Headphone Sale on Amazon- Beyerdynamic DT770 for $126
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #241 of 278
Makes me wonder if the difference between standard and 600Ohm version is as big as on DT880. As they can certainly benefit from tamed down treble and more authoritative bass, things that I got moving to 600Ohm version of DT880, midrange gets some nice boost as well, but seems like DT770 is fine in there already, not overly smooth though.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #242 of 278
Have to say I'm very thankful for this thread. My employer just moved to a new building and I now I'm sitting under the air vent, which is way too loud. Initially I bought AKG 271 MK2, however before they even arrived I found this thread and bought DT770 just because the the price was so cheap. And let me tell you I'm glad I did. AKG 271 may be great phones, but they are just not for me. I like the vocals, it's much easier for me to discern words when listening to Phantom of the Opera, but they lack bass and overall I get fatigued by bright headphones too easily. Plus my head is just too big for the 271, they are very uncomfortable for me. I was thinking of trying 701, but seeing how they have the same headband, it's out of question now. DT770 seem have high end rolled off to my ears, a little too much for my liking, but I can deal with it because DT770 are not fatiguing. They are also much more comfortable than AKG271. Some people have said they lack bass, I'm listening to them from PPA and to my ears the bass is fine, a little less than HD600 but acceptable. In fact I'm surprised how close these phones sound compared to HD600.

Anyway, have to say thanks to head-fi for this thread, these are awesome headphones for $108.

I don't know what I'm going to do with AKG 271 yet. I will either have to sell or return them. If anyone is dissatisfied with their amazon DT770 purchase I'd be more than willing to do a straight trade for my AKG 271 MK2 (mint condition less than 20 hours of use). Or sell them here on headfi. If anyone is interested in trading my AKG 271 MK2 for your amazon DT770 please pm me, I could use second pair for downstairs listening.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #243 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it was lossless, or even ripped at a higher rate (256 or above) you probably would have recognized it as cymbals before. I definitely hear the digital artifacts on songs ripped at 192kbps or below - especially cymbals or other such complex high frequency sounds.

These cans will have you wanting all your music re-ripped!!
beyersmile.png

The song is 192kbps mp3 not VBR(i think). These DT770 are the most detailed pair of headphone I own and it's chucking half of my music library out the window as their bit rates are 170ish and below. In many songs, I can hear the imperfections that wasn't as noticeable before; and it's quite annoying. Definitely makes me want to seek higher bit rate song files.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #244 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to say I'm very thankful for this thread. My employer just moved to a new building and I now I'm sitting under the air vent, which is way too loud. Initially I bought AKG 271 MK2, however before they even arrived I found this thread and bought DT770 just because the the price was so cheap. And let me tell you I'm glad I did. AKG 271 may be great phones, but they are just not for me. I like the vocals, it's much easier for me to discern words when listening to Phantom of the Opera, but they lack bass and overall I get fatigued by bright headphones too easily. Plus my head is just too big for the 271, they are very uncomfortable for me. I was thinking of trying 701, but seeing how they have the same headband, it's out of question now. DT770 seem have high end rolled off to my ears, a little too much for my liking, but I can deal with it because DT770 are not fatiguing. They are also much more comfortable than AKG271. Some people have said they lack bass, I'm listening to them from PPA and to my ears the bass is fine, a little less than HD600 but acceptable. In fact I'm surprised how close these phones sound compared to HD600.

Anyway, have to say thanks to head-fi for this thread, these are awesome headphones for $108.

I don't know what I'm going to do with AKG 271 yet. I will either have to sell or return them. If anyone is dissatisfied with their amazon DT770 purchase I'd be more than willing to do a straight trade for my AKG 271 MK2 (mint condition less than 20 hours of use). Or sell them here on headfi. If anyone is interested in trading my AKG 271 MK2 for your amazon DT770 please pm me, I could use second pair for downstairs listening.

