Headphone recommendation...
Jun 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #16 of 21
Is the HD598 the only main competitor of the AD900? Also, I don't know about spending the extra $150 on the AD900 over the AD700. Yes, I know the AD900 will be better, but I know it's not going to be huge changes from the AD700. If I am short on cash, is the AD700 a good representation of the AD900? Is the AD700 the best in it's price range for sound quality?

I personally think you are going to be much happier with the AT line going on your description.

The AD900 is worth stretching the budget for, if you can, as it improves on some of the shortcomings of the AD700 as well as being a better all round headphone. I think it is a better long term investment.
The AD700 is still great for the price though, it does have a similar sound to the AD900.

As for whether it is the best in its range for sound quality, that is hard to say. There are other phones like Grados and the Alessandro MS1 that sound very different but have comparable quality. They aren't as comfortable though, and they don't have the soundstage you mentioned above.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
Sennheiser hd 25-1 ii :D

Saffron - if it's not too much problem, can you stop with the HD 25-1 ii recommendations please.  They're the only cans you have right now - correct?  And possibly the first HQ ones you've owned?  It's just that in 15 posts to date, you've recommended these in 13 of them - with no reasons why they'd suit the poster asking, and often without even reading what the OP is actually asking for.

I know you want to help - but it might pay to do what I'm doing .... read lots, try different ones whenever I'm in a store that allows demoing decent cans, and actually buy some more so you can speak from experience.  Otherwise you are degrading from what head-fi offers people looking for genuine help.  Let the experienced people answer.  Ask questions if you want.  But don't recommend until you are confident enough to expand on your recommendations - and the best way to do that is provide accurate comparisons.  You can't do that ... yet.

Quote:
  Originally Posted by keanex 

The Ad700 are great headphones, but the Ad900 are better in every regard. The HD598 don't even come close imo, in-fact I don't like them very much.

Keanix - I own the AD700, and tried the AD900 last time I was in NY - and I agree, they were definitely a large step up (I just couldn't justify the cost at the time).  I have to admit at $185 I would have definitely jumped.  My AD700's (while great cans) just don't get the use anymore after 6 months - not enough kick, and can be a tad grainy.  Why do you like the AD900's over the Senn HD598?  I also tried them, and quite enjoyed them.  Just looking for comparisons for future ref please.  Thanks in advance.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #20 of 21
The 598 are just too laid back for me and I don't like the way they present music. The 598 simply borderline on mediocre for most music I listen to in comparison to the Ad900. It's simply listening preference really. I feel the Ad900 are more up-front with their presentation, but not aggressive. I also love the clarity, I feel it's unrivaled for $200. I tend to like a more analytical phone though, with slight mid-forward tendencies. The only thing I could want out of the Ad900 is slightly better bass extension, they'd be damn near perfect if they did.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #21 of 21
Many thanks for the response.  I'll give them both a closer look next time I'm in US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back