Headphone Recommendation <$600
Jul 16, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #16 of 34
This may be off base, but can you not adjust the EQ to get the sound you want, at least in terms of bass/mid/high levels. I'm a big Shure fan but don't like the Grado sound signature, and I've adjusted my RS1 to mock the Shure.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 34
I've just bought Koss ESP 950 system for $640 (includes amp) - I'm not one for giving subjective impressions but so far I'm not dissapointed with the sound (amp has pretty cheap feel, looks) and I already own HD600, K701 and SA5000 (no high end Grado experience - the SR60 never get used based on the sound, much less the pads making my ears itch)

next step spend a few $K building a ESL amp of my own design...

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismercurio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like just about everything about the GS1000 but found it to be a little peaky in the upper midrange lower treble. I'm not really crazy about "big bass" as I thought the Denon's were overbearing in the lowest registers. Out of curiosity what are the three headphones you were thinking of?

Chris

L3000, PS1000, and PS1 came immediately to mind. The really difficult part is finding phones with good mids.

Just to try to add something to this thread, I think the best dynamic headphones under $600 are the AD2000 and HF2. It's too late to order the latter, so yeah, another vote for AD2000. But a word of warning: AD2000 will never have big bass, and I think a mismatched amp may give you brightness, right in the upper mids and treble. Easy to amp decently, but rather difficult to amp well imo...

Edit: actually, just buy a used GS1000 for about $600.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000, PS1000, and PS1 came immediately to mind. The really difficult part is finding phones with good mids.

Edit: actually, just buy a used GS1000 for about $600.

It's hard to find anything with exceptional midrange that doesn't cost a kidney. Thank you for the recommendations,

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #20 of 34
FWIW - the Ultrasone 900's seem to me to be enjoyably aggressive with crystaline articulation up to moderately strong volumes but (mostly burned-in) I'm finding them to be too bright and silvery throughout the higher registers. I am having to adjust the EQ in order to use these for very long, which I'd rather not do. That said, they are brilliant for reference and vocals, being a sight brighter and clearer than HD 650's. I wish the bass had a little more authority and the treble was a little flatter.

Also, while they are overall comfortable, being light and well-proportioned, they tend to make my ears feel as though they stick out too far after prolonged use. I haven't experienced this before with Bose Triport, Bose QC2, Sennheiser HD650's (in order of personal experience).

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by elcarajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW - the Ultrasone 900's seem to me to be enjoyably aggressive with crystaline articulation up to moderately strong volumes but (mostly burned-in) I'm finding them to be too bright and silvery throughout the higher registers. I am having to adjust the EQ in order to use these for very long, which I'd rather not do. That said, they are brilliant for reference and vocals, being a sight brighter and clearer than HD 650's. I wish the bass had a little more authority and the treble was a little flatter.

Also, while they are overall comfortable, being light and well-proportioned, they tend to make my ears feel as though they stick out too far after prolonged use. I haven't experienced this before with Bose Triport, Bose QC2, Sennheiser HD650's (in order of personal experience).

A good friend has 3 different pairs of Ultrasones and says they are all bright. I haven't heard them but know his listening preferences and if he says they are bright, they probably melt wax off of the inside of the ear.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 34
Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm Manufaktur with custom Leatherpads, IMO will suit you to perfection, they should cost between 400 and 500 dollars or 390euros

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #23 of 34
Go for the Pro 900. I have put it against the markl modded D5000, DX 1000, HD 650, K701 and even new speakers. None is on the same level if you preferr headphones that sounds real. Thus perhaps not the most exciting unless you don´t found headphones that sounds real exciting
smily_headphones1.gif
. They actually let me forget I am wearing headphones just hear sound. If you want great mid range look no further. As for bass this is the tricky because they can be as bassy as the HD 650 if you run them in stock or like the K701 if you KeeS mod them. I tried Zarathrusta earlier today and I am running with K701 bass. But the bass is about as superb as the mid range. It goes as low as I can hear without sweating and it´s more detailed then any other headphones bass I have heard.

From your description the only question mark would be the treble perhaps. Sounds like you would want headphones with rolled off treble? This doesn´t have that it´s very full but doesn´t sound elevated like on the K701. Have had some trouble with sibilance but well since I have banned those few recordings it was a long time that disturbed me now lol.

