headphone newbie needs decent amp for sennheiser hd650's
Jul 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

arcam_boy

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post on this forum so please go easy on me
tongue.gif

I've basically got my apple powermac with a few hundred lossless files in itunes. It has an maudio 24/96 sound card fitted and i've just purchased a set of Sennheiser HD650's as I liked the warm sound and superb vocals they offer.

I now need a suitable amp for these phones to connect from my maudio sound card.

I'm seriously considering the graham slee solo which would be right at the top end of my budget and for my first headphone rig I'm a little dubious about spending so much. I do however want the best sound I can so if anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.

Many thanks
Arcam_Boy

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcam_boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post on this forum so please go easy on me
tongue.gif

I've basically got my apple powermac with a few hundred lossless files in itunes. It has an maudio 24/96 sound card fitted and i've just purchased a set of Sennheiser HD650's as I liked the warm sound and superb vocals they offer.

I now need a suitable amp for these phones to connect from my maudio sound card.

I'm seriously considering the graham slee solo which would be right at the top end of my budget and for my first headphone rig I'm a little dubious about spending so much. I do however want the best sound I can so if anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.

Many thanks
Arcam_Boy

Of course the Solo is great... superb... with Senns!

But... it comes at a "heck of a premium" in the US... unless... you can find one used, or as s demo. Even then they're pretty pricey.

The DV332 is even better with Senns for half the price... if... you can figure out how to drive it from your PC.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 25
The next few post will inevitably recommend little dot, woo audio, or dark voice.
Keep in mind these are not the only options or even the best options. If you want to save money buying a used diy amp like a M3, CKK3, PPA, Pimeta, or SOHA in the FS forum will give you a much better value.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 25
thanks for the quick replies. where can I buy darkvoice amps from I've seen one or two on ebay and checked there website but can't find any dealers in the uk?

is the 336se a good option as i could get a new one for around £150 which I'd be willing to pay if it would work well with the 650's

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 25
DarkVoice and Little Dot amps are available through eBay. You can also order a Little Dot directly through Little Tube and save yourself the cost of their listing fees - around $8, I think. Little-Tube

At you price point, I can vouch for the quality of the LD amps. My MKII could drive my HD650's, though the MKIII would probably be a better choice. rds makes a good case for DIY SS amps as a good value too. I am also impressed with amps made by Ray Samuels, but they can get pricey.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 25
uh i've found the little dot mkIII amp on ebay for £100 plus shipping, well within my budget and looks a nice little amp too.

does it come with decent valves or would I need to upgrade them like with the dv amps?

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

uh i've found the little dot mkIII amp on ebay for £100 plus shipping, well within my budget and looks a nice little amp too.

does it come with decent valves or would I need to upgrade them like with the dv amps?

Penchum has reviewed all the LD amps on this forum. Read through the extensive posts related to th model you are interested in purchasing. I recommend that you burn-in the stock Chinese tubes for 50-100 hours before trying other tubes. This way you get familiar with the stock tubes and may appreciate other tubes more when you try them. In the LD review threads, particularly the thread on the LD MKIII, you will get many tube rolling recommendations and personal observations to guide you. You will have many hours of fun with an LD or DV amp.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

thanks for the quick replies. where can I buy darkvoice amps from I've seen one or two on ebay and checked there website but can't find any dealers in the uk?

is the 336se a good option as i could get a new one for around £150 which I'd be willing to pay if it would work well with the 650's

You can get your DV332 from Jasmine, or Casque on eBay, or Audiophile China.com on the net. Just make an offer via the "questions" function of about $340 + shipping = about $420 total. They'll usually accept it.

The DV332 is reportedly better than the DV336, though your tube options may be greater with the DV336. I can assure you there are few amps for <$1,000 that are any better with Senns, than the DV332.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course the Solo is great... superb... with Senns!

But... it comes at a "heck of a premium" in the US... unless... you can find one used, or as s demo. Even then they're pretty pricey.

The DV332 is even better with Senns for half the price... if... you can figure out how to drive it from your PC.

What do you mean if you can figure out how to drive it from your laptop? Thanks.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 25
You might want to consider the PreSonus Central Station. They sell around $500 USD, though you can find them refurbished for less.

The amp section is powerful and clean - it will lift much of the "veil" on the HD-650. The other benefit is that it has a good DAC, so you use your Mac's bit perfect output to feed it. Search the threads here and you'll find reviews and comparisons.

I loved the one I had. Until I discovered vinyl, that was. The turntable started getting all the use, so I sold the Central Station. But it is a good sounding, well made piece of gear and I'd buy another if I started using computer as source again.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 25
I had a pair of HD650 with the Equinox cable and they sounded very good with my GS-1. Before the GS-1 I had a CIA VHP-1 & VAC-1 and they also sounded good with that combo. The only one I did not care for was the Stello. The sound was kind of dark to my taste.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 24, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP is from the UK by the way, so careful with posting US prices as given what it can be in £, grown men are reduced close to tears lol

Out of interest, any non-eBay sites (UK or US willing to import). Thanks

P.S. Welcome to head-fi

Come on... after all its pretty simple to convert - just divide by 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back