Headphone recommendations for audiophiliac uncle?
Jul 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zijincheng

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm extremely new to the world of audio, and my uncle is looking for some good headphones to use while away from his hifi system.

I have tried doing some research but don't know where to start. He spends a lot of money on his hifi system (at least to me :)), upwards of $10,000.

I know headphones won't come anywhere close to hifi systems such as those, but is there anyone who owns expensive hifi systems who can give their recommendations on headphones/amps that satisfy you?

Thank you.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 9
It might help to post in the Summit-Fi forums. I do not own anything that is that expensive. The highend things I own are the LCD2, Bifrost DAC, and Lyr amp, if they can be considered highend. I love them to death. The LCD 2s are the best things I have heard.

I would give you reasons why I find them as amazing as I do, but I am horrid at describing audio. So I won't even try.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 9
☞ STOP!  Don't start a new thread yet! "Help!", "Recommendations", "Looking for..." threads go in the new Help & Recommendations Forum not here.

:wink:

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Hi, I'm extremely new to the world of audio, and my uncle is looking for some good headphones to use while away from his hifi system.
I have tried doing some research but don't know where to start. He spends a lot of money on his hifi system (at least to me :)), upwards of $10,000.
I know headphones won't come anywhere close to hifi systems such as those, but is there anyone who owns expensive hifi systems who can give their recommendations on headphones/amps that satisfy you?

It would be helpful for a budget?
What source(s) is he going to be plugging the headphones into?

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
It might help to post in the Summit-Fi forums. I do not own anything that is that expensive. The highend things I own are the LCD2, Bifrost DAC, and Lyr amp, if they can be considered highend. I love them to death. The LCD 2s are the best things I have heard.

I would give you reasons why I find them as amazing as I do, but I am horrid at describing audio. So I won't even try.

Oh lol no problem.

Quote:
☞ STOP!  Don't start a new thread yet! "Help!", "Recommendations", "Looking for..." threads go in the new Help & Recommendations Forum not here.

:wink:

I did. But I need more advice than just 1 review. I was looking at the Sennheiser 650s, but beyond that, I have no idea how they sound.

Quote:
It would be helpful for a budget?
What source(s) is he going to be plugging the headphones into?

The problem is his budget is variable, but I would set the upper limit at $1000 for both amp and headphones.
He didn't tell me, but mostly lossless files.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

I did. But I need more advice than just 1 review. I was looking at the Sennheiser 650s, but beyond that, I have no idea how they sound.

The problem is his budget is variable, but I would set the upper limit at $1000 for both amp and headphones.
He didn't tell me, but mostly lossless files.

What source(s) is he getting audio from?
MP3 player? Smart phone? iPod? computer? MAC? receiver? TV?

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
What source(s) is he getting audio from?
MP3 player? Smart phone? iPod? computer? MAC? receiver? TV?

Does it matter, as long as he has the 2-1 plug adapters and is playing uncompressed FLAC files.

I found two headphones, the B&W P5 and the Beyerdynamic T50P.

I've been trying to get a feel of these two headphones to see which one is better, and I have a feeling the DT990 is better than the P5.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the sound difference is between closed/open headphone systems. Can they be compared, or are they chalk/cheese? 

Double EDIT: Never mind, he doesn't know whether he wants a closed or open headphone.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
you do realize "-philiac" implies that his affection for audio is abnormal right =P

Anyways, i suspect you uncle already knows what kindda sound he likes if he's dabbled in speakers in a while. i'd say get him to grab his portable player of choice, whether that be his ipod/phone/whatever, and try a few of them out. It WILL matter because different players have different "driving abilities". Also, different headphones have different "driving requirements" so it's actually quite crucial to test the combination together to ensure that the sound he ends up getting is one he likes. P5 and T50P are fairly average starting places especially if he's got a budget of $1K. I for one didn't care much for the P5. Might i suggest something like ultrasone ed 8 (which I own so of course i'm biased =P )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back