Headphone that complements or replaces LCD-2
Oct 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #16 of 30
In my case I much rather have the LCD2.2's for comfort.
The clamping is much reduced and the pads are much softer. I did sometimes get jaw ache with the 2.1's.
I can and have worn the 2.2's for hours. Never had any issues with the headband on either.

I have the Revision 2.

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 30
I have LCD2 rev1 and recently switched from foam headband to the leather one and the fit is much more comfortable for me. You should check to see if the screw on the hanger is tight also. I check my every few months as they loosen over time and wiggle down a bit. I get them set on my head so they are the most comfortable, and then I take the screwdriver and tighten them down tight, so they barely even swivel. It keeps them in position on my head really well and I wear them 4 to 8 hours a day while working.

Also, if you have not bought a DAC yet, have you looked at the Audio-gd NFB11.32 DAC? It is a 32 Bit USB/32 Sabre DAC/Amp combo and I bought it a few weeks ago and I have fallen in love with my music and LCD2's all over again.

The DAC/Amp is very detailed, and revealing and it added the details in the highs that the LCD2 lacked and have produced a more well rounded, smoother sound that my previous setups.
The most recent setup was a Violectric V800 DAC and V181 Amp. A balanced setup that went well with my 4 wire Norse Audio Cable, but the NFB11.32 in single-ended sounds much more enjoyable than the Violectric setup did.

Before that, I had an Audio-gd Ref5 DAC with Woo Audio WA6SE Amp with the LCD and that was dark, lacked dynamics, and power and was just too underpowered for my tastes.

A note of warning though, the NFB11.32 does not have an analogue input. I too have a vinyl setup and I am stuck now looking for an amp for the setup. BUT, at less than $400 for the NFB11.32 (with the TCXO crystal option), compared to nearly $2,500 for the V800 & V181 setup, I don't mind getting a tube amp for my TT setup.

BTW-What Phono Stage are you going to use? I have the RSA F117 Nighthawk which is a battery powered phono stage from Ray Samuel's and I can vouch for the sound quality from it. I have a ProJect RM6SB with Sumiko Blue Point Special Cartridge and the F117 is very revealing, and very black background.http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/f-117

Hope this helps you. It really made my LCD2's sound more like the HE series from HifiMan with the added benefit of bass dynamics that I think you will sadly miss with your dub step ( I have listened to the HE5 and HE6 with my setup and others and I really like the mids and highs on them).

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #18 of 30
I have LCD2 rev1 and recently switched from foam headband to the leather one and the fit is much more comfortable for me. You should check to see if the screw on the hanger is tight also. I check my every few months as they loosen over time and wiggle down a bit. I get them set on my head so they are the most comfortable, and then I take the screwdriver and tighten them down tight, so they barely even swivel. It keeps them in position on my head really well and I wear them 4 to 8 hours a day while working.

Also, if you have not bought a DAC yet, have you looked at the Audio-gd NFB11.32 DAC? It is a 32 Bit USB/32 Sabre DAC/Amp combo and I bought it a few weeks ago and I have fallen in love with my music and LCD2's all over again.

The DAC/Amp is very detailed, and revealing and it added the details in the highs that the LCD2 lacked and have produced a more well rounded, smoother sound that my previous setups.
The most recent setup was a Violectric V800 DAC and V181 Amp. A balanced setup that went well with my 4 wire Norse Audio Cable, but the NFB11.32 in single-ended sounds much more enjoyable than the Violectric setup did.

Before that, I had an Audio-gd Ref5 DAC with Woo Audio WA6SE Amp with the LCD and that was dark, lacked dynamics, and power and was just too underpowered for my tastes.

A note of warning though, the NFB11.32 does not have an analogue input. I too have a vinyl setup and I am stuck now looking for an amp for the setup. BUT, at less than $400 for the NFB11.32 (with the TCXO crystal option), compared to nearly $2,500 for the V800 & V181 setup, I don't mind getting a tube amp for my TT setup.

BTW-What Phono Stage are you going to use? I have the RSA F117 Nighthawk which is a battery powered phono stage from Ray Samuel's and I can vouch for the sound quality from it. I have a ProJect RM6SB with Sumiko Blue Point Special Cartridge and the F117 is very revealing, and very black background.http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/f-117

Hope this helps you. It really made my LCD2's sound more like the HE series from HifiMan with the added benefit of bass dynamics that I think you will sadly miss with your dub step ( I have listened to the HE5 and HE6 with my setup and others and I really like the mids and highs on them).

Ok I see, I'm going to keep the LCD-2 so far. I plan to start upgrading my Turntable and vinyl collection then get a new DAC. LOL I need to stop looking at headphones! I mean the LCD-2's only start hurting after a few hours, which to me was nothing but to my friends they told me quote "your bitc**** about comfort when your wearing your headphones for like 2 hours"? "Really man"?! That's when I realized when my head hurts I can just listen to my Klipsch W35 speakers, so in other words take a quick break from the LCD-2s (like every hour or so) and then listen to them again.

