HEADPHONE SYSTEMS ADVICE WANTED
Oct 12, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 47
The HD 650 + RP5 cav combo (I had for a good time) is a very little dream setup! But I do not consider the HD 650 the best for rock...

Best!
Nicola

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by malky
As for the Cary, is this amp meant to be for headphones in a serious way or more for speaker systems.

When you push down on the headphone toggle, the Cary 300SEI directs its entire single ended triode circuitry to your headphones. So you can say it is a serious headphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course, you can go really nuts (like bozebuttons) and mod the Cary so it can only play headphones
eek.gif
tongue.gif

BTW, Singlepower amps with Senn HD650 seems to be a highly praised combo to consider.

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
When you push down on the headphone toggle, the Cary 300SEI directs its entire single ended triode circuitry to your headphones. So you can say it is a serious headphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course, you can go really nuts (like bozebuttons) and mod the Cary so it can only play headphones
eek.gif
tongue.gif

BTW, Singlepower amps with Senn HD650 seems to be a highly praised combo to consider.

I agree that the Cary 300SEI is by far the best dynamic headphone amp I've heard. It sings with Senns and it's better than SinglePower offerings as good as they are.

You're in a difficult predicament. I think I would leave the speaker rig as is and concentrate on the headphone set up. I don't think I would downgrade the speaker set up.

I would suggest that you do the following:

Save your money and buy the Cary 300 SEI specifically for your headphone and that will be that for your set up. It will be as good as it gets with dynamic phones. Alternatively, save up for Sennheiser HE90 phones and the Gilmore electrostatic amp. That will give you reference quality in your headphone set up. It's a step above the HD600/650 combo with Cary. It will get you to the point where you can't get any better with headphones and it will set you back about US$6000

Oct 13, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 47
What price is the Cary 300 SEI in the States and where would I get one that could be shipped to the U.K. when you say leave the speaker set up as it is , do you mean sell the Trivista and use the Cary for driving the speakers as well. I am considering this if the Trivista sells, will the Cary perform as well as the Trivista on the Speaker side.As to Grado being a good rock phone, I have thought of these along with the Senns as I listen to folky type stuff as well like Suzzane Vega, Paul Simon, Sade etc. I would be covered for most of my listening, but I am concerned about the comfort of the Grados.

Oct 13, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 47
Cary retails for $5000 in the US, but can sometimes be had for significantly less. Sorry, but I don't know who would be able to export it (I'd contact Cary and ask).

I'd keep the Trivista for now if you're happy with it and don't need the money. It's impossible to say whether you'll prefer the Cary or the Trivista.

I've owned various Grados in the past; comfort was definitely an issue with me.

Oct 13, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #23 of 47
Malky,

Given what you said earlier about being sensitive to brightness, I would not recommend Grados. Grados are extremely bright. I find most of their line painfully bright and some just barely on the verge of livable.

I am not sure that the Cary 300SEI with its 15 watts per channel is sufficient to drive the Micro Utopias. They're not the most efficient speakers, so I would think twice about using the Cary as anything other than strictly a headphone amp.

The 300 SEI is significantly better than any of the Singlepower offerings and it can be had for about $2500-$3000 on the used market. If you can swing that amount of money for a headphone amp, I think you'll be extremely pleased.

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 47
$7636 IS THE PRICE OF THIS CARY 300 SEI HERE IN (RIP OFF) BRITAIN. IF I CANT GET ONE FROM U.S.A. SOURCES I AM NOT PAYING THIS PRICE OVER HERE.Its the same with most of the high end Hi Fi here.
eek.gif
I would like some advise on Supra amps. Are they good with Senns 650. Maybe upgrade to 650 I think.

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #25 of 47
Frankly, I didn't particularly care for the Supra. I thought it was a bit too bright and edgy. In fact, I liked the PPX3 6sn7 better than the supra. It wasn't as detailed, but it has the same sound signature as the Cary. Whereas it sacrifices some detail, it's VERY musical and at $650, it's a good purchase.

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #26 of 47
Re...Above post Mmmm...See if I go for the Cary I will have to sell the Tri vista as originally planned to help fund it, otherwise I would have to look ito something at this price level . What you sugest here sounds interesting. The problem is with all this is I can only go off write ups and advice from this site, cant do any dem listening as I cant get these amps over here and some of the cans as well, $650 isnt bad at all thats £362 Ill check em out. Good with HD 650 as well I take it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 47
It may be the compromise you're looking for. BTW, the PPX3 comes in two versions: the one with the 6cg7 tubes and the 6sn7 tubes. The first version is $500 and the second is $650. I STRONGLY recommend going for the 6sn7 version.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 47
I have just emailed Single Power for a supplier or if I could buy one direct. I will let you know how I get on.I have been looking at the pics. Very nice. I take it it will be a lot better than my XCan V3.....Malc
cool.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 47
I don't think he has suppliers. He will send you one direct. Make sure he knows you're in England so that he'll build you one with 220v power supply.

The Musical Fidelity Xcan v3 is not a bad amp. I like the PPX3 better because it has that Cary musicality to it. It really sings with the Senns. The Cary is a next step up though. Start saving your pennies.
icon10.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #30 of 47
I've owned the Cary 300SEI with Nos 6sn7s and Western Electric 300Bs and I have a Singlepower Maestro (with upgrades) and I find the Singlepower to be a far superior amplifier.

The Cary 300SEI can be regularly found on AudiogoN for $2,500 or less in mint condition - this does NOT get you the Western Electric 300Bs though, they would cost you between $650 and $800 more. The standard Maestro starts somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,400 I believe but that in new not used.

The Maestro is a preamplifier and the Cary is an intergrated amplifier.

The Cary is very romantic sounding in my opinion - although I have not heard Bozebuttons modded Cary which I understand betters the standard 300SEI for headphone use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back