Headphone pc gaming
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gloatlizard

New Head-Fier
Hello, i'm new, i hope i'm posting in the right section. I would like to have a suggestion on a headphone mostly for pc gaming and also for movies and music. I would like to spend around 150/200€ and the headphone should be easy to find in Italy. Thanks a lot.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 21
thanks for the quick answers, are those headphones 5.1? are they good for all-around purpose? what do you think of AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD700? i'm also considering the Ultrasone HFi 580..i also can buy easly bose headphones in the sense that they are easy to find, please give me some opinion. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from Bose and 5.1 headphones...

Far, far away. My first venture into the headphone world was with some 5.1 headphones, they weren't too bad, but $100 could've gotten so much more, and one of the drivers began distorting badly after a few months of use. My dad spent $$$$ (four figures) on a Bose surround sound system... my Logitech Z5500 trample it in sound quality.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloatlizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the quick answers, are those headphones 5.1? are they good for all-around purpose? what do you think of AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD700? i'm also considering the Ultrasone HFi 580..i also can buy easly bose headphones in the sense that they are easy to find, please give me some opinion. Thanks!

Ouch, this post. 5.1 and Bose in one.
wink.gif

Seriously, 5.1 in a headphone is gimmick. You don't need it and most of all don't benefit from it. Bose is often regarded as overpriced/overhyped headphones.

What you need to consider is whether you want a closed or a open headphone. Outside noise will be blocked for a good percentage if you have a closed pair of headphones. This could come in handy when you are visiting LANs.
Check out the Beyerdynamic DT series. I love my DT880s for gaming and I can only guess the other phones in that series will work great as well. The DT770 is also closed FWIW.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 21
Your best bet in that price range would be Beyer dt770/80 - they're a classic for gaming, you want your headphones to be closed ones (which the dt770/80 are)...you will also want a good portable amp.
There is not one 5.1 headphone that is worth the time/money - as somebody said - a sales gimmick.
I don't think much of the low-priced Audio Technicas (including the model already mentioned in this thread....ditto the Ultrasone mentioned. The Denon are better than those two, but while I owned them - I did not try them for games and have no idea if they're much good with positioning cues......so this all takes you back to the dt770/80 which are known for providing good positioning cues, and if you're playing FPS - great explosions
smily_headphones1.gif
While at this price level - I've owned two differing pairs of Beyer dt880 - while they're better for music.....they are not to be preferred or equal to dt770 for games as they do not have the deep bass. BTW - the dt770/80 sound best after having been burned-in for 125 hours (just simply plug them in and let them play music for the 125 hours - you do not any special programs or anything else.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 21
For 213 euros you can get the beyer mmx-300. There a lot like the 770s but are a little less bass and a little better mids. There also 32ohm making them easy to drive and an integrated mic. Good for movies and not to bad with music too. I have a set and they do pretty good for an all around solution. There 278.50 us so thats about 213 euro.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=580474&is=REG&m=Y

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 21
TBH, for value for money, just an Audio Technica AD700 (or AD400/500 for that matter) and a clip-on microphone.

Or if you want more bass in your gaming, DT770/80 as suggested but really, if you got a soundcard like ASUS or Creative, you can easily add extra bass in the control panels as sound quality doesn't matter as much in games than in music.

Or if you want a headset (not recommended as a standard headphone + clip-on mic = far cheaper), a Beyerdynamic DT234pro (which uses a DT231 driver).

The MMX300 uses a DT770 driver.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 21
hello, first off, thanks to all the suggestions, i've appreciated them a lot
i was searching around the web, and finally i've found a site that sells the beyerdynamic, in this site, for my price range i found the:

-BEYERDYNAMIC DT 770 PRO closed headphone 139€
-BEYERDYNAMIC DT 990 PRO open headphone 139€
-AKG K271 MKII 150€

should i take the dt770pro as you all suggested? why the dt990 and the dt770 have the same price? i think i will chose between those 3 headphones, please let me know thanks!

i want a nice all-arounder, that will be used mostly for games

can you also explain the portable amp thing that bushguy has said i would need? it's so necessary? what's its cost? thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back