Headphone suggestions please!
Jul 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JusticeForAll28

New Head-Fier
So I need a little advice on which headphones I should buy.

I'm looking for something thats around the 100 dollar mark, that's closed or at least some sort of noise isolation because I plan to wear them while Im out and about... I have to take city transit to work everyday. A great sound... punchy bass and clear highs, portable... I dont want a massive bulky set.

I went ahead a week or so ago and ordered a pair of Sennheiser hd228 headphones. They got pretty good reviews online and you cant beat the Sennheiser brand. When I finally got them home, I cant you how disappointed I was. They advertised 'extreme bass' or some such on the package but I soon realized that was a lie as they has next to NO bass. I returned them. For almost a 100 bucks and a brand name I expected more.

I went to Walmart and bought a pair of Sony MDR xb300 headphones. Where they are better than the Sennheiser, they dont have very good mid or highs.

I wanted to buy a set of Grado sr60i's but I live in canada and they arnt the easiest thing to come across. Plus they are open headphones.

Any advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 12
If you want headphones for out and around, stay away from Grados.  They leak sound like crazy.

Sometimes, you can get the Shure SRH-440 or DJ-750 for close to that price at Future Shop.  Both of them have significant bass, and an excellent overall sound.  The SRH-440 is also $100 at Long and McQuade.  If you want something you can buy in Canada for around $100, I doubt you can do much better.

I cant, in good conscience, recommend the 240s, though.  The 440s are definitely worth the extra cash.

There are probably a few other good deals to be had, but there's a lot of crap in that price range.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 12
I checked out those Shure and I think they would be a little too bulky for what I am looking for. If I had a choice between these two sets which would you think I should get?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sennheiser-sennheiser-headband-headphone-px-200-ii-px-200-ii/10144117.aspx?path=d9ae1acdbe0ee7c69aaa71a1c186e9feen02

or

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-on-ear-dj-headphones-se-mj51-se-mj51/10146423.aspx?path=29dcf408aa74ea531cf52d5c2fb1344een02

Thanks again for any and all help!

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 12
do not get the senn px200ii.. they really do sound teeny (i have heard them) they have no bass at all. Try the mj 51, saw them in the store today and they really do look good, unfortunately din have the time to audition it. in my opinion, it shld sound better than the senns px 200ii. Whenever possible, let ur ears decide for u before buying.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 12
I actually went ahead and bought both sets with the intention of returning whatever pair I liked the least.

Where I agree the px200 II do sound a bit on the tiny side and are a little short on bass, they sound a lot better then the mj 51's. The mj 51's have a great deep sound which I really like, but the highs are REALLY harsh on my ears. I have 30 days to return whatever pair I don't want, so Im going to keep them and see if anything changes with a little usage.

A couple questions for the experts in here:
1. Will the bass improve on the px200 II's with time and burn in?
2. Will the mj 50's get less harsh with burn in aswell do you think?

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Have you considered the ath-m50?

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Have you tried the M-Audio Studiophile Q40?

I don't mean to sound redundant, as I posted something similar on another thread.

But do a forum search for ATH-M50 vs Q40.
Some say the Q40 is better than the ATH-M50, especially in the bass aspects.
I have to agree.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 12
for a hundred you wont find better then the SRH 440  ( AND NOW AT SAM ASH THEY ARE $25 OF THAT  I USED $10 OF THAT TO GET THE 3 YEAR EXTRA WARENTY NOW I HAVE A 4 YEAR WARENTY ON THESE PHONES  cause you never know.!!!! ps. i have 2 cats..lol   enough said...lol
beyersmile.png

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Two things about the PX200-II:

1. The sound isn't that small. Try them with some wide-sounding recordings or even games, you'll see that they sound big for being so small.
2. The bass is something you'll just have to get used to. It's very detailed, no midbass humps, no rolloff, but it cannot achieve any sort of impact to make your body react. You have to activelly listen to the bass on these cans (I'm talking about music complex music here, e.g. progressive rock, metal and such. If you listen to bass-heavy music, you'll feel the bass too).

That being said, I think they're very good headphones, considering the tiny size and portability. If you can, burn them in for 30 hours or so before deciding. You might grow to like cans with no bass boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back