Headphone myths you believed before you joined headfi?
Feb 14, 2007 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Before.. I thought all headphones were basically the same.. So buying anything over 50.00 was overkill to me.. & that speakers were vastly superior to headphones, cause, well, they are speakers.. I also hated stereo & analog, cause digital was better due to 5.1:.. I actually thought 2.0 & 2.1 was the devil. Now I have new found respect for stereo/analog.. IMO music was made for 2.0..

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 131
I used to think that all heaphones were purple and had big claws on them and that they were out to get me! But I was only 5 years old then. Fortunately, I joined Head-Fi and that myth was quickly debunked in the first thread I ever started here. Unfortunately, the search feature doesn't go back that far for someone who has been around as long as I've been so I have no way to prove what I'm saying. But trust me, it came as a big relief to me! This place has helped me out a lot.

Edit: Sorry, dude. I've been hanging out in the Corrupt-A-Wish Foundation thread for a while tonight, and just can't get out of that mode of thinking. Carry on...

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 131
I thought Bose was good.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 131
I have an ass shaped like an airline seat.

The Flight Attendants are pretty keyed into the LOUSY noise attenuation of Bose headsets.

They don't have a clue what my Etys do. Even when it is explained, it can be tough.

Not only do they block more noise, the audio is much more "pure" for me.

OH, and the Bose headphones are similar to their speakers -- not realistic.

Yes, I have QC headphones -- somewhere. But, that was before I found HeadFi.

--chip

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 131
i thought this site sucked...
well apparently not
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the bigger the headphone the better it was. I guess that's still true to some extent

it's true... except for IEMs.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 131
looks like my illusions aren't as bad as i thought; i just thought that Shure was the be-all, end-all of high-end in-ear monitors. because my uncle is a guitarist and that's what he uses for monitoring (e500s with custom sleeves)

also, i'd just like to say this: my dad sold his ESL-63's just before i was born. i found this out today, because he saw my computer window open with the Quad ESL 989 review from Stereophile... FASDNFSLKDFNLSKDNF I HATE HIM

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 131
I started out with Sony MDR-V6's back in the early 90's .. I thought nothing sounded >= to my Sony's

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 131
I thought headphones can't go beyond $1000. And I thought my E2c is only three steps away from the best in IEMs.

Other myths were debunked through the painful process of 'buy, try, cry'.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's true... except for IEMs.

Not exactly. Sony, Panasonic and other such companies have some huge headphone that suck very much. Think V700

KSC75>V700

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 131
I used to think, the more the headphone costs, the better it sounds. however now I find two words "it depends". It depends different brands, different setups, and also personally preference. These are all things should be brought into consideration before making a right statement about how headphone performs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back