HEADPHONE SYSTEMS ADVICE WANTED
Oct 11, 2004 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

malky

New Head-Fier
Hi I am a new member. I have been watching this site for over a year though.I have built up my system over many years which is. Michel Orbe record deck SME V tone arm Ortofon Kontrapunkt b.cartridge Trichord delphini phono stage, Musical Fidelity Nu Vista c.d. and Trivista integrated amp JM Labs Micro Utopia speakers. I am using Senn.HD 600/Zu Mobius and Musical Fidelity XCan V3.The whole system is fantastic, but I get the greatest pleasure from headphone listening,despite the money and effort put into the amp and speakers the detail on headphone is far better. When I consider the money that has gone into amp and speakers I am wondering weather to downgrade this side and aim for a high end headphone rigg, as it is it seems a waste.
I would like advice on headphone amps and maybe different cans to try. I am thinking of Sony MDR CD 3000 or Audio Technica ATH W 1000,I like to hear music as the musicians have recorded it and intended it to be heard nothing added or detracted.I also like a clean tight musical bass line not awsome or bass dominant but well balanced accross the whole spectrum with air and space between instuments, and focused vocals so you can see in your minds eye where everything is placed on the stage in front of you. Is my Xcan good enough or should I try a better valve amp I could afford $1500 if my amp/speakers sell. I would have to buy from U.S.A. as here in England there is not the same market for h/phone systems. There is the Xcan- Graham Slee, Sugden and a few others but they dont go to the high end like in America, but would this cause problems in future if I needed service or repairs (suppose I would just have to ship it back and stand the costs). I think this web site is fantastic I have read a lot of comments on different cans and amps. I didnt realise things could get so good on headphones. My musical tastes are, rock old 70s progresive Led Zep Rory Gallagher (blues) Paul Simon Pink Floyd, Genesis Yes classic rock Rennaisance it goes on.Thanks for reading all this I look forward to your comments .
600smile.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 47
It sounds like you want to give PinkFloyd a PM
280smile.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 47
CD3000s are very clear, but their bass is a little weak for my tastes. A900s are well ballanced and don't need a big amp. I can't help with the W1000, unless someone lends me some to add to my review
evil_smiley.gif

Don't worry too much about buying from the states, I do it all the time. You save so much money that in the unlikely event you have to send them back, you'll probably still be ahead. Well that's the case for me here in NZ, dunno about England
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 47
Since you've got efficient speakers, consider a Cary 300SEI to power both your HD600 and the JM micro uts. I've never owned the MuFi X3, but I've owned the X1 and X2 (people say the X2 is better then the X3 for the HD600). The Cary can really make your Senn sing compared to the MuFi. For its price, it'd better!
smily_headphones1.gif
The Cary also makes for a good amp. If detail and finesse is what you're missing in your speaker rig, perhaps a SET amp can help. Singlepower amps are always said to go well with Sennheiser headphones as well. I'll know on a personal level by the end of this month
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 47
I've heard the old JM Mini powered by a 211 SET and it sounded wonderful. I was less impressed with the Mini powered by a Levinon 333. The 211 obviously couldn't compete in headroom and dynamics, but the purity of tone was palpable. And the slight analytical edge I personally associate with the Utopia line was nullified by the 211 amp.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 47
I am in the same boat (at least philisophically). It seems that headphone investments are 10 times more rewarding than speaker investments. So if you are happy with your speaker setup now, stop upgrading. Only upgrade your headphones, and portable system. If you have people over your house they will be more than impressed by halfway decent speakers (even my JBLs "blow them away"), and you can enjoy your headphones in solitude.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by malky
By the way are there any more Englanders members of this site
biggrin.gif

Seriously "englanders"???? Das Englander???? Well I live in Wales does that count?????But I was born In Reading
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by malky
I am thinking of Sony MDR CD 3000 or Audio Technica ATH W 1000,I like to hear music as the musicians have recorded it and intended it to be heard nothing added or detracted.I also like a clean tight musical bass line not awsome or bass dominant but well balanced accross the whole spectrum with air and space between instuments, and focused vocals so you can see in your minds eye where everything is placed on the stage in front of you.

It sounds like ATH's might be a good fit for you. If you can, try to get your hands on a set of W2002..they are considerably better all across the board compared to the w1000's. As Len suggested, the Cary 300SEI is an excellent headphone amp that, when used with the right tubes, can really make the w2002's sing (it's my current setup).

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 47
Are the W2oo2 available new in the States. As for the Cary, is this amp meant to be for headphones in a serious way or more for speaker systems. You see I could get rid of the Trivista ,get a top headphone only amp and new cans if desirable, then pick up an integrated amp second hand say Musical Fidelity A3.2 and even down grade the speakers. I would then have a serious headphone rigg and the speaker side would be good enough for occasional use with not too much investment involved in that side. So what I am getting at here is am I spending bucks on the Cary for good speaker side where not really required, when that money could be invested in my preffered headphone side. By the way what I should have said was are there any more members from Britain on the site, it would be nice to find out how much interest there is over here in this.
What about the Meier Audio Prehead or the Emmelines.
600smile.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 47
For someone looking for natural music represented as it was recorded, I'm surprised to see the ATH W1000/W2002/CD 3000/A900. I've owned the A900 and also auditioned the W1000/CD 3000. First--I wouldn't even consider the Audio Technicas, unless you want the looks. The CD3k will outperform the W1000 and come very close to the W2002 (though some claim with a Carlo modded Sudgen the AT line-up sounds amazing)> The A900 sounds very similar to the CD3k, but much cheaper.

Second, regarding natural music--none of them, to my ears. They are all too bright and throw out an artificially large soundstage. If you want natural look to the Senns. Imaging/soundstage are spot on, instrument tonality is incredibly natural, and they are still refined and detailed (though admittedly not as much as the others).

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 47
Yes the brightness does concern me. I read on the site that the CD 3k can manifest itself as a ringing in the ears after a few hours of listening mmmm. worrys me a bit.Maybe upgrade to Senn 650 then
I would want an headphone amp with at least 4 line inputs. But if feeding through a pre amp instead how much effect on the sound would that have. I have played around with the Xcan feedindg CD and phono stage direct but cant detect a difference . Does the signal just go streight in and out of the Pre to the tape outs without going through the amps buffer systems etc. ( im not electronicallt minded, I just listen to the music).

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 47
If you have a MF Xcan V3 whay not a Grado RS-1 (or PS-1)? The most rockers headphones on the planet...

Best!
Nicola

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 47
It appears to me you are really liking the Senn sound, so why not upgrade to the 650, grab yourself a Ray Samuels Emmeline II Stealth. I've tried various top notch phones, but ultimately, nothing really quite satisfies me like the 600, now 650, paired with a good amp. By the way, there are plenty of good amps out there. I just happen to like the Stealth since it pulls double duty in my setup and does them very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back