headphone search!
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

halifax70

New Head-Fier
hello all!
i'm fairly new to quality audio, and i'd like to get a nice and cheap set of headphones (about 60 USD and under, but i'm flexible.) because i'm really sick of my ipod in ear POS'.  originally, i set out to buy some headphones i will not name, but after searching here i changed my mind. :wink:  
what i'm looking for is quality all around sound, durability, and price.  i listen to everything except country, so it's a wide range of musical styles.  i'd like to be able to snowboard and ride the bus with them, so it'd be nice if it's got a decent amount of sound blockage.  price... is pretty cheap. i'm not looking to spend a lot of money because i'm not that into sound... yet. 
anyway, after lurking a bit, i've found a few sets of headphones that have been recommended to ppl who seem to have the same wants as i do:

JVC HA-s700
dbi pro 700
Shure SRH44
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD201

i'm wondering which one i should go with; if you have any other suggestions feel free to add on!
thanks very much!

Halifax

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 10
You might want to add the JVC HARX 700/900 to the list, though you might have trouble snowboarding with them.....
Also, free bump cause I'm looking at nearly all of those headphones also 
redface.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Spend an extra $20 and get the M50's used. You won't be disappointed. The isolate a lot better than the SRH440's, and sound better IMO. They have a lot of clamping force also, so they should stay on your head pretty good (If they have too much clamp it's easy enough to stretch the headband out a little bit).

If that's too far out of your price range then someone else will have to chime in about the rest of your list
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 10
hey thanks guys!

okay, so something i should have said earlier: i would normally use these headphones with my ipod. which isn't such a big deal, except my ipod is a shuffle?  i've looked at some specs and i've heard that the sound quality isn't as good?  i don't know too much about this. 
i've got a convertor so any headphones i'll be using will be okay. 
also, has there been any more news about the superlux hd668b hp set?

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 10
+1 for M50, although I'm not sure any headphones would be good to use while snowboarding.  Seems like anything could get damaged by either falling off and hitting the ground or you crashing.  I don't know, maybe you should look into IEMs for that.

Good luck though!

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
okay.  what exactly is i e m, besides the term in ear monitor?

I dunno, that's the only IEM acronym that comes to mind.  Why the question?

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Some of the best bang for buck IEM's are found in the Maximo line up.   Check out the iMetal range.  iM-390, iM-490, and iM-590.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back