Headphone Rig Pictures
Jun 21, 2001 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42
Just thought I'd include some headphone rig pics. I always enjoy looking at the setups of others, so I thought maybe some of you might find this at least marginally interesting:

Below is a pic of my home office desk, where I do most of my listening and working:

ADSC0094_adjusted.jpg

Below is a pic of the headphone rig a little closer up. That is a Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD player, HeadRoom Max headphone amp (latest version), Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, and Clou Red Jaspis headphone cable (the bright red cable). The interconnects are Tara Labs RSC Reference Generation 2's.

ADSC0096_adjusted.jpg

If you've got pics of your rig, please post!

Jun 21, 2001 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 42
very nice Jude dude! Did you ever get used to the fit of the HD600's?

heehee, got that new desk I see
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2001 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
very nice Jude dude! Did you ever get used to the fit of the HD600's?

heehee, got that new desk I see
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I got the desk a few days ago. Bought it at an office supply store. Came in approximately 15,000 parts (that's what it looked like anyway). Took me nine hours to put it together (I kid you not -- okay, I'm not Mr. Build-It). My wife was anything but pleased with my hammering at like 4:30 a.m., but I was so far I couldn't stop.

That other desk I was using that you may have seen in pics in HeadWize was literally around a hundred years old (I think), and it was wobbly as heck.

Regarding the HD-600's fit: Yes, I'm very used to them now. Keep a pair at home, and another pair at the office. I'm starting to use them quite a bit more than my MDR-V6's now.

Jun 21, 2001 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 42
Jude, I think a cool mod would be to make that thing sticking out of your wall (shown the first picture right above your Sens) a volume knob for your Max. That's a DIY project well worth the while. functional art!

Jun 21, 2001 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 42
Very nice setup, jude! I like all the artistic items sitting around the room. How many SACDs do you have now? And what is that thing the 600s are sitting on?

Jun 21, 2001 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 42
Jude, I like that rig a lot! I never realized just how big the Sony SCD-333ES really was, I guess. Anyway, I'd also like to know where you got that nifty headphone stand.

Also, have you considered putting the Max on top of your SCD-333ES? I remember that reading the April '01 Stereophile's review of the 333ES, the reviewer said that he got an improvement when placing a Shakti Stone on top. If the Max has soft feet, perhaps you could get even better sound by putting it on top of the 333? I would be interested to find out about the results. =)

Jun 21, 2001 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Very nice setup, jude! I like all the artistic items sitting around the room. How many SACDs do you have now? And what is that thing the 600s are sitting on?

dhwilkin,

Thanks for the nice comments! Yeah, my wife and father-in-law are to thank for the artsy stuff around there -- those big wall pieces are ceramic sculptures by an artist named Kaiser Sudan. There are a bunch of them all over the walls by my desk and on tables around the house (had I done a shot from further back, you'd have seen more of them).

That wall hanger is a Radio Shack headset hanger (catalog number 43-2005). I found out about it from some of the folks on HeadWize some time ago. Here's the catalog pic:

43-2005.jpg

Regarding SACD's, I only have six right now, with a couple more on order. Of all of them, only one is a hybrid SACD (one that has two layers -- CD and SACD), and that would be Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven.

Jun 22, 2001 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Jude, I like that rig a lot! I never realized just how big the Sony SCD-333ES really was, I guess. Anyway, I'd also like to know where you got that nifty headphone stand.

Also, have you considered putting the Max on top of your SCD-333ES? I remember that reading the April '01 Stereophile's review of the 333ES, the reviewer said that he got an improvement when placing a Shakti Stone on top. If the Max has soft feet, perhaps you could get even better sound by putting it on top of the 333? I would be interested to find out about the results. =)

DanG,

Thank you for the nice comments! Yes, that 333 is a tank compared to the players I'm used to (I think it weighs 23 or 24 pounds). It sounds fantastic to my ears too. One non-audio-specific feature that I find entertaning is the front door that swings down and open to make way for the sliding tray to come out -- I think this door is made of 1/4"-to-1/3"-thick aluminum.

Regarding placing the Max on top of the 333: I'd do this, but running my TriField Broadband Meter around the Max shows that it emits some EMI back by where its power supplies likely are (I've found this to be very common). As such, I thought it a good idea to keep it isolated. Using that meter, I keep everything very carefully routed. My power cables don't cross over with my interconnects. The interconnects also don't come too near other cables or devices, despite the fact that the interconnects are shielded. My cell phone charger and notebook computer are placed far enough away that their measurable fields have dissipated in the distance between them and the audio stuff.

If you look closely, you'll notice a big ferrite loop on the 333's power cord (there's one on the Max power cord too, but you can't see that in the pics). Though some advise against using ferrite loops and clamps, my moderate use of them on the power cords has resulted in no deleterious sonic effects that I can hear, but has eliminated noises I'd hear when my refrigerator and sump pump would do their things (a ferrite loop on the sump pump power cord put the final touches on eliminating the noises completely). Whoah, I'm off topic now......

Back on topic: Putting the Max on top of the 333 might not be too much of a problem though, as the 333 is one of the best-shielded components I've used, as measured by the TriField Broadband Meter. I mean, it emits virtually nothing above ambient fields, except in one very small area on the top, and I have to position the meter in just the right position to pick it up. And if the 333's shielding is good enough to keep the baddies it emits inside, I imagine it works the other way too.

Jun 22, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 42
Hi Jude,
If you haven't already, can you please post a review of the new Max? Especially if you owned the previous version, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they compare.

markl
headwize refugee

Jun 22, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 42
Lol...Headwize refugee...nice markl

Jude, great pics. I'm thinkin' of gettin' the 333 myself, not sure if I want to spend that much money right now (to replace my Denon 370), but hearing so much about it and seein' pics makes it tempting
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to post pics of my new system (old system was MSP's+Creek, which I posted pics of), and now it's so different, and is just begging to have it's picture taken! Gotta borrow that digital camera again...

Jun 22, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hi Jude,
If you haven't already, can you please post a review of the new Max? Especially if you owned the previous version, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they compare.

markl
headwize refugee

markl,

Unfortunately, I've not owned the "old" Max, so I can't say how they differ sonically. I do intend to write a full review of the Max I won.

Jun 22, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 42
Hey jude, I've got an old Max. Why don't you let me "borrow" your new Max and I'll do the comparison.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 42
Lol, oh well it was worth a shot!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 42
Oh sure dhwilkin, you wanted to "borrow" his new max. I want to "borrow" it too, but he just isn't trusting enough! You'd think that he'd at least let me "borrow" his total airhead, but no! I guess he just needs to learn to trust, huh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back