Headphone/ Soundcard for Gaming
Mar 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #76 of 82
The noticeable part of (electrical/mechanical) burn in happens in the first hours, after that the changes in sound are smaller and smaller.

The biggest and most important burn in is actually the mental one, as the owner gets used to the sound of the headphone. This takes a lot longer and there are no shortcuts.

Forget about pink noise and all that, just enjoy their sound.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #77 of 82
To those that uses X-Fi for the gaming, when you on the CMSS-3D, do you tweak the slider to surrounding, or just leave it at default ? Or... ?

And do you guys on the other options like EAX, crystallizer ?

And how do you guys switch mode ?
Ever since I started it, it only show me the entainment mode, how to switch to gaming mode ?

And.. anyone use creative alchemy ?

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #78 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Astro mixamp (for my PS3). I have no problem locating people by sound in MW2 or TF2 (PC, without Astro mixamp, naturally). I'll have to give the AD700 another shot though.

How is the positional audio on your PS3 with that Astro mixamp setup for games like MW2?

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #79 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those that uses X-Fi for the gaming, when you on the CMSS-3D, do you tweak the slider to surrounding, or just leave it at default ? Or... ?

And do you guys on the other options like EAX, crystallizer ?

And how do you guys switch mode ?
Ever since I started it, it only show me the entainment mode, how to switch to gaming mode ?

And.. anyone use creative alchemy ?

In Game Mode for the audio control panel I have with my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, there is no slider for CMSS-3D. It's either on or it's off. The slider comes in Entertainment Mode.

I have EAX effects checked off in the mixer tab in Game Mode. I have the crystalizer enabled and about midway between minimum and maximum.

I have the Sennheiser PC350s which are a little light on the bass, so in Game Mode I have a 6db bass boost with a 100hz cutoff frequency. I should probably lower this cutoff frequency, but haven't played with it yet.

To change modes the fastest way, you right click on the audio icon in the system tray and it will have a thing to switch modes on the fly. The longer way would be to double click the icon, open the control panel, and then switch modes.

I sometimes forget to do this, but Game Mode is key for FPS games. On strategy games, you don't have to worry about things like direction, so with RTS or any genre not FPS, I put it in Entertainment Mode because I have it set up for a fuller sound that way.

Hope this helps.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #80 of 82
Any of you guys have recommendations for closed gaming headphones? Soundstage is inferior I know, but with a decent X-Fi card it still should be good enough, yes? I require closed headphones for minimal sound leakage/good isolation, or very closed-like open headphones haha. Any closed headphones with a soundstage good for gaming? Preferably <$75?
I'd get a gaming headset but..I want to use my headphones for everything - music, movies, AND gaming. The main reason I need them closed is probably for the music, but yeah, I can only justify buying one pair of multipurpose headphones for now haha. Suggestions?

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #81 of 82
I'll bring this over from another thread to continue the discussion here:

No headphone are superior to the other for gaming. As long as the headphones you pick don't mask the frequencies that matter (ie. footsteps) ANY pair of headphones will do. I've gamed with cheap Sony Earbuds to AD700s and HD595s and guess what? They allowed me to pinpoint direction exactly the same between the three. No one was superior to the other in terms of directional sound. It's a crock of you know what if you think otherwise. Not once have I seen science backing up statements regarding superior headphones for directional sound.

PS: I would consider myself a semi-pro gamer for quite a few years. I've played in high level leagues/tournaments in Quake, CS, CSS, and COD.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1ce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll bring this over from another thread to continue the discussion here:

No headphone are superior to the other for gaming. As long as the headphones you pick don't mask the frequencies that matter (ie. footsteps) ANY pair of headphones will do. I've gamed with cheap Sony Earbuds to AD700s and HD595s and guess what? They allowed me to pinpoint direction exactly the same between the three. No one was superior to the other in terms of directional sound. It's a crock of you know what if you think otherwise. Not once have I seen science backing up statements regarding superior headphones for directional sound.

PS: I would consider myself a semi-pro gamer for quite a few years. I've played in high level leagues/tournaments in Quake, CS, CSS, and COD.

This is a very interesting point of view. Can anyone refute this with anything solid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back