Headphone user living in England needs some 'decent' advice --Americans, please rise to the challenge!!
Aug 29, 2012 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

britneedadvice

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
I've started this thread in the hope that I may receive some decent advice on Headphone/Headphone Amp upgrade.
Let me explain,I live in England.The Headphone scene is not big business in this Country.This is a problem insomuch that most Headphone equipment has to be bought 'blind'.Yes,most of the high end Headphones are available in England but never(to my knowledge) can you demo a number of 'phones on a range of Headphone Amps. Indeed,dedicated Headphone Amps really don't exist.(Try selling it-very few takers)
So,I like many others, have to look to America to obtain advice and products.Advice is cheap but buying from America has it's problems due to import duties etc etc.So you don't want to be making mistakes.
So what advice do I need.Whilst I listen to many genres of music,it's Classical which is my main interest.I attend Classical Concerts and (obviously) want my equipment to give as good a correct representation of the original as possible.
Why is it that so many reviews completely omit Classical Music?On one such forum on this site the author compares The Dark Star vs Liquid Fire and uses just one Classical piece stating "as the sound of a full Orchestra gives me a stronger notion of the "rightness" of the sound"  well yes I agree but why then only use one Classical piece for the review??
Then , as with so many of these forums you have to wade through to much clap-trap(and yes it occurs in England too)a Friend got me to read his review on some Cyrus gear on the 'Cyrus-Unofficial' site.He wrote a decent review only for comments to follow such as " you're the dogs b......s"  !!
and another thing, why so much clap trap about the equipment and not about the quality of the representation of the original.Do these people attend Concerts(or just play games?)
I bought a Rudistor Amp-which again I had to buy 'blind' but I was influenced by the fact that the Rudi Engineers have to attend Concerts on a regular basis.
On another forum(on this site) the author compares The Dark Star/Antelope vs Headroom with the Audeze LCD-3s.
One (sorry) idiot writes (about the Antelope)that it presents the Instruments in the wrong place and thinks the addition of the Voltikus might solve the problem.Look, chuck it in the bin if it's that bad!!
I've just bought the Audeze LCD-3 .I have the Rudistor PRX-303  Amp.I have the Headroom BUDA/UDAC.My listening source is the Meridian Reference 818 Sooloos(English Company)uncompressed hard drive system-Zone one to Speaker system(Cyrus power Amps/Spendor Speakers)Zone 2(in study) Meridian to Rudistor/LCD-3(and Senns HD800 & Beyer T1).
So, is there anybody out there in that big Country who can advise on the following:-
With ( predominantly ) Classical music can I get more out of the Audeze LCD-3s(and the Senns for that matter).I'm looking for a true representation of the original as possible.I'm not bothered about looks,technicalities or cost.Neither do I want to hear from People who  play games or count LEDs!!
At the end of the day, I know and appreciate sound is a personal thing but given the problems as described,any advice would be welcome.Thank you

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 8
Hallo Britneedadvice

I have LCD 3 , T 1 and HD 800 too

Please try to buy tube pre amp T + A. P 10.2 , you can use it as pre amp for your home and head amp for your 3 headphones above .

This tube pre amp T + A. P 10.2 is one of the best all rounder Headamp

T+A is Germany Audio company

Please visit the website : taelektroakustik.de

If price doesn't matter for you, you can buy it , my T + A. P 10.2 cost about 8000 Euro

I think in UK has T+A brand , you can bring your headphones and try with your source .

Good luck

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Rudi 0504 for your advice re T+A P10.2.Unfortunately there is no distributor in England,so I will not be able to demo.Can't even find a price but if as you state it's 8000 euros, I would want to demo it. How do you find the tube Amp driving the Audeze LCD-3s

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 8
So exactly what aren't you getting or feel is missing from your current set up?

I assume if you attend live concerts you realise its just not possible (technically or physically) to emulate an exact performance of classical music with either speakers or headphones.

Quote:
With ( predominantly ) Classical music can I get more out of the Audeze LCD-3s(and the Senns for that matter).I'm looking for a true representation of the original as possible.I'm not bothered about looks,technicalities or cost.Neither do I want to hear from People who  play games or count LEDs!!

