Headphone recommendations for rock/metal $200 budget
Jul 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

lars330

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I mainly listen to (classic) rock and metal, but I like pretty much anything really.
I do not own an amp.

My budget is around $200. 

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598, but after seeing someone claiming they weren't good for rock or metal I got anxious.

Of course I read about the Grado SR 80i but I don't think they'd be very comfortable for me, which would be a big plus. (Hence my interest in the HD 598)

So basically I'm looking for a comfortable, versatile pair which should do rock/metal very well.

I can't wait to read your recommendations :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 33
I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598, but after seeing someone claiming they weren't good for rock or metal I got anxious.

Certainly Grado is typically described as one of the best geared for rock and metal, but the HD598 is a pretty good all around headphone. What about the HD598 makes it seem to you that it would not be good for rock and metal,? Or it just some person on the Internet said it wasn't good?

Perhaps you might tell us what headphones you have or have heard, and what you did and did not like about them or want to improve?

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 33
Well I only have one decent pair of headphones: the Sennheiser HD 25-II. I take these to classes for music, mainly because the sound isolation is great. I can't really describe what I don't or do like about the sound other than it sounds great, much better than anything I've ever tried.

But that's also the problem. I haven't really tried any decent headphones other than my own pair of HD 25's.

I can tell you however that they're not the most comfortable pair and the HD 598 looks to be very comfortable.

And yes, I read someone claiming the HD 598 aren't really great for rock/metal and more for classical music or jazz.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 33
Certainly Grado is typically described as one of the best geared for rock and metal, but the HD598 is a pretty good all around headphone. What about the HD598 makes it seem to you that it would not be good for rock and metal,? Or it just some person on the Internet said it wasn't good?

Perhaps you might tell us what headphones you have or have heard, and what you did and did not like about them or want to improve?

I forgot to quote ._.

see above

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 33
Well, it's the Internet. I tend to not listen to what one person says, but look for majority opinions :)

I can recommend the Soundmagic HP150, but it's not an open headphone. It has very slightly elevated highs and low end in relation to the mids, but the mids don't sound recessed because the isolation is only slight--which I think is important for rock. But I'm just one person on the Internet :wink:

The HP150 is the newly revised version of the HP100 which appears to be the same sound. You can learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-hp150-review-and-impressions-thread

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 33
Well, it's the Internet. I tend to not listen to what one person says, but look for majority opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

I can recommend the Soundmagic HP150, but it's not an open headphone. It has very slightly elevated highs and low end in relation to the mids, but the mids don't sound recessed because the isolation is only slight--which I think is important for rock. But I'm just one person on the Internet
wink.gif

The HP150 is the newly revised version of the HP100 which appears to be the same sound. You can learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-hp150-review-and-impressions-thread

A quote from the review:

"Amping

These really do benefit from amping, as i find them to sound flat and boring just driven from my iPod, adding an amp brings out the bass, and widens the soundstage and just brings out the best in them. Also they are not very sensitive so you will have to crank up the volume of you portable source to get decent listening volumes."

This scares me a bit. I don't really want to end up with an average sounding pair unless I use an amp. (which I don't have)

Or is that not the case?

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 33
Same thing again about one person's opinion (lol). There are people on this website that think almost every headphone needs an amp. Do they benefit from amping? Sure. Most of the best headphones in this price range are very good headphones and will improve even more if you give them an amp. Do they need an amp? They are 32 ohms, which is fairly easy to drive with most mobile devices. So whether or not they need an amp depends more on your listening volumes and how loud your device can drive them in terms of its power output. If they are not loud enough for you, you will need an amp.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 33
Same thing again about one person's opinion (lol). There are people on this website that think almost every headphone needs an amp. Do they benefit from amping? Sure. Most of the best headphones in this price range are very good headphones and will improve even more if you give them an amp. Do they need an amp? They are 32 ohms, which is fairly easy to drive with most mobile devices. So whether or not they need an amp depends more on your listening volumes and how loud your device can drive them in terms of its power output. If they are not loud enough for you, you will need an amp.

Well yeah I know I shouldn't base it on one person's opinion that's why I asked it here :)

I might go for the Soundmagic HP150 if I can get a good deal somewhere, although I'm still not sure. I might go and try a few pairs at a decent store somewhere.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 33
The only deal at the moment for the HP150 is $199, which is $100 off MSRP. I doubt that's going to change since they were just released.

But be sure to read through the discussion in that thread and other reviews on the HP100. And you can always ask questions in that appreciation thread :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 33
The only deal at the moment for the HP150 is $199, which is $100 off MSRP. I doubt that's going to change since they were just released.

But be sure to read through the discussion in that thread and other reviews on the HP100. And you can always ask questions in that appreciation thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I live in The Netherlands and I can't find a pair under €180, which is around $240. So if I were to get those I'd have to wait for a deal or go for something else. :/

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 33

I thought I'd let you know I eventually bought a Grado SR225i. I got a great deal on it. Someone impulse-bought it and was selling it new and I only paid €150 for: it. I bet I could even sell it for profit if I'd want to, but I'm not gonna :p

great buy....u will enjoy it ")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back