Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Aug 20, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,171 of 2,843
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #1,173 of 2,843
All good things to he who waits.

Put your order in and be patient. I waited a month for my Elrog 5U4G's to arrive, and I'm so glad I did. Get in line now, or get in line later. There'll always be a line...

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #1,175 of 2,843
Finally ordered some 300B Takatsukis from Partsconnexion... makes me a little suspicious why they are so much cheaper on these than everyone else, but that shop appears to have an impeccable reputation.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,176 of 2,843
I had quite a few back and forth emails with Chris from PC when I was deciding between Tak's or Elrogs regarding their failure rate. I wanted to be sure that buying form a retailer in Canada that I had warranty coverage in the rare event of a failure. Both Tak and Elrogs have a 1 year warranty.

I have bought many parts from PC over the years and their service and delvery time is top shelf as well as having a sharp pencil. It may also be the strong exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar that allows for better pricing at this time.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #1,177 of 2,843
Cheers, yeah, I'll try to find a NOS pair of the CV1377. For 6SL7 you suggested the LinLai over the RCA 5691 redbase, right? I'm looking for a deep, chunky bass w/holographic mids.
RCA 5691 is a bit more v-shaped than Linlai but overall sound is similar. Perhaps Linlai sounds more “modern” than 5691 and both will give you ample bass. Holographic mids are already covered by the WEs. I just listened to my TC yesterday and the bass goes very deep with great punch.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #1,178 of 2,843
Congratulations and great DAC.

I gave the Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic a very serious consideration earlier this year in my hunt for a new DAC. I ended up going with a Weiss DAC501 4ch but the Aqua was a serious proformer.

I bet your digital front-end and the Manley Neo Classic with the new Western Electric 300B tubes is sounding mighty fine!

:k701smile:

I missed your message earlier. It's indeed an amazing combo. Very, very neutral and punchy, not the romantic sound you would expect from a valve pre and DAC w/ a hybrid valve output stage. Very organic but ruthless in letting you know what's on the recording.

Sorry I have to interject

The most mid-centric 6SL7 is the 5691. A *very* close second is the Brimar CV1985. I realize that this question was asked of someone other than me. That said we are a community.

Is the bass strong on the 5691? Is there a prefered decade of manufacturing to track down or any time will do? Like these for example?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225092612376?hash=item346890b118:g:AXAAAOSwyd9iV1aL

RCA 5691 is a bit more v-shaped than Linlai but overall sound is similar. Perhaps Linlai sounds more “modern” than 5691 and both will give you ample bass. Holographic mids are already covered by the WEs. I just listened to my TC yesterday and the bass goes very deep with great punch.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a "classic" like the 5691 first and then get a modern Linlai later to see how they compare.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,179 of 2,843
I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a "classic" like the 5691 first and then get a modern Linlai later to see how they compare.
That’s how I did it. There are still plenty of 5691 for sale so I think you should try those first.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #1,180 of 2,843
Finally ordered some 300B Takatsukis from Partsconnexion... makes me a little suspicious why they are so much cheaper on these than everyone else, but that shop appears to have an impeccable reputation.
I went through the same thought process when getting the Taks from there as well. I concluded that it just speaks to how much mark-up some other places try to get away with <cough>woo</cough>. But I had no complaints with my order from Partsconnexion.

Relatedly, I got a pair of Duelund coupling capacitors (for my 300B amp) about two years back from somewhere else, and was alarmed (haha) to discover they were selling on Partconnexion just recently for literally 35% of what I had paid.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,181 of 2,843
Hi all, I see many familiar names :)

If I am interested in mids, vocals and clarity, which set of 300b should I look towards to? Those elrogs look stunning and from what I have read, is something that I think I will enjoy

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,182 of 2,843

If I am interested in mids, vocals and clarity, which set of 300b should I look towards to? Those elrogs look stunning and from what I have read, is something that I think I will enjoy
WE 🤞🏼

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,183 of 2,843

I would say Takatsuki TA-300B is a perfect match for you. I have 2 pairs of 60s and 70s vintage WE300B and they have the sweetest mid but if you are also looking for clarity, the Tak is your best choice.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,185 of 2,843

If you're looking to trade and give in to musicality with those parameters, the WE 300B would be first pick. If you don't want to make the full trade, Takatsuki 300B maintains a tighter bass response with better extension. If you don't want to make the trade at all, Elrogs have no peer and really show a more cohesive scape.

A special consideration for AN 4300E which blends into the middle and still gives me seller's remorse.

Follow your listening preference.

And also grab a pair of MELZ 1578 6SN7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back