Headphone recommendations for rock/metal $200 budget
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #31 of 33
How would I even know where to look? It'd just be a random "try everything until you found something you like"-buy spree, which I can't afford. I wish there was a high end headphone/music store somewhere nearby, but I doubt there'd be more than one or two in the whole country. Everything is web shop nowadays.

Yep. Have you ever seen the trade forums on Head-fi? Or looked at user profiles where they list current and past headphones? Hearing different headphones is the only way to find that out.

You might look for a head-fi meetup in your area so that you could discover how more headphones sound.

I recommend the 225 because it's not as bright. Once you get used to that, move up to the 325. If you don't like it try the ATH M50. 

I used to have the SR225i and bought them exactly for that reason. Best guess is that the difference between the 225 and the 325 is not in the drivers, but the plastic vs. metal cups. And I know enough about audio to know I didn't want metal creating reflections on the highs.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #32 of 33

I like them so far, but it's not like I'm noticing a huge difference (from the top of my head) between this and the HD 25-II I own, but I won't judge them yet as I read the break in is far from subtle for these. Maybe higher-end headphones are just not for me. I've never listened to a pair that really made me say "Wow this is miles better than my gaming headset" (Creative Soundblaster Tactic3D Rage btw). Idk if that's something that's wrong with me or if more people have that problem. I don't really have a trained ear or any kind of experience in telling what I like specifically about a pair of headphones other than "I like them" or not. I can however compare them to the HD 25-II's and tell you how that went, and I'll do that either today or tomorrow.

I was really hoping for a pair that would blow me away with how amazing they were for the music I listen to, but maybe I'll never experience that...
This is the second pair of €150 headphones I own but if they don't blow me away I don't know if it's even worth it to buy them. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

u just happened to have bought both cans that have a very upfront n in your face sound signature,
cept u should hear "thru" slightly more on the open can (225)..so u dun feel "blown away" straightaway.
Try listening to a live performance of a rock band n see if u can get the feeeeeeel of what gradofans loved about this can.

Ps : of cos there is the burn in period, to flex whatever needs to be flex in those plastic cups :p

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #33 of 33
I agree,

And make sure you listen to HIGH QUALITY flac files at least . Increases the soundstage allot. 

I'm not sure about the 225s, I have the 325s, 

In the regard to low-quality recordings my HD 600s are allot more FORGIVING than the 325. 

And, also before you make a review, listen to the grado for a couple days.   You will see how your ear get's adjusted and the sound will start to grow on you.

When I first got my GRADO, coming from a background of mostly closed-back cans (ATH m50, skull candy bass-headphones!!),I Thought my  GRADOs were fake because they sounded really "Thin". But in reality, Closed back cans are just extremely more muddy :p, And I was accustom to that muddiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back