Headphone packaging from the days of yore
Sep 16, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
so, like, you know... how do they sound?

Heres a 1 song comparison with the RS1:

Promise Ring, CD: Wood/Water, track 6: Get on the Floor

Grado RS1-
The song sounds very rich, close, and personal through the RS1, and at the same time a clarity between the different instruments and vocal (which in the second line features the words, 'So c'mon baby take off your head phones.')
The drum sound is very full and vivid. The high hat has a distinct John Bonham sound to it; maybe also because the drummer emphasizes every fourth beat. Sound is lush and for sure gives a 'pulse' of sound into the ears.

Sennheiser 414-
Not bad for an oldtimer, but has very little bass weight or pulse to speak of. Midrange sounds recessed. Treble not overly bright.
I'd say the 414 reminded me of a soft watercolor while the RS1 was a VanGogh oil (not that I listened with just one ear.)
Todays inexpensive Grado's would demolish the 414, since they compare in price to each other. The Sennheiser isnt terrible though. Its just nothing really special. Its something that you dont throw away if you have them lying around, but then again you dont base your listening habits around them either.

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 27
In Japanese it's "Heddohon". The double-d is not emphasis but a brief silence before the d. And it's "he" as in head, "do" as in dollar (not donut!) and "hon" as in Honda. So you say it something like he'dohon. There, that was fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure you know this already but the (originally 1967/68) HD414 was re-released in 1995 as a company 50th anniversary special limited edition.
414.jpg
senn_hd414.jpg

u0062114.jpg
hd-414.jpg

[The only reason there are so many photos of the HD414 here is that I couldn't find the shot I was actually looking for - a picture of the anniversary edition box].

And as for the live-in companion, my vote is for "partner" despite the gender ambiguity.

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 27
mrael, I have to admit after reading your explanation that I am in a situation not unlike your own, I have been "with" someone for around 10 years or so and our relationship is somewhat the same, I guess I could be un p-c and say she is my cook and housekeeper but that may get me into trouble. (oh oh, did I say that with my inner or outer voice)

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 27
There are some people who find fault in living with a girl you're IN a sexual relationship with. To think that there are men who live with women that they're not schtooping is utterly mind-boggling to me. It just doesn't make sense, there's no point to it!

Oh, and MRael, would you happen to know what she does for a living? What kind of job does she have? What kind of work does she do to pay her share of the bills? Please, please, please, nomatter what, do NOT say that she doesn't have a job!
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
To think that there are men who live with women that they're not schtooping is utterly mind-boggling to me. It just doesn't make sense, there's no point to it!

Oh, and MRael, would you happen to know what she does for a living? What kind of job does she have? What kind of work does she do to pay her share of the bills? Please, please, please, nomatter what, do NOT say that she doesn't have a job!
frown.gif

There are things I consider personal; this isnt one of them.

When I met the woman I now live with I was renting. She owns a beautiful house in the foothills. After a certain amount of time passed I moved in with her, and I've been with her all these years since. Shes a bookkeeper, and now shes about to sit for her first CPA examination. We arent rich at all, but we get by, and Jean is a fantastic cook and she always likes to cook. We eat like royalty- much better than if we went out.
Its been me that goes for periods of time without working, not her. Shes a tank.

About that other thing:
I dont know that anyone really lives out the full potential of their sexuality for any great length of time. Once in a while you imagine a **** star or rock star or Hugh Hefner or whatever, but by and large 'sex' exists mainly as unfulfilled potential. And it will always exist that way.

Heres an example: no matter what your taste in women is theres probably at least a million that youd bury your face in their crotch for, right this second, and do it for free! Thats right, if the situation allowed for it it would be face-in-the-crotch just for the pleasure of doing it, totally without obligation.
We wish we could express vast sexuality, but can we?
Thats part of why it doesnt bother me too much to live with a woman I'm not too sexual with. I also cant eat ice cream, so there you go. Many adults would rather be dead than not eat ice cream and candy. Kind of like children.

Sep 16, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Kopfhorer= headphone

LOL! That reminds me of last summer(2001). I was in Germany for a while, and I was in search of HD580s. Basically, I went around to stores, and when I came up to a salesman, I cupped my hands around my ears, and said "Kophfhorer," they said "Ja!" And pointed me on my way. Then, I'd say danke and let them be. Comedy gold!
smily_headphones1.gif

All I needed to know, honestly, in germany, was "Ja, Nien, Danke, Kophfhorer, and Sheisen(sp?)
wink.gif
)

Sep 16, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 27
I too have a pair of HD-414's from the '70's, and I remember how pleased I was to get them. They were my big step up into hi-fi, replacing my Radio Shack Nova Pro's (big earcups like Koss, but with vexing individual volume knobs on each one that always left you wondering if they were equal) that I inherited from my older sister. I think I paid in the low thirty dollars for the 414's. My foamies were originally blue, but I replaced them several times over the years, purchasing replacements at the Sennheiser corporate office in NYC. Right now they're yellow foam over white plastic. One earpiece has a cracked mount, and will fall off the headband if you're not wearing them.

Regarding the sound, in a word, very bright, owing perhaps to the almost complete lack of bass. When I replaced them with Senn 580's about 9 years ago, I remember initially being somewhat disappointed. The 580's didn't sound as exciting as the 414's. Gradually I got used to hearing the 50% of the music that I had been missing.

BTW, I recently took my 414's to the Antique Headphones Roadshow (check your local PBS station) and the experts there said that they're a very valuable antique that can tell us a lot about people's listening habits in earlier times. They have a lot of sentimental value to me, but I might be willing to let them go for 'zotl. Please email if interested.

Sep 16, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by dave-the-rave
BTW, I recently took my 414's to the Antique Headphones Roadshow (check your local PBS station) and the experts there said that they're a very valuable antique that can tell us a lot about people's listening habits in earlier times.

A bit of trivia:
60 miles away in Albuquerque, NM, is the only Sennheiser manufacturing plant in the USA. This thread inspired me to call them and see what was what (Sennheiser USA @ (505) 798-2440.) I was told they mainly make headphones and wireless headsets at the Alb. facility. I asked the gentleman what kinds of headphones they made ('the HD600 by any chance?') but all he had for me were in-house part numbers (apparently) "we make the HDR-65 and the top of the line HDR-85-9" he had no idea what street models those numbers related to.

p.s. I just checked Google and those Sennheiser part numbers are for retail cordless headphones. Nothing special.

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #24 of 27
Here's mine next to something a little more familiar:

trimedsenn.JPG

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #25 of 27
Pure nostalgia! I also had a pair of those. As I remember they were fairly cheap, not expensive at all in Sweden (maybe overprised in USA). Very good value for money at the time and a new type of construction. Crystal-clear compared to the other muddy headphones at similar price.
And a German text in big letters on the box: Dynamische Stereo-Kopfhörer. But they sold anyway. Propose something similar to a marketing director today, and he will get a heart attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back