Headphone Recommendation for Gaming.
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aikicoops

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me what the DT1990's are like for gaming?

Currently, I'm using AKG Q701. They are good but looking for an upgrade.

I listen to all sorts of music from Chillstep, pop, rock, country, classical you name it I listen to it.
I game heavily mostly FPS.
I watch a lot of movies as well.

I want the best within my budget :)

I currently have a Schiit Magni/Modi stack plus an SB X7 which I use for gaming.

My original thoughts were maybe getting the DT990 for gaming and music and Sen HD650 for music. buying both is within my budget right now.

After reading about the DT1990's I'm thinking maybe just getting them only. They seem nice but I'm not sure about using these for gaming.

I was looking at the HD800S as well but I they are a but they are a bit our of my budget right now so I would have to save for a couple of weeks.

Or even better I can get both the DT1990's and they HD800S later on if one is better for music and or gaming.

I'm so confused right now I have NFI what to buy.

My budget is around $1000 AUD give or take.

Cheers
Coops

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 13
If you already have the Schiit Stack, I'd say stick with your plan! The Beyers are great for gaming (I use the 598) and the 650 will be a nice treat when you want to sit down and relax to some good music. I have the 650 with the Jot balanced (used to have the M&M Uber stack) and it's great either way

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 13
I was gifted a pair of HD700's for my birthday but am unable to use them with my PC since they came with a 6.3mm audio jack. Should I buy a mixer or the Schiit Magni/Modi stack? P.S. I am using a USB mic and not an XLR mic.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 13
I've used my Oppo PM-3s for over a year now. Highly recommended!

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Magni2/Modi2 will be perfect for you!

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm actually considering the DT 1990 as my next headphone purchase myself! A lot of people prefer it over the Beyer t1 (1st gen and 2nd gen), which says a lot. Also, you're going to save up money for the HD800S, and then you'll have to save up even more for a dac/amp combo that can properly drive them.

Whereas a lot of people either love or hate the hd800s, I feel that opinions of the DT 1990 are not as polarizing. It is widely accepted as a great headphone, with a lot of people considering it as one of the best.

edit: The soundstage of the dt1990 has been described as very natural, so I'd imagine it's good for gaming as well :)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 13
As someone who's owned the 1990s for over 3 months and plays competitive games I can assure you, you'd be hard pressed to find a headphone that is more accurate and natural sounding in-game. Playing PUBG I can easily assess how far and which direction gunshots are coming from and even which floor footsteps are on, same goes for CSGO. As for music these cans are straight up addictive running through my Modi MB --> BHC. I was in the same boat as you, didn't know which setup to go with but knew what I wanted, the 1990 really fit the bill and I have no regrets on the purchase.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 13
As someone who's owned the 1990s for over 3 months and plays competitive games I can assure you, you'd be hard pressed to find a headphone that is more accurate and natural sounding in-game. Playing PUBG I can easily assess how far and which direction gunshots are coming from and even which floor footsteps are on, same goes for CSGO. As for music these cans are straight up addictive running through my Modi MB --> BHC. I was in the same boat as you, didn't know which setup to go with but knew what I wanted, the 1990 really fit the bill and I have no regrets on the purchase.

This is exactly the info I was after. PUBG is what I am currently playing and while the Q701's sound great, they are lacking that something.

Can I ask what source you use for gaming? Currently I have the SB X7 Dac/amp which is good but I'm not sure if it's the headphones or the amp that is not producing.

I'm more than happy to purchase a new dac/amp if needed.

Cheers

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 13
This is exactly the info I was after. PUBG is what I am currently playing and while the Q701's sound great, they are lacking that something.

Can I ask what source you use for gaming? Currently I have the SB X7 Dac/amp which is good but I'm not sure if it's the headphones or the amp that is not producing.

I'm more than happy to purchase a new dac/amp if needed.

Cheers

Modi Multibit into Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball. I'm usually listening to music when I'm not on the ground in-game, but I've still been eyeballing getting a SS amp to give my tube amp a break every once in a while.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 13
I've been using the HD800 (non-s) for a month, it works really well. I used the DT-990's for gaming for about a year, and the soundstage was decent, but not ground breaking, and the imaging wasn't the best. The 598's are a great value for gaming, though they lack the low end for meaty explosions, not unlike the 990's and 800's.

The Philips x2 have a better extension into bass, and the soundstage is no slacker, though again, imaging wasn't ground breaking. I haven't heard better than the Senn's yet, outside of STAX, but I also haven't given the 1990's (or T1 v2) a listen yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back