Headphone Sale on Amazon- Beyerdynamic DT770 for $126
Nov 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #257 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These headphones are better than I though they'd be. I'd say they beat the A700 by a decent margin and if anyone though they were bass shy I'd have to disagree.

Agree, it may be that I'm listening to some bass heavy music, but wow, this is still pretty impressive.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #260 of 278
Those lucky folks who got in on the sale at Amazon got themselves one heck of a good deal. The DT 770 250ohm headphone sounds very, very good now that've had a couple of weeks to burn-in. Properly amped (a necessity) they offer a fairly full sonic spectrum with enough bass to satisfy all but the real bassheads among us.

They turned out to be exactly what I was looking in a good closed back headphone.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #262 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always kept my MS1s around because I thought they were my best headphones for rock but now I think the DT770 are my best rock headphones.

Hate to admit it, but I prefer them to K271S for metal. As smooth, natural and mellow AKG is, it just misses that extra bite DT770 delivers. Plus all Beyers have sort of metallic timbre, which works perfect for this genre.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #263 of 278
After many more hours of serious listening I do really like these.

But they are a touch sharp and metallic on anything but a tube amp.

Using an extra 75ohms really helps smooth things out - however you loose some clarity and detail.

My hunch is recabling them with some cardas and extra impedance would make these amtrue joy

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #264 of 278
I finally received mine after having them shipped to Finland. I've immediately put them through some testing with some of my reference tracks, using my Apogee Duet as a source. I've been alternating between the Duet's amp and my Gilmore Lite w/DPS, and the first thing I'll say in the case of my gear is that there is almost no discernible difference across the amp changes, which somehow comes as no surprise to me (this seems to be the case with most of the higher impedance headphones I've tested similarly).

They are rather bright (or at least "bright-ish") headphones, sharing surprisingly little in common with the DT770 Pro/80, which I have owned twice. The 2005 Edition seems significantly more detailed to me, but somehow manages to keep recording flaws from being painful. They remind me of my K601 in this respect, except that the treble does sound a bit more metallic. After taking my time to read many various impressions of these headphones, I'm pleasantly surprised to note that they actually passed my favorite treble torture test track - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' Let Love In from the album Let Love In. While being probably as bright as my Grado SR-225, they do a far better job of serving up the hot treble without the Grado "screechiness."

Moving on to some testing of the bass reproduction, I listened to the tracks Teen Age Riot and Silver Rocket from Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation album. These tracks have bass that I think should have loads of impact and rumble-free speed, and it's not very often that I enjoy these tracks to their potential when testing new headphones, as most of them don't give me what I want. After my testing with these brand new headphones, my mind hasn't changed about my ER-4S + Gilmore Lite doing the best job of any combination I've heard so far. I wish I could cross test with the DT770 Pro/80 right now, because I definitely recall liking how those did with these tracks. I would say that I think the DT770 Pro/80 is a very fine headphone for Sonic Youth enjoyment, at least when paired with a decent amp (I last used mine with my Duet), while the Edition 2005 only does so-so.

For bass depth and extension, I listened to Tori Amos' I Can't See New York from her Scarlet's Walk album. There is no fair comparison between the Pro/80 and Edition 2005 here. This track is representative of the kind of music that turned me off of the Pro/80, as the bass really was overwhelming. The Edition 2005 handles this whole track beautifully. I couldn't want any lower-reaching bass than this, and the impact and "feeling" of the bass is there indeed. I will revisit this track soon to pay closer attention to the reproduction of Tori's vocals. For now, I've limited my concentration to just a few key things.

It will probably be a few days before I listen to any headphones besides these, but I don't suspect the sound is going to change dramatically.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #265 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will probably be a few days before I listen to any headphones besides these, but I don't suspect the sound is going to change dramatically.

Not sure if that was completely my imagination but I observed that treble tamed down at around 150 hours, then at some point mids became unbearable recessed, now they seem back to where they were out of the box.
Still can't make up my mind if I like those or K271S better, each offers different traits. Detailed, spacious and snappier DT880, mellower, meatier, less bright, with sweat pronounced midrange K271S. I'd say in a long term K271S is a winner being less fatiguing and for the lack of the best word "organic", DT880 has more wow factor and seems to suit better genres like metal. And DT880 almost totally disappear when wearing.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #266 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if that was completely my imagination but I observed that treble tamed down at around 150 hours, then at some point mids became unbearable recessed, now they seem back to where they were out of the box.
Still can't make up my mind if I like those or K271S better, each offers different traits. Detailed, spacious and snappier DT880, mellower, meatier, less bright, with sweat pronounced midrange K271S. I'd say in a long term K271S is a winner being less fatiguing and for the lack of the best word "organic", DT880 has more wow factor and seems to suit better genres like metal. And DT880 almost totally disappear when wearing.

I'm guessing you meant to say the DT 700s, as that's what the poster was refering to, not the DT 880s?

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #267 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hate to admit it, but I prefer them to K271S for metal. As smooth, natural and mellow AKG is, it just misses that extra bite DT770 delivers. Plus all Beyers have sort of metallic timbre, which works perfect for this genre.
biggrin.gif

x2...and the fairly wide soundstage of the DT770 is great for symphonic metal. I am very happy with mine...so much so that I just sold my D2000 as I wasn't listening to them anymore. With the DT770 for closed and my DT880 2003 for open, I have come to the realization that I may be a Beyer-head.
dt880smile.png

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #268 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing you meant to say the DT 700s, as that's what the poster was refering to, not the DT 880s?

Yes, thanks for correcting. But seriously, 250 Ohm/DT880 and DT700 are more like pota'to/potato' things.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #269 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the DT770 is great for symphonic metal. I am very happy with mine.

I think they're fantastic with progressive rock, too. It's been a nice, quiet and perfect headphone-listening day (I don't get many of those), and I'm also very happy with mine.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #270 of 278
I really can't decide what to think of these. I got mine a few weeks ago and I would say the bass is a tad recessed or maybe it's just that the highs are so pronounced. On some songs this works out well as the bass was overly emphasized due to bad mixing. What bothers me though is that in certain cases the bass is so overshadowed that it is overwhelmed by the bright highs. I discovered this to be the case in most of my flamenco music. I keep hoping the bass will strengthen and the highs will become a bit warmer as I'm not a huge fan of the metallic sound but it certainly is a different experience for me.

While it sounds as if I don't like these, it's more of a case of my finding that these headphones are very situational for me. I'm certainly not used to the amount of detail the DT770s bring out and quiet enjoy it. I'd have to agree with one of the earlier posts on Tori Amos. I too checked the DT770s out on the Scarlet Walk album and to my ears, it's a match made in heaven. That album is what also makes me think that the real issue is that the highs are just too forward as the bass is certainly there and capable on that album.

Oh and if someone tells me to get an amp, I've tried the headphones straight from my ipod, from a reciever, and from an audigy 2 zs platinum and none of them really change the sound to my ears. I've never owned a dedicated amp and considering that I didn't hear a change from the 3 examples above, I doubt I'll get one for the DT770. Well, the other reason is that I don't want to haemorrhage more money
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back