Headphones +/- amp for < $250
Sep 12, 2011 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Halonoonan

Head-Fier
I want to get some headphones and maybe a portable amp for less than $250. I listen to mostly metal, but also punk, rock and more soft music as well. I do like bass. I must admit that I wanted beats by dr dre yesterday because I liked the bass and the kind of feeling like the music was around me, not just in my ear (soundstage). I will be playingfrom my ipone and iPad. I want over the ear type and mostly listen at home.
The ones that I am trying to decide between are ATH m50, denon ah-d1100, and ulasone 580, 750 or 780.
I was all set on the ATH m50, but then I read about the denon's having much better soundstage. I will get an amp if that will make a big difference. Maybe just a cheaper one like the new Fiio e6. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I forgot to mention. I know longer want the beats after reading what everyone here has to say about them. What can I say, I was naive reading more about quality headphones.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Koss Pro DJ100 + FiiO e7 + $75 in your pocket.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 11
Sep 12, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Most headphones under 250 shouldn't need an amp mate, just spend more on headphones first, get an amp later.

All the headphones you listed are great for those purposes, the 550, 650, 750, and 780 all either come with short manageable straight cords, or a nice coiled one which won't be too cumbersome. None of those should need an amp either. Headphone amps are for less THD at higher volumes, a portable player will manage to play most of those at an agreeable volume quite well!

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for all of the info so far. It's all overwhelming. Anyways, any last suggestions for headphones with good base and soundstage if that combo exists.
I'm going tom try and go to Guitar Center and actually listen to these myself. Any other good stores to go and listen to headphones? Thanks.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 11
*bass

Koss Pro DJ100.

Quote:
Thanks for all of the info so far. It's all overwhelming. Anyways, any last suggestions for headphones with good base and soundstage if that combo exists.
I'm going tom try and go to Guitar Center and actually listen to these myself. Any other good stores to go and listen to headphones? Thanks.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 11
For well controlled and non-bloated bass that doesn't bleed into the mids, can't really do better for under $80 than the DJ100. It's not bass heavy, but a step under. A little less than the white boxed M50.
Of course they do need an amp and the E7, E6 or PA2V2 should do fine. E6 is only $37, but I haven't tried it with the DJ100.
M50 pads are a nice upgrade too for the DJ100 and really improve the sound even more. DJ100 has some forward sounding mids and good treble, but slightly rolled off (or so they say).

Without an amp I don't suggest the DJ100. Yes, I know it makes no sense....

If you buy all of them, you're pretty much at $120. I prefer the DJ100 by far to the M50, but sure the M50 is a good headphone.
It's mids just don't do it for me and I find the DJ100 a little more engaging and fun to listen to. DJ100 is on sale right now for $63 on Amazon.
I think an Ipod Touch can drive it and a Cowon S9 might do even better. A portable amp is suggested though.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Anyone have anymore insight on the Denon d1100? I forgot to mention another one I'm interested in is the Beyerdynamic 770.

Yes..if you don't want a massive amount of bass, do NOT get it. Don't even think about it!! It's a bass monster.
That thing had so much bass it makes me laugh when someone says it doesn't bleed into the mids. Seriously..that is not possible.
You also get the nice bonus of having it take 20 minutes to remove it from the box.

Now the D1100 makes the M50 look almost balanced and it is..almost. I'd take the D1001 aka Creative Aurvana Live over the D1100 any day. That actually had decent mids.
The XB500 I'd also take over it. That thing responds really well with an EQ, but I personally wouldn't use it without an EQ.

If you want a good amount of bass without it being overkill The D2000 is a better option over the D1100. It does sound best with an amp despite it being only what..25 ohm or something? It loved my Asgard.
It's bass is a lot better controlled with an amp.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Sennheiser HD 25 II's get a lot of recommendations for rock but will severly eat into your budget. The Denons are at present time out of budget. AKG K181's will blow your mind for only $130. Read the reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back