I am very surprised that you find DT770 treble rolled off and bass more quantitative than K271S's, as it's completely opposite as many posted here. They have extremely hot treble and detailed and textured but very low on volume bass.
Wondering if there are some units that sound different from mainstream, as blessingx also found their highs rolled off and signature dark and veiled in general. Go figure.
confused.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #245 of 278
I just received my DT770 and I must say I am extremely surprised. Not in a million years did I think a pair of $108 headphones would sound this good. Right now I am using the headphone port on my receiver but the wife is getting me a Little Dot MK III as an early Christmas present.

What do you guys usually do to break in headphones? Just leave them playing music for a couple of days or something else?

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #246 of 278
after much experimentation and listening, it seems it is a much better idea to connect the headphone directly to my soundcard lol...

I was connecting them to the 20db amplified output of my klipsch promedia speaker control pod, and although they were receiving enough power, they sounded a bit bright. the amplification does something very strange. not so sure I trust what it's doing to the signal...

So, I connected them straight to my audigy 2 zs (I verified no clipping with the udial.ape file - I have Vista resample everything to 48khz anyway, so the audigy's auto on-chip resample doesn't get confused) and now the sound is warmer (highs are less harsh) and bass stands out more.

They are definitely receiving enough power (for now
smily_headphones1.gif
), without an amp, from the headphone jack of the soundcard. I'm sure the 250ohm impedance of these phones is good for the headphone jack, as it is not too low- i.e. not trying to pull too much power (current) out of the jack.

sounds good to me! these headphone, for $108, are fantastic.

everything from tool (of course) to portishead, massive attack, primus, mahler, rage, soundgarden, pink floyd, heart, jefferson airplane..... you name it.

good stuff.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #247 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by gus6464 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys usually do to break in headphones? Just leave them playing music for a couple of days or something else?

I'm going to give you advice that will go against what many here will say:

Don't worry about it. Your ears/mind are the thing that will adapt. I just got another pair I ordered for a family member, and I compared them to the pair I've been listening too.

Any detectable difference I heard was probably psychological. (and I have pretty damn good ears - former musician) If it was, in fact, a physical difference in the two pairs of headphones.... then it wasn't large. They sounded almost identical with many different lossless audio files....

Although, I didn't ABX them....

Do whatever you want, but I wouldn't worry that much about "burning them in"

I'm sure this will be debated (as it has been for a long time) but I just wanted to give you this advice so you don't waste time. Just start enjoying your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #248 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by gus6464 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sticky threads are your friend.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #249 of 278
For those who find DT770 treble unbearable bright, do not despair, they tame down *significantly* with burn in. Out of the habit I kept them cooking with pink noise for about a week and when I picked them up today I thought I went crazy or lost high frequency sensitivity as they did not sound as crazy hot as before. I run them side by side with ER4S on a treble reference track that I get from one of the headfiers, and to my surprise they were about even there. Jaska, if you read it, keep that in mind when you get them.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #250 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very surprised that you find DT770 treble rolled off and bass more quantitative than K271S's, as it's completely opposite as many posted here. They have extremely hot treble and detailed and textured but very low on volume bass.
Wondering if there are some units that sound different from mainstream, as blessingx also found their highs rolled off and signature dark and veiled in general. Go figure.
confused.gif

Not sure what to say. It's all subjective. When I said they had rolled off highs, I based it on the fact that it was much much harder for me to understand words while listening to Phantom of the Opera and Sweeney Todd on DT770 as opposed to 271 MK2. Perhaps that wasn't a very accurate statement in that regard considering vocals are mainly in the 100-1000Hz range which are not highs. Perhaps the overall lack of bass response from AKG271 MK2 also contributed to my impression. Who knows.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #252 of 278
Got these in the mail yesterday and gotta admit that they sound pretty good.

Definately happy with this purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #255 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jaska, if you read it, keep that in mind when you get them.

Yes, I've read it
bigsmile_face.gif

I do look forward to testing these, and appreciate all the work you've done behind the scenes with the testing in the meantime. Hopefully that test track isn't becoming one of your favorites, or your hearing might eventually suffer from the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back