Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Aug 4, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #976 of 2,843
Since it is all but impossible to audition/own each and every 300B valve and it's equally impossible to determine what is "best" can we create a scale of sonic character. It could range from..... Darker, warmer, more romantic at one end through Neutral, balanced in the middle and then Brighter, cooler, more analytical at the other end.

Oh yes I have stolen that scheme from HiFi Plus when they were still doing proper headphone reviews!

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #977 of 2,843
Since it is all but impossible to audition/own each and every 300B valve and it's equally impossible to determine what is "best" can we create a scale of sonic character. It could range from..... Darker, warmer, more romantic at one end through Neutral, balanced in the middle and then Brighter, cooler, more analytical at the other end.

Oh yes I have stolen that scheme from HiFi Plus when they were still doing proper headphone reviews!
Impossible, you say?

I beg to differ, sir...
20220625_161501.jpg

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #978 of 2,843
Hey fellas, I am happy to be joining the 300B crowd very soon. I just pulled the trigger on a Cayin HA300mk2, and I can't wait to hear my first 300B. I am an avid tube roller and can't wait to have some serious fun with this amp. To start off, I have never heard any 300B tubes so I am going to stick with the stock ones for a while. I do have a ton of experience with 6SN7's though and have a decent stash already and will definitely be rolling those from the start, as I know for certain new production 6SN7's can't hold a candle next to the better NOS ones. This is a great thread, and I look forward to hearing about everyone's 300B experiences, and sharing some of mine own too. More to come soon. . .

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #980 of 2,843
Impossible, you say?

I beg to differ, sir...
Wow! That's quite the collection and a very cool way to store them as well. Looking at your signature, you don't mess around at all, and have some killer gear. I noticed you are a fellow fuse believer as well, and if you like that SR Purple, you should take a look at the new Audio Magic M1, as that fuse is even better than the purple. As for those tubes, I would love to know which are some of you favorite 300B's and why if you care to share?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #981 of 2,843
Wow! That's quite the collection and a very cool way to store them as well. Looking at your signature, you don't mess around at all, and have some killer gear. I noticed you are a fellow fuse believer as well, and if you like that SR Purple, you should take a look at the new Audio Magic M1, as that fuse is even better than the purple. As for those tubes, I would love to know which are some of you favorite 300B's and why if you care to share?

Cheers!
I'll look into ordering one over the weekend, thanks!

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #982 of 2,843
I'll look into ordering one over the weekend, thanks!
Please pm me your thoughts afterwards.
As SR purple User I'm interested on how they compare

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #983 of 2,843
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #985 of 2,843
I just bought ceramic socket savers from Mrs Xuling. I have many adapters from this seller and their stuff is usually better than most from China.
One was perfect and the other had too much solder on one pin making it way to tight to insert and seat safely. I got a partial refund and reordered a replacement. I used my soldering iron to remove the excess solder from the pin but its still a bit too tight. I'd prefer the Tube Monger version but they are out of stock.

EDIT: I found and ordered the Tube Monger socket savers!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #986 of 2,843
I just bought ceramic socket savers from Mrs Xuling. I have many adapters from this seller and their stuff is usually better than most from China.
One was perfect and the other had too much solder on one pin making it way to tight to insert and seat safely. I got a partial refund and reordered a replacement. I used my soldering iron to remove the excess solder from the pin but its still a bit too tight. I'd prefer the Tube Monger version but they are out of stock.
Mine from Deyan.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #987 of 2,843
One was perfect and the other had too much solder on one pin making it way to tight to insert and seat safely. I got a partial refund and reordered a replacement.
That actually sounds unacceptably horrible

I recommend @Deyan for future adapters/socket savers. There you receive great quality.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #990 of 2,843

Attachments

• F5542205-DAA4-46C4-AC96-14E91E595299.jpeg
    F5542205-DAA4-46C4-AC96-14E91E595299.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back