Headphone recommendations to pair with the Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

scotty2012

Head-Fier
Hello all you lovely helpful people.

I'm considering buying the Astell & Kern AK120 and was wondering what headphones will work best with this device?
Sennheiser HD800's or Grado PS1000's or other?

Thanks.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm thinking about the same. From what I have gathered those high ohm hard to drive headphones would be overkill for an AK120. Meaning that one would get better sound from an easer to driver but less high end headphone. I havent heard those you mention myself so take it with a grain of salt. I'm very much wonering where the limit is though - AKG 550, Senn momentum or would a HD558 shine?

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Are you planning to use the headphones portably? Most of them have little to no isolation and wouldn't suit.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 14
For the HD800 you will need an amp like the CEntrance HiFi-M8 LX for the AK120, so I think you should go with the LCD3 instead.  The the new Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog is another good pick.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 14
I think one may rephrase the question to: "what open and closed full size headphones make a good combination with the AK120"?
One would think that an AK120 would have a somewhat better amplifier than for example an iPhone since it's dedicated, hence being able to drive a bit "heavier" headphones, but I personally have no experience...

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 14
  I think one may rephrase the question to: "what open and closed full size headphones make a good combination with the AK120"?
One would think that an AK120 would have a somewhat better amplifier than for example an iPhone since it's dedicated, hence being able to drive a bit "heavier" headphones, but I personally have no experience...

The quality of the OpAmp within the AK120 is very good, but as a portable it is still no where enough to drive high impadence headphones.  What's your budget?

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the reply DrSheep. Budget is <1000$, so hence not very important. I'm quite a music lover and (unfortunately) audiophile...
dt880smile.png
Currently contemplating to go for an AK120 or wait for the reviews of the new Sony NWZ-ZX1. Either way I need to find some headphones which can match such portable device, so I'm planning to go around for a listening session. Need some ideas where to start though. I set up another thread, but noone replied, found this one and now I feel guilty in hijacking it somewhat...
redface.gif
The more detailed requirement is:

Currently own Sony MDR-F1 which I use with an iPhone.
I'm not too impressed with the sound which I find somewhat "thin" and metallic.
I do like that the MDR-F1 is incredibly comfortable and the soundstage is very good to me.
Music (that is known): Pink Floyd, Bach, Adele, Lenny Kravitz, Beatles, Dire Straits etc.
Sound preferece: Neutral, relaxing & detailed..

Currently searching for new headphones
-Cost: <1000$
-Open/closed: Not important (I see advantages in both)
-I have normal size ears and do not want them to touch the cans - comfort is key.
-Size is not so important, but they should be well made to hold up for frequent transportation.
-Will be used at home and with the upcoming Sony nwz-zx1, Astell & Kern AK120 or similar on the move (TBD).
-When on the move - no additional amplification to be used. I presume this will limit the options somewhat.

Happy to get some sugggestions... I currently do not know where to start...
Thank you in advance.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 14
I would still recommend the AD for $600, and use the rest for cables like the ones from Moon Audio.  That way if you do want to get a balance amp later, you have the option to recable or get an adapter for XLR or RSA.  I might get the ZX1 just to toy with it as I already have the F807.  The AD is on my list too because I have a CEntrance HiFi-M8 LX 4XL coming, and you can choose to get XLR balance cable for it at no extra cost.

p.s. the Shure SE846 is another good option if you want to go the IEM route.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 14
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 14
i use sennheiser momentum over ear , a little bass heavy but a slight  adjustment on the ak equalser and  they sound yery good ,
has anyone else found the delete track that is on ak  ? if not pick the track you want to delete, then swipe on the track left to right an up pops a delete icons

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm currently using my Sennheiser HD 545 Reference headset with the AK120 and it's doing splendidly. A rich, full spectrum catching experience when teamed up with an amp like my FiiO E17 Alpen. And there are way better amps out there that I'm sure would do better. The wonderful thing about the Sennheiser HD 545s, if you can find them, is that they're going cheap (being an older, cancelled model). I got mine for jeez, like $35 Canadian dollars, or something like that, it's hard to remember now,
but less than $40. That being said, I've read that they're very similar sounding to the Sennheiser HD 580s (ergo the HD 600s and
photo 1 (1).JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

higher on the ladder still). Any of those choices have the potential for being a winning combination with your AK120. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back