Headphone packaging from the days of yore
Sep 14, 2002 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
414.jpg

My girlfriend needs to study on the computer at night and so uses headphones so she doesnt bother me while studying to become a CPA. Out of the deepest darkest spot in her closet she pulled out the box above, saved since her college days, and inside were some Sennheiser 414's in all their plastic glory. But I did notice that the price tag was still on the box (!) and it gave 42.95 as the price.. thats not cheap in 70's dollars.

Sep 14, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 27
From the pic on the cover, they look alot like the phones in the language lab.

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 27
Kopfhorer= headphone

Hmmm... I wonder if any bilingual people out there know how headphone is said in languages other than German. Or, if any remember the original movie Airplane they can give the reply in 'jive.'

In spanish, head is 'cabesa' right? It makes me wonder how the literal translations must sound; 'brain music device' 'head ear stereo' 'skull mounted music hardware'
In fact, 'headphone' ..what useage does the word phone come from? Early radio or radar? Phone!?? Why phone!!??

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
mrael- how old is your girlfriend anyway??? I think I might have been in diapers when those came out and I don't consider myself to be a "youngster" anymore.

How old is she?? Man, I said 'days of yore' didnt I??
smily_headphones1.gif

No but its like.. you know how eskimo's have dozens of words for ica and snow, right.. ok.. well I say she's my girlfriend because there arent many other words to choose from. If I said she was my 'house companion' then it sounds a bit queer, doesnt it? She considers herself my live in cook and cleaning woman if the truth be told. I dont think 'girlfriend' says what I want to say, but I couldnt think of anything else.
What kind of broad do you live with then?

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Kopfhorer= headphone

Hmmm... I wonder if any bilingual people out there know how headphone is said in languages other than German. Or, if any remember the original movie Airplane they can give the reply in 'jive.'

LOL!
Try your luck here.

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

She considers herself my live in cook and cleaning woman if the truth be told.

Dang. That is the kind of real girlfriend that I am looking for!
wink.gif

Still searching...
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 27
The term used to be POOSSSLQ (pronounced postle-cue) (Person Of Opposite Sex Sharing Same Living Quarters). And be very careful how you pronounce that. Of course, in today's age of PC-ness, it would be Person of Appropriate Sex... (Appropriate == Opposite or Same, whichever is appropriate). So maybe it would be PoASSLQ (pass-le-cue, dropping the "o" in Of, as is often done).

One of these days, I'll one-up you, but I gotta wonder how close you two are, if she's had these all this time, and you only now found out. WTH?!?!? J/K...

Sep 15, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
One of these days, I'll one-up you, but I gotta wonder how close you two are, if she's had these all this time, and you only now found out. WTH?!?!? J/K...

Yes of course, 'headphones as relationship Litmus Test.'
smily_headphones1.gif

Well in my case we started off sexual and sleeping together and gradually that turned to a basically non sexual and non sleeping together situation over the course of 10 years. Not that theres animosity; I toss and turn and wrestle with the pillows before I can wander into sleep and she is the opposite- she gets up in the morning and the covers have hardly stirred. I like soft mattresses and she loves her Swedish Tempurpedic memory foam thing. I sleep better alone. That didnt mean our friendship and closeness had to fall totally apart.

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 27
Separate beds. Has saved many a relationship.

10 years?!? No, it's not so much a litmus test of the relationship -- it just surprises me that you didn't already know about those, that's all. Actually, it's probably a (healthy) sign that other things were more important in the relationship.

Not that it's any of my business.

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 27
I confess: there was a slight amount of dramatization used on my part to make the original post more lively. In point of fact I've known shes had these headphones for a long long time now. She didnt suddenly surprise me with them, you know, as if she also had a Cary 300B tube amp and a Linn turntable sitting back there in her closet too; and it was like Christmas in fall. So YES Dusty, your instincts were RIGHT, and now you know the whole truth and the the devious way I distort it in order to make a post more entertaining. It WOULD be strange if I didnt know she had these headphones after 10 years. I'm kidding. I know you dont think it was devious of me.

But please, if you spot a post of mine in the future that seems to have a similar discrepancy- let me know. And I'll keep trying to fool you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back