The Pro 900 is for me slightly on the warm side if not perfectly neutral. Certainly ain´t bright like the Pro 750 perhaps could be at times... As mentioned they are quite transparent so the bass comes and goes depending on recordings. Not just in volume but also in character.

I would love to try some GS 1000 or other higher end Grado or such but with my telescope ears I can´t see how they could be comfortable for me.

Otherwise I really liked the DX 1000 when I had that one. Not quite as good neither in bass or mid range and it has a rolled off treble which hurts some music where in other you hardly notice it.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #24 of 34
I never said I wanted a rolled off top end. I just don't want a peaky upper midrange/low treble that is often described as brightness, and causes me irritation and fatigue.

Does anyone like the Sony SA5000's?

Chris

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 34
I wish I could give a stronger recommendation for the 900's, but bright is what they are; aggressively so for my taste. You could tune it down with the eq, but I'd prefer more neutrality without adjusting the sound to the headphones.

oqvist - did you modify your 900's or the signal to get a warmer sound out of them? I'm getting the same sense of transparency, but only after pushing the lower registers up to counterweight the treble.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #26 of 34
My quick thoughts:

HD-800: That would fit the bill, but I've read a couple of Grace M902 owners who really didn't like them. The same problem happens with the K701s, which can IMO sound terrible with the wrong gear.
PS1000: Admittedly I haven't heard them, so could be a useless recommendation, but from what I've read, fixes the issues with the GS1000.

More usefully, have you considered a Stax rig? If you want treble without the irritation, they are definitely the go. Buying used means you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a good rig.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by elcarajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could give a stronger recommendation for the 900's, but bright is what they are; aggressively so for my taste. You could tune it down with the eq, but I'd prefer more neutrality without adjusting the sound to the headphones.

oqvist - did you modify your 900's or the signal to get a warmer sound out of them? I'm getting the same sense of transparency, but only after pushing the lower registers up to counterweight the treble.

What amp/source are you using? I as mentioned don´t find them bright at all but then HD 650/DX 1000 is on the warm side for me
smily_headphones1.gif
For me it integrates perfectly with the rest. I use KeeS mod which removes some bass and makes it overall even sweeter but it luckily doesn´t effect the treble to much
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do run half the KeeS mod on them. All but plugging the middle hole which does effect the treble.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #29 of 34
I think Audio-Technica probably has offerings that best fit your needs - I've never heard the W5000 or AD2000, but hear lots of positive things about them. I spent some time with a pair of W1000 and they have a crystal clear treble that isn't fatiguing or harsh at all - if the tonal qualities of the W1000 carry over to (and/or are improved upon by) the other models, one of these phones may be right up your alley. They are also a good bit more forward in their presentation than the K701, which may correct for the sense of those phones being unengaging which you experienced.

Re: Grados, I had brief exposure to the RS1 and GS1000 and the edginess in the treble of the GS1000 was a deal-breaker for me, but I heard none of that in the RS-1, so my $0.02 is that you should keep those phones in mind as well, but get a clear sense of their limitations and the genres of music etc. that they favor. They will probably sound very sweet with a nice tube amp though...

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #30 of 34
I didn´t answer the second half of your question Elcarajo. No the mod do make them a bit brighter since the cotton wool as mentioned reduce the bass. The more cotton wool you use the less bass volume you get. I find the Pro 900 have quite some bass hump in stock so I felt I had to lower that to make them more balanced and overall more pleasant. So totally the opposite it seems on your system. So overall it´s brighter because I have less bass but the treble isn´t affected much if any. (Unless you as mentioned start covering up the holes). Worth experimenting with if you haven´t already.

But it depends a lot on the amp/dac as so often. There is huge changes with all different amps I have tried on it. Pimeta, Heed, EF1, Slee Solo. Pimeta the only one it could possible be described as bright
smily_headphones1.gif

Except for some rock music where the loudness war get really apparent of course. But would be wrong to blame the headphones for that I have no problem with female opera singers or such which goes quite high lol.

chrismercurio haven´t heard those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back