Headphone recable
Dec 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #31 of 40
ay i was looking at insulation tubing and im failing at finding 24awg tubing.  I just ordered some navship's wire and uh hope it werks out better lol. thank thanks.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #32 of 40
:) Navships sells good wire. :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #34 of 40
Yes. That is fine to cover the wire with. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #37 of 40
Some of the best stuff I saw from navships was this: 20 feet 22 AWG Shielded Silver Kapton Teflon Wire 3 Twisted for $25.

I could see this as good for point to point cabling, but for headphones it seems like it would be real stiff. Also, it doesn't seem like the best price.

What I'm looking for is the real flexible and thin multi-strand stuff you find in most headphones (for example, one channel is composed of like 9 or 10 tiny, individually coated wires). But I don't know what it's called (if it even has a name). I tried searching on ebay for "headphone wire" and a few other terms, but the closest I got was headphone extensions and other short stuff with attached plugs.

As for the 3.5mm plugs, how much of a difference is there between different qualities? Is it too negligible to matter, or will some cross-talk be apparent with cheap stuff like this: 3.5mm Male to male Stereo Jack Headphone Audio Lead Cable Wire 0.95M Black?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #38 of 40
litz or magnet wire... very thin lacquer coated wires usually interwoven with cotton strand insulation and overwrapped. 

Pain in the arse to work with if you don't have a solder pot.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #39 of 40
Oh ok, litz wire, that's what I was talking about. Thanks.

I just found some on ebay, but mostly as single runs of it, like this: 10-46 Litz Wire Loop Antenna Ham Crystal Radio 200 ft. (I don't want to say single "conductor", because it's already 10 conductors offered as one. but hopefully you know what I mean).

I want to know if I can find multiple sets of it in one cable, like what is often found in a pair of headphones with two channels (or two channels plus a mic). So I'd like 3 to 5 sets in one cable. Perhaps with shielding.

OR, I'd like to know a good way to combine several litz wires together as such myself (which might be considerably cheaper than ordering it together). This would mostly just be a question of how to get all that into a sheath roughly the same diameter as it. Maybe some kind of nylon weave? That's got low friction, so it would be good for pulling wire through it, plus the nylon could be a fairly larger diameter than the combined wires because it would shrink in diameter when pulled taut.

I also just found this on allelectronics.com: 5-CONDUCTOR SHIELDED CABLE W/ DRAIN. But I'm pretty sure the stranded wire in that wouldn't behave the same as litz wire.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 40
Anyone know how to go about recabling the Philips Uptown?
It is permanently attached at one end to the phones and have flat cable.

I'm thinking of taking out the defective volume control by snipping under it and soldering another cable at the loose ends.
Is this workable? Alternatively, it could be like the short cable connector on the Superlux 668B.

I dont think I have the expertise to dissassembled the phones and I think it's not engineered to be taken apart (even the earpads are glued to the phones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back