eek.gif

Ooof... imagining having loose ferrous metal bits inside your body and then undergoing a MRI... ouch...
eek.gif

I wouldn't be too worried about the whole EMI business. There's so many more things during your everyday life that have harmful effects on your body that actually go about deteriorating it more. I mean thinking about it, the air we breath is harmful to us, especially in those very big and populous cities...

Sep 2, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
Ooof... imagining having loose ferrous metal bits inside your body and then undergoing a MRI... ouch...
eek.gif

I wouldn't be too worried about the whole EMI business. There's so many more things during your everyday life that have harmful effects on your body that actually go about deteriorating it more. I mean thinking about it, the air we breath is harmful to us, especially in those very big and populous cities...

Would be a problem for people with pacemakers and such, I'd think.

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 80
I think that emf is really only something that professionals who spend a good chunk of their lives with headphones on are truly concerned about. I mean if you spend thousands of hours over the course of your life with headphones on you would want to look for the safest ones around. Since they also advertise lower spl levels at the same relative volumes I think the safety issue is a package deal along with emf reduction.
I mean I acutally have a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750s and I love them. And I can tell a difference between wearing the Ultrasones for four hours while mixing or any of my other headphones for the same amount of time. My ears are less fatigued, my head is clearer and I feel better.
So maybe the emf issue is not that important for home listeners, but I think for professionals and even people who spend their entire work day with headphones on it can be an issue. Just my thoughts.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #23 of 80
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there are any more opinions on EMF & health. I'm of the opinion that until EMF is proven safe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that at least some cautionary steps ought to be taken. Of course there are many other sources of electromagnetic radiation that most of us are exposed to everyday, but I can't being a bit pessimitic when the argument seems to be "well, it hasn't been proven harmful and everyone seems OK, so it's nothing to be concerned about".

A quick web search on the subject will bring forth all kinds of opinions, some a little too over the top to taken seriously, but most conclusions seem to mirror that of the FDA. This from their website:

[size=xx-small]"It is generally agreed that further research is needed to determine what effects actually occur and whether they are dangerous to people. In the meantime, standards-setting organizations and government agencies are continuing to monitor the latest scientific findings to determine whether changes in safety limits are needed to protect human health"[/size]

Any opinions?

Ok, so how about opinions on how the Ultrasone Proline sound???
I do like the design and look of their cans. They get knocked around here and there have been a few nasty comments regading build quality, but I think I might opt for a pair, just to see for myself. That extra shielding sure isn't going to hurt
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 80
The consensus is that magnetic fields - even intensely powerful ones like those to be found in MRI scanners - are harmless to tissue and bone...the only problem being if one has any ferrous metal particles (swarf etc) embedded in tissue.
So heaphones are perfectly safe - the magnetic fields give no risk to health whatsoever.
The jury is still out on pulsed UHF radiation.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #28 of 80
Firstly, thanks to allenf for clearing up the rediculous magnetic feild confusion once and for all:
Quote:

The consensus is that magnetic fields - even intensely powerful ones like those to be found in MRI scanners - are harmless to tissue and bone...the only problem being if one has any ferrous metal particles (swarf etc) embedded in tissue.
So heaphones are perfectly safe - the magnetic fields give no risk to health whatsoever.

Secondly the microwaves from cellphones(even if they are the same frequency and wavelength range on the electromagnetic spectrum as the microwaves from a microwave oven) are NOT a health risk or cancer causing because the amount of energy in an electromagnetic wave is based not only on its wavelength an frequency but also on its amplitude. The amplitude of a cellphone's microwaves is much lower than those of a microwave oven causing them to be about as hazardous as Radio waves(the lowest and least dangerous frequency range of the electromagnetic spectrum)

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #29 of 80
Quote:

Thanks for the input. Truth is I am not really concerned with headphone safety, but as my sig makes clear, albeit in a joking way, I'm not so confident when it comes to cell phones. Cancer is not the only thing to be concerned about IMO, until we really understand how the brain works for example, I'd rather limit my exposure and let others act the guinea pig
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
wow I forgot this thread existed
rolleyes.gif

Me too, I clearly forgot about it!
I think that one should be aware of those magnetic risks!

Myself, having two wondeful cans Beyer's 880 and Sennheiser's HD595,
which of them are magnetically more dangerous? I'm not kidding!
How about an influence of a headphone amp which would put more juice,
i.e. more current/voltage into my cans?

Cautiously awaitning an amp for my babies,
580smile.gif

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back