Headphones Acting Like Microphones
Aug 13, 2011 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BadMagic

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've got Sennheiser HD650 plugged into a Lehmann Linear. When I tap the left ear cup, the left level meter moves and when I tap the right earphone cup, the right meter moves. It only happens when I have the headphones plugged into the socket that doesn't cancel out the speakers.

I know headphones and microphones are physically the same thing (magnets, coils of wire, blah blah). Everything works perfectly but this seems a little wierd. Is there something wrong?

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Is there something wrong?

If you are using a HD650 as a microphone, then yes, EVERYTHING is wrong, but if everything works fine for listening, you should be fine. I'd plug the headphone in the socket it was intended for though, just to make sure nothing happens to the amp and blow up my ear drums.
atsmile.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 3
HI,
I'm new to this thing too, have the same "problem"(?) and don't wan't to spam the forum.
My audio source is my mac, connected via USB to my Audio Gd NFB 12.1, on which i connect my Little Dot MK II, on which I listen to with my Beyer DT 880 Pro and a Logitech Z623 (that i use for movies, etc...). When i tap or speak into my headphones, even if my LD MK II is off, they're acting like microphones to my Logitech Speakers. 
My headphones are connected with jack to the headphones output and my LD MKII is connected to my speakers in the AUX (red/white stereo cables).

It isn't really a problem, i was just wondering why it is happening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back