Headphone test tracks: Do you like 'em good or bad? Share your music!
Nov 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
When testing new headphones, do you pick good sounding songs to test certain characteristics?
I often find that headphones that wow! me with certain songs are really the ones I end up liking, but on the other hand, I could give a headphone a track that doesn't really sound good and is really hard, and judge it based on that.

Also, post a list of your testing tracks. This thread can also double as one to share music genres.

Undoubtedly THE BEST vocals test track: Paramore - Misery Business acoustic version (also because I like angry, angsty girls)
Bass: Discotronic - Tricky disco
Violin: Mendelssohn, Violin Concerto in E minor Op.64 - I. Allegro molto appasionato (see how the violin makes you feel)
Piano: Beethoven - Appassionata/Tempest/Moonlight 3
Punch n Sparkle: Jay Chou - Ye Qu
Awesomeness/drums: Two Steps From Hell - Norwegian Pirate
Soundstage: Nightwish - Last of the Wilds
Speed: needed - HELP ME FIND A SPEED TEST (heavy metal?)

Post your favorites!

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 21
speed: All shall perish - Wage Slaves, Children of Bodom - Follow the reaper, Benighted - Foetus. Hope that will help
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 21
Fast? Mathcore. <3

Converge- Effigy or Losing Battle or Dead Beat or Cutter
Daughters- Providence By Gas Light or Hyperventilation System or Crotch Buffet
The Number 12 Looks Like You- Grandfather or El Pinata De La Muerte or Sleeping With the Fishes, See?

The last band is recorded the best. The last song is quite fast. I love mathcore, so much. I am not too big into metal though.
If you are a good person listen to these bands albums. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 21
I always listen to music that I've been listening to lately.  A great test track is only a great test track if you're familiar with how it sounds on your own gear without the new component.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Antonio Vivaldi's Concerto Grosso in C Rv558 Allegro Molto is an awesome track to test if your headphone has too much bass.

Oh and Tchaikovsky's Trepak for soundstage, see how far you hear the instruments from.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 21
I like this track to test vocals, guitar and piano at the same time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysz0MJcSwLY - I paid to download the track in 320kbps from some finnish mp3 dl site and it was well worth it.
biggrin.gif
The guitars and vocals are so sweet and forward in this track (the mp3 I have sounds MILES better than the youtube upload ofc). It's the recording that has the most natural sound to it that I've got.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back