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi 'Complin'
You kindly answered my question on a different forum.You indicated you listened to your music via electrostatic headphones,which somewhat invalidates your response.However,I did think (as I had done before) that perhaps this is the way to go.(and I did state I would listen to them).Thank you.
I agree,it's impossible to obtain an exact representation of the original.However,we all seek a sound that's as true to the original as possible,That's assuming you attend live performances.The purpose of starting this thread(as Andy made comment) was to extract a response  from the American 'Audiophiles', given that's where these products exist.
From your comments,(on the UK Show forum)you didn't indicate you had the type of equipment that I was interested in?So I fail to understand you would be able to answer this question?(whether we agreed or otherwise)
It would be worthless trying to explain how I hear sound.The simple question is as stated.
One assumes there are a number of American 'Audiophiles' listening to Classical music via LCD3s and have opted for a certain Amp as it gives them as true a representation of the original as possible.- possibly having demo'ed various products,which we in England can't.
For me,trying to understand how they individually hear sound is not possible any more than it is for me to ask them to give an opinion on how I hear it.Or indeed to compare with the my Rudistor(one leading American Reviewer replied-private email-that me hadn't even heard of the Rudi)
Hopefully,if a number of 'replies' suggested certain products,then this would assist me making a choice which would otherwise be mostly done 'blind'.
Lastly,how do you know what you're missing until you know what you're missing??

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 8
I think you will get as many opinions as there are days in the year 
confused.gif

I presume you have read through this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/581796/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-3

My understanding is from a very well respected headphone amplifier designer is that the Audeze are current hungry not voltage hungry headphones, like the AKG K1000's.  To maximise the performance ideally you need a current source amplifier, so you might be better exploring a speaker amplifier like one of Nelson Pass's FirstWatt, and running the headphones off the speaker terminals.  These are all solid state designs.

Quote:
Hi 'Complin'
You kindly answered my question on a different forum.You indicated you listened to your music via electrostatic headphones,which somewhat invalidates your response.However,I did think (as I had done before) that perhaps this is the way to go.(and I did state I would listen to them).Thank you.
I agree,it's impossible to obtain an exact representation of the original.However,we all seek a sound that's as true to the original as possible,That's assuming you attend live performances.The purpose of starting this thread(as Andy made comment) was to extract a response  from the American 'Audiophiles', given that's where these products exist.
From your comments,(on the UK Show forum)you didn't indicate you had the type of equipment that I was interested in?So I fail to understand you would be able to answer this question?(whether we agreed or otherwise)
It would be worthless trying to explain how I hear sound.The simple question is as stated.
One assumes there are a number of American 'Audiophiles' listening to Classical music via LCD3s and have opted for a certain Amp as it gives them as true a representation of the original as possible.- possibly having demo'ed various products,which we in England can't.
For me,trying to understand how they individually hear sound is not possible any more than it is for me to ask them to give an opinion on how I hear it.Or indeed to compare with the my Rudistor(one leading American Reviewer replied-private email-that me hadn't even heard of the Rudi)
Hopefully,if a number of 'replies' suggested certain products,then this would assist me making a choice which would otherwise be mostly done 'blind'.
Lastly,how do you know what you're missing until you know what you're missing??

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 8
That's true.I can only take any worth out of any recommendations if enough are saying the same thing?
I've read many forums on this subject(although they may have been started from a slightly different 'start' point) but not this one as yet.I will read it.However,as you state,there is always going to be different opinions.One of the Amps on 'my' list is/was the Woo WA22.The first post on this forum,  recommends the Woo.On another forum the first two replies(to my post) did not and when looking through their respective 'profiles' ,I note they were the previous owners of this Amp.(I've asked why they unloaded this amp-reply not yet received).
So  yes, everybody has there own opinion but I can only state again why I started my forum was that in England we can not Demo these products and have to buy 'blind'.I realise I could get to a position where there's so many conflicting opinions that it becomes worthless-we'll see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back