Headphone softies
Jan 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 7
It's hard to say since they don't post any exact measurements for how small the pads are, or how wide they might be able to stretch.. The comments say they're maybe too tight for the MDR-7506, which is very close in size to the M50 (it has a smaller driver, but larger relative ear-cup). I think the only way you'll know for sure is to try em out yourself.

Another thing to consider is that they don't accommodate the chamber of over-ear headphones. They're completely taught, which might get annoying for your ears (it's a personal preference, really, but I for one use over-ear phones specifically so that my ears are left alone).

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 7
I just got a set of Beyer DT  1350's that have way too much bass for my taste. And indeed a pair of softies does reduce the bass,as one
would think. As the softies worsen the seal between the headphones and your head, this is to be expected. It would seem to me
that headphone makers purposely exaggerate the bass response as a marketing ploy. A lot of folks,particularly younger one,like a lot of
bass. I would rather hear more of a "realistic" (to me that is) bass response. I do realize that everyone hears things  differently and everyone's
taste is different and I certainly would not want to dictate  either of these highly individual qualities to others.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 7
It's really not just the bass response. Softies detract from the punch and clarity in the mids and highs respectively as well. Overall they are great for when you are out and about. They keep your ears cool in the summer and warm in the winter with the added bonus of protecting the earpads. Also when I'm in public I prefer to be somewhat aware of my surroundings.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Lourendo,

Thanks so much for your very knowledgeable  reply. I must admit my post was not based on a lot of listening and I only
paid attention to the bass response. I  will do some more listening with your comment in mind. To me,it does seem logical
that every time you put something in front of a headphone (or speaker for that matter) it has to change the sound in some
way. The guy who developed softies (a production sound mixer for film) has stated that he came up with basic idea
when he was working outside in a Chicago winter and his ears were freezing cold.The softies evidently helped keep
his ears warm.Having spent my formative years in Iowa and Nebraska I can say that I have never been as cold in my
life as when I had to change planes in Chicago at Christmas.In those days you did not have anything like you do now. (A passageway
that was rolled out to connect to the plane in order to protect passengers from the weather.) They would wheel out a set
of open stairs and you would walk down them and set foot on the cold tarmac and walk a distance to the terminal. So I certainly
sympathize with anyone trying to work out side in that atmosphere.

As to the matter of too much bass in the Beyer DT 1350's I have thought about simply putting a capacitor in series
with the headphone feed to try to roll off the bass some. I guess they do make  things like this for the car stereo
trade or I could try to rely on my skimpy electronics training of fifty years ago.(yes I am am an old guy now,age 73).

So does anyone have any ideas as to how to reduce the bass response in the 1350's? I am running with the bass
control on the amp as rolled of as possible and it still has more bass than I want. And I do realize as I said in my post
above that the amount of bass response wanted in a set of phones is a very personal thing. So I guess all I am really
doing here is expressing my opinion which I don't expect anyone else to agree with. I must say that it seems to me
that a lot of modern headphones emphasize bass to an unnatural degree.But of course that is just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back