Headphone Identity Crisis (help lol)
Nov 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #106 of 145
Congratulations 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #107 of 145
Congratulations indeed! i know very little about a lot of what gets discussed on these pages and even still I'm incredibly jealous!

I can't comment on the SQ or anything like that but from a purely aesthetic point of view they are one of the coolest looking sets of cans I've ever seen.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #108 of 145

Quote:
Definitely congrats on your find.  I consider myself overall a realist, so my advice here is going to go contrary to a lot of what you're reading. 

First, I've learned that you should be wary overall when reading here.  Given some users' ideas, you need a rack full of gear to properly listen to music.  I've been pretty impressed with driving headphones.  Test them out of some sources, and see how they are powered.  My uDAC has not been unable to power headphone yet, and using my Sparrow amp doesn't provide quite the improvement that I expected.  Really, if you are at 3/4 volume on whatever device, and the headphones are too loud to listen to, then you have an over-capable amp.  The biggest indication that your ipod wouldn't be able to drive them would be that even at max volume, they sound too quiet.  Otherwise, I bet they are being driven decently.  The only thing is that your ipod will run its battery down more quickly.

Second, if you get any $1,500 offers for the headphones, if I were in your shoes, I'd sell them.  Putting everything in perspective, if you are needing an AC-powered amp, DAC, etc. then you lose the best part about headphones: their portability (not that I'd let something this expensive out the front door anyway).  For $1,500 you could get a decent Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer Elite receiver, some Kef speakers, and a Klipsch Reference 10" sub that will, sound-quality wise, blow away any headphone setup, for any price.  Heck, for $1,500 you can step up to something like Ultrasone's top end Edition headphones, or Sony's new flagship, and have money left over to go on a bunch of dates.  You can get yourself a nice pair of $60-70 workout headphones where the sound quality doesn't matter as much as when you're in a producing studio, and then if you want a nice pair of headphones for walking around, you can get yourself something as highly regarded as the 32 ohm Beyerdynamic dt880, or the sennheiser hd 25-1 ii.

Very Well Written and I completely agree.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #109 of 145
you completely agree that if an ipod's volume isn't maxed out then it is driving the headphones adequately? 

It's funny, you talked about "naysayers" in the AKG thread. 

IME, the biggest naysayers are usually the least experienced.  And I don't mean experienced as in sitting at a desk looking at numbers all day.  I mean actually hearing and perceiving. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #110 of 145

Quote:
you completely agree that if an ipod's volume isn't maxed out then it is driving the headphones adequately? 

It's funny, you talked about "naysayers" in the AKG thread. 

IME, the biggest naysayers are usually the least experienced.  And I don't mean experienced as in sitting at a desk looking at numbers all day.  I mean actually hearing and perceiving. 

Nope I agree with him on the speaker setup beating any headphones in that range. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #111 of 145
OP: Did you get your flat pads yet?

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #112 of 145

Quote:

Nope I agree with him on the speaker setup beating any headphones in that range. 

I think he meant a $1500 speaker setup (including amp) would beat a headphone setup at any price, not just in that range.

Quote:

Quote:
 For $1,500 you could get a decent Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer Elite receiver, some Kef speakers, and a Klipsch Reference 10" sub that will, sound-quality wise, blow away any headphone setup, for ANY PRICE.

Very Well Written and I completely agree.

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #114 of 145
Well, if you can't appreciate them for what they are, it makes little sense to not get some RS1's and pocket the difference so someone else can fully appreciate them.

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #118 of 145

Quote:
RS-1s are exactly the pair I've been considering. I've been browsing the FS forum for a few days and have also been considering pickin' something out of there 
biggrin.gif

I fully intend on appreciating these though until I can figure everything out 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey man, if you do happen to decide to sell them--you may or may not know this, but I go to school with your sister Lizzy (as she has told me)! We're actually friends.

Again, not that this is any of my business per se, but I'd really love and greatly appreciate to give them a listen before you let them go... Perhaps they may be the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Like I said before though, I wouldn't go with the RS-1 if you have $1500 to blow. You can get a much better sound for that price (e.x. the LCD-2).

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #119 of 145

Quote:
Quote:
RS-1s are exactly the pair I've been considering. I've been browsing the FS forum for a few days and have also been considering pickin' something out of there 
biggrin.gif

I fully intend on appreciating these though until I can figure everything out 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey man, if you do happen to decide to sell them--you may or may not know this, but I go to school with your sister Lizzy (as she has told me)! We're actually friends.

Again, not that this is any of my business per se, but I'd really love and greatly appreciate to give them a listen before you let them go... Perhaps they may be the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Like I said before though, I wouldn't go with the RS-1 if you have $1500 to blow. You can get a much better sound for that price (e.x. the LCD-2).

He wanted to pocket the change not buy an RS1 for $1500 lol.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #120 of 145

Quote:

Where I'm from the RS-1s go for $695. Or do you mean the PS1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back