These LCD-2's are so amazing, I can hear the instrument separation like nothing before. Led Zeppelin never sounded this good.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:
Ok I see, I'm going to keep the LCD-2 so far. I plan to start upgrading my Turntable and vinyl collection then get a new DAC. LOL I need to stop looking at headphones! I mean the LCD-2's only start hurting after a few hours, which to me was nothing but to my friends they told me quote "your bitc**** about comfort when your wearing your headphones for like 2 hours"? "Really man"?! That's when I realized when my head hurts I can just listen to my Klipsch W35 speakers, so in other words take a quick break from the LCD-2s (like every hour or so) and then listen to them again.

As I've just posted in another thread, it's important to take a regular break from headphone listening anyway, so maybe a certain amount of  discomfort is a good thing. It's especially important with phones of the quality of the LCD-2 as you're not always aware of high listening levels due to the low distortion.

Sit quietly now and listen. Do you hear a slight ringing? Could already be too late....  

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

As I've just posted in another thread, it's important to take a regular break from headphone listening anyway, so maybe a certain amount of  discomfort is a good thing. It's especially important with phones of the quality of the LCD-2 as you're not always aware of high listening levels due to the low distortion.

Sit quietly now and listen. Do you hear a slight ringing? Could already be too late....  

Some good advice there. I used to play guitar live every week for more or less 15 years. My ears have taken a hammering. It took a long time for them to recover once I stopped. I do believe your ears can recover from some damage but they will never be the same. I now avoid loud noise, won't go to rock gigs when my friends are all going, luckily I have different music taste now and you don't get hearing damage at the opera!  

Try and keep your listening levels as low as poss, you can buy as many headphones as you want.. but you only get one pair of ears!  

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 30
You don't get hearing damage at the Opera? Some of those sopranos can break glass!
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
You don't get hearing damage at the Opera? Some of those sopranos can break glass!
tongue.gif

Well, at least not in the cheap seats..
redface.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #23 of 30
Man, if not the 650's for comfort, then I don't know. The HE-500's would be my top pick, although they themselves have a dark tone.
The HD700 might also be a good option. Also, have you tried the vegan (none leather) ear pads, they're quite a bit more comfortable.
Though I don't find any headphone uncomfortable really.

The HE-400's would be my 2nd pick, they're a great headphone, though the comfort isn't a HD650 comparatively.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
The HE-500's would be my top pick, although they themselves have a dark tone.

Funny, I was just reading on the LCD-2 thread that the HE500 is a bit hot in the treble. Now you assure us they have a dark tone. No wonder newbies here can't make up their minds.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Funny, I was just reading on the LCD-2 thread that the HE500 is a bit hot in the treble. Now you assure us they have a dark tone. No wonder newbies here can't make up their minds.
tongue.gif

LOL. I'm only out to save their wallets, geez. 
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #26 of 30
For the confused newbies!
eek.gif

confused_face_2.gif

L3000.gif

Smooth, a little hot, zingy(ish), no hardness. There, thats the HE500's treble :)

Mids are however; Dark, velvety, rich, closed in (in comparison to others) but with a nice amount of depth.

Just a note on bass.... Very nice and deep, a little loose, creeps up onto the mids a little, (better with the velour pads)

The the sound is very clear with black backround, instruments are easily defined and in their right place.. a realistic image. The soundstage is kind of "pillar box format" quite wide but not as "round your head" as others.

I wish I could get to hear a pair 
ksc75smile.gif

that was a joke by the way
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #27 of 30
Alright I believe it's time for a update. First my LCD-2 had been hurting my hand and ears as noted before, but the pressure from the LCD-2's actually made my ears red and sore. That's pretty much when I realized they had to go. Now I'm going for either the T1 or HD800, but since I have a Burson 160D I figured I'm stuck with nothing. The Burson doesn't have much synergy with anything else, only with HD650 and LCD-2. Hopefully my HA160D sells, so I can pick up a Woo Audio WA2 which from what I hear will drive either the T1 or the HD800 flawlessly and miraculously.

Thomas

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 30
Other choices besides the HE-500s could be the AKG Q701s or the T1s.

I'm going with HD800 and either Schiit Mjolnir, Audio-GD Phoenix or WA2/WA22 or Apex Peak or Bottlehead crack.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 30
I'm obviously late with this reply. 

But I think it really depends on the shape of your head, and where you are sensitive (I know obvious). For some reason, my scalp is VERY sensitive. And any HiFiMan product hurts my head after wearing it for an hour. The headband digs into my scalp, even though it has nice padding. This isn't the case for a lot of people (again, it all comes down to the invidiual). 

The LCD-2 is no doubt heavy, and clamps hard on the jaw. But I do not get the same kind of irritation on my sensitive scalp that I do when listening to even something like the HE-400 (which is much lighter than the HE-500).  So it really just depends. The LCD might be heavier, but the thick padded headband and distribution of the weight stops the headband from hurting my scalp. I personally love the way the LCD-2 fits on my head. Although I agree it's too heavy. But I don't get the same pains i would with other cans, just because my scalp is the most sensitive area on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back