Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Aug 24, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #1,201 of 2,883
I would say Takatsuki TA-300B is a perfect match for you. I have 2 pairs of 60s and 70s vintage WE300B and they have the sweetest mid but if you are also looking for clarity, the Tak is your best choice.
Yup, just got my Tats, they are wonderful. Funny everyone has been talking about Melz lately, I have a bunch from the '50s, been running them for a few weeks now.

Attachments

• 20220824_095357.jpg
    20220824_095357.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 24, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,202 of 2,883
Congrats!

On a side note, companies need to rotate those sockets for us to see the labels, or the tube companies should double print their logos, back, and front.
It looks nice to see logos on tubes for some reason. Anything besides tubes looks terrible.

11111.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,203 of 2,883
I wonder if the older Takatsuki sounded the same.

2535775.jpg

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #1,204 of 2,883
I am wondering if anyone knows what is the expected lifespan of the elrog ER300B, is it on par with other 300b tubes?

Very close to pushing the button for a pair

Aug 26, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,205 of 2,883
I believe this has been covered a few times but wanted to chime in myself on the differences between the WE and Elrogs in the Studio B.

TLDR version using famous female vocalists as metaphors
Elrog ER300B = Etta James or Koko Taylor
WE 300B = Ella Fitzgerald

Slightly longer version. The difference between the WE and Elrog was immediately apparent. The Elrogs have more "growl" and body, hit harder down in lower frequencies, and have faster transient handling but otherwise seem more even across the FR spectrum than the WEs which are more airy (more noticeable treble in the mix), draw out the sound a bit more (slower attack), are intoxicating in the mids, and don't hit down low with the same authority as the Elrogs. Both are great in their own ways but very, very different presentations.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,206 of 2,883
I believe this has been covered a few times but wanted to chime in myself on the differences between the WE and Elrogs in the Studio B.

TLDR version using famous female vocalists as metaphors
Elrog ER300B = Etta James or Koko Taylor
WE 300B = Ella Fitzgerald

Slightly longer version. The difference between the WE and Elrog was immediately apparent. The Elrogs have more "growl" and body, hit harder down in lower frequencies, and have faster transient handling but otherwise seem more even across the FR spectrum than the WEs which are more airy (more noticeable treble in the mix), draw out the sound a bit more (slower attack), are intoxicating in the mids, and don't hit down low with the same authority as the Elrogs. Both are great in their own ways but very, very different presentations.
Thank you for your assessment.

@ColSaulTigh, does this apply to the WA5? I've one with fully internal upgrades and I was debating which way to go with tube upgrades next year. WE or Elrog, on the 5u4g sockets I'm going for a pair of Elrogs.

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #1,207 of 2,883
Thank you for your assessment.

@ColSaulTigh, does this apply to the WA5? I've one with fully internal upgrades and I was debating which way to go with tube upgrades next year. WE or Elrog, on the 5u4g sockets I'm going for a pair of Elrogs.

Elrog 300B = Whitney Houston
WE 300B = Aretha Franklin
Takatsuki 300B = Ella Fitzgerald

Elrogs (300b-Mo are what I have, have not experienced 'standard' ER300B's) are IMO a much more musical, strong, and full presentation. They are not thick, they are not thin, they are simply magnificent. They do NOT sound like any other 300B I've heard yet. They are DIFFERENT, and that's not a bad thing.

The WE's are indeed slower and a touch thicker, with a nice sweetness, but they definitely impart a more "tubey" sound. If softer and slower is your thing (jazz, blues, R&B, soul), then this is the better direction if for nothing else than the intimacy and slowness

The Takatsuki's are where you go if you want a faster, cleaner 300B. They're stronger than the WE's, but not as rich. Classical, female vocals, electric guitar, acoustic anything seems to be their "sweet spot".

As for the 5U4G's, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There simply isn't anything better. Period. Fight me.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #1,208 of 2,883
I forgot to add my obligatory pic:

20220805_205126.jpg

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #1,210 of 2,883
Those VT with woo adapters are amongst my all-time favorite 6SN7 drivers! Excellent tubes! I use them in my amp as well
I'm addicted to these and the Melz 1578's. This pair of Tung Sol's came from Argentina - WWII stock, 1942 US Army Signal Corps. For 80 year-old tubes, they sound magnificient.

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #1,211 of 2,883
I'm addicted to these and the Melz 1578's. This pair of Tung Sol's came from Argentina - WWII stock, 1942 US Army Signal Corps. Because they are 80 year-old tubes, they sound magnificient.
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021]

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,212 of 2,883
I am finally getting my first 300B amp. Put in an order for a Studio B yesterday :) so now the hunt for 300B begins and this thread is amazing...so much good information. I am currently thinking of getting an Elrog 300B to start with and perhaps adding a Genalex Gold Lion PX300B for some variety. Also trying to find a metal base Mullard base GZ34 if I can (although Craig said not to worry about the rectifier and better spend my money on 300B). The Elrog is currently not available on PartsConnexion but since the amp will take 5-6 weeks, I'm hoping to get it by then.

Are there any metal music listeners with their 300B amps? I was wondering if people had any preferences or specific experiences with 300B tubes when listening to heavy metal type stuff. For reference, I primarily listen out of my ZMF Atrium/VC/Auteur and LCD-X.

Also, any suggestions for a good complement to Elrogs besides Genalex (or if Genalex is maybe not a good choice)?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,213 of 2,883
I am finally getting my first 300B amp. Put in an order for a Studio B yesterday :) so now the hunt for 300B begins and this thread is amazing...so much good information. I am currently thinking of getting an Elrog 300B to start with and perhaps adding a Genalex Gold Lion PX300B for some variety. Also trying to find a metal base Mullard base GZ34 if I can (although Craig said not to worry about the rectifier and better spend my money on 300B). The Elrog is currently not available on PartsConnexion but since the amp will take 5-6 weeks, I'm hoping to get it by then.

Are there any metal music listeners with their 300B amps? I was wondering if people had any preferences or specific experiences with 300B tubes when listening to heavy metal type stuff. For reference, I primarily listen out of my ZMF Atrium/VC/Auteur and LCD-X.
Elrog for metal. Jinjer, High on Fire etc. sound awesome. WE will be a bit too “sweet” and slow sounding for metal in my opinion unless you listen to a lot of Doom for which slow is good.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #1,215 of 2,883
Elrog for metal. Jinjer, High on Fire etc. sound awesome. WE will be a bit too “sweet” and slow sounding for metal in my opinion unless you listen to a lot of Doom for which slow is good.
Nice! That's good to know, I do listen to Doom a fair bit so WE might be a good addition in future.

My typical go to for metal is melodic death metal (early In Flames, Carcass, At the Gates etc.), old school thrash (Slayer), Gojira, Trivium, Meshuggah among more modern stuff to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back