Headphone/ Soundcard for Gaming
Feb 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ wmf , is the Creative X-Fi Extreme music I alrdy got good enough?

@ Bengt77, Thanks for the headups!

its fine, definately better than anything on board. i have a creative titanium fatality pro soundcard. i am going for the d2000s, as i need closed headphones at home. they are low imp, at 25ohms, but of course, will sound better with an amp. the Ad700 is very popular and you will be happy with your purchase.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #62 of 82
hehe I hope so, for what kind of genre in music are the AD700 actually good for?

So if i got it right. For music listening a Closed ear is prefered, and for Gaming/movie a Open ear is predered.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #63 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe I hope so, for what kind of genre in music are the AD700 actually good for?

So if i got it right. For music listening a Closed ear is prefered, and for Gaming/movie a Open ear is predered.

well the consensus of opinion, says that open is the way to go for gaming.
bigger soundstage, positional sound etc.
musicwise, i guess anything that is not too bass heavy, as the AD700s are a little thin on bass.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #65 of 82
Heh heh... you're going to hate me for this, but might I suggest the ATH-AD900?

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #66 of 82
Ultrasone PRO 750 (or used PRO 900 if you can get it that cheap) or Denon D2000 will be great picks. The Beyer is great but having a full closed can could come in handy and also the Beyer is very difficult to drive.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #67 of 82
@ bengt77
wink.gif

@ stang.

Thanks buddy for your contribution in this thread again. The Denon D2000 seems to be the cheapest out of those. Since I wait for the soundcard. I think I would use the X-FI for my gaming system pairing with the ATH AD700. So I have to use the Denon on a onboard for a short while. Would it work out?

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #68 of 82
No prob
smily_headphones1.gif
It would probably sound pretty bad until burn in has been completed. Also, if you have the guts, do the MarkL mod to the drivers, probably best not to stuff the pads yourself. Using any headphone will usually sound bad with on board sound. I am sure you could always switch to the X-Fi Extreme Music when you are not gaming
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #69 of 82
I wont have to start a new thread!!
I'm in the same situtation of the OP.. but I don't want to buy 2 pair of headphones.. My main use is pc games + music (65% and 35% use approx)

I will certainly buy the X-Fi Forte because Ive heard soo much good things about it. But I cant decide between these 3 headphones for my needs, can anyone help?

-Sennheiser HD-555
-Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
-Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 Ohm

Which one can better suit my needs if I'm looking for deep atmosphere in gaming and music listenning ( all kind of music from classical to rap to metal). I live in Canada by the way

Thanks for the help!

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #70 of 82
Probably the DT770. Cross the AD700 from your list if you are going to use it with rap and metal. Classical will be nice on them. Get them if you plan on getting another pair of cans JUST for music in the near future, but otherwise, I would settle for the Beyer's. Be aware, the DT880 are much better than the DT880 for gaming and some prefer it for music as well. I do not like Sennheiser 5** series. Well, most Sennheiser's have poor build quality anyway, the headbands seem to break a lot.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #71 of 82
I'm an avid gamer and have been playing FPS games for well over a decade; couple seasons of Counter-Strike 1.3-1.6 CAL-I (knocked out by Team3D in the playoffs every season but what can you do) under my belt when I was younger and had the time to play at a top level. I've been through a ton of headphones throughout the years including the AD700 and the DT880/600 and I've come to one conclusion; sound engine in games are terrible.

Ten years later, Counter-Strike (non-source) still has the best sound localization and I could pinpoint everything with a piece of crap $10 Logitech headset that I had to replace every two months cause it kept breaking and did so for the couple years I spent playing competitively. Now that I'm older and can afford the nicer stuff; I'm using a solid DT800/600 setup and I'm pretty much clueless most of the time in current games.

If you can hold out a bit longer, I think we'll be getting a real treat when Battlefield Bad Company 2 comes out in a week. This will be the first game in many, many, many years where the developer actually spent some time on the sound engine and from all reports the results are mind blowing. Give it two weeks and there will be a lot of talk regarding what is the best headphone for gaming.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #72 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an avid gamer and have been playing FPS games for well over a decade; couple seasons of Counter-Strike 1.3-1.6 CAL-I (knocked out by Team3D in the playoffs every season but what can you do) under my belt when I was younger and had the time to play at a top level. I've been through a ton of headphones throughout the years including the AD700 and the DT880/600 and I've come to one conclusion; sound engine in games are terrible.

Ten years later, Counter-Strike (non-source) still has the best sound localization and I could pinpoint everything with a piece of crap $10 Logitech headset that I had to replace every two months cause it kept breaking and did so for the couple years I spent playing competitively. Now that I'm older and can afford the nicer stuff; I'm using a solid DT800/600 setup and I'm pretty much clueless most of the time in current games.

If you can hold out a bit longer, I think we'll be getting a real treat when Battlefield Bad Company 2 comes out in a week. This will be the first game in many, many, many years where the developer actually spent some time on the sound engine and from all reports the results are mind blowing. Give it two weeks and there will be a lot of talk regarding what is the best headphone for gaming.

Something is definitely wrong with you then
biggrin.gif
I know exactly where my enemies are in Urban Terror and COD4. Well, that's when I still played. X-Fi Elite Pro with CMSS-3D on using ATH-AD700 unamped.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #73 of 82
I have the Astro mixamp (for my PS3), and I also have both the DT990Pro and AD700. The DT990Pro is definitely more fun sounding; explosions sound less like poofs and more like booms, same with gunshots. I've not done an A/B comparison of the AD700 and DT990, but my guess is that the soundstage of both are very similar. I have no problem locating people by sound in MW2 or TF2 (PC, without Astro mixamp, naturally). I'll have to give the AD700 another shot though.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #75 of 82
oke I just burn in like 20 hours, with pink noise it does sounds better, well could be in my mind. What soundfile is actually the best for the ATH-AD700 to burn in, since I use it for gaming, what frequenties range are mostly used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back