Headphone like AKG K 272HD driven by iPhone 5
Dec 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JulienH

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I really like the look of the AKG K 272HD headphones. Like the design, the over-ear closed shells. Since the impedance will be to high for my iPhone 5 to drive, I need an portable amp/dac like the Fiio e17. I'm still considering this setup, but the way it should be connected to the Fiio (Lightning to 30-pin, LOD, Fiio) botters me a bit. 

I would like to know if someone knows a headphone that can be driven by the iPhone 5 without an amp that has the same kind of looks like the AKG. Budget of 300 dollar max. Listening to all kinds of music. Fullsize as well as portable headphones are welcome. Will primarily use them on my way to school, but am willing to carry bigger headphones with me.

Appreciate all the suggestions!!!
Tnx

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, a DAC is not required just because they are difficult to drive. You could simply use an amp, no DAC required. That means that you don't REALLY need the LOD. It would be nice, but not required, for some lower end amps. You could connect a E11 or E6 to the headphone out, and plug your cans into that. Though I don't see what worries you about the Lightning => 30 pin adapter => LOD => amp.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Tnx for your reply.

Well, I did see some pics of that setup (Lightning to 30p>LOD>Fiio) and it seems a bit vulnerable for a mobile set. I understand the DAC thing, but if I go for an amp, I should as well go for a DAC to have more control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back