Headphone Identity Crisis (help lol)
Nov 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #91 of 145

Quote:
I want them now!!!!!  What's up with this waiting BS I'm not cut out for it.  NOW NOW NOW

Really?  Seems to me you just got done waiting 57 years according to your avatar, you can stand a bit more.  
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #92 of 145

Quote:
I want them now!!!!!  What's up with this waiting BS I'm not cut out for it.  NOW NOW NOW

LoL...the heightened anticipation doesn't help,....but the wait is WELL worth it...trust me.
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #95 of 145
Quote:
Not very long ago, it will probably be another couple weeks I guess.  Too much time to debate the cost of the purchase

Yeah same here. I preordered on the 27th but I keep waffling about it almost every other day. I'm really conflicted. They do sound like exactly what I'm looking for though with that nice slightly recessed treble and great bass and natural mids.

Hopefully, they'll sound something like the HP1000s.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #96 of 145
yeah that's what i'm hoping for too!  It seems like people describe both headphones in similar ways, saying they hit the tone and timbre of instruments perfectly.  I've spent so much time and effort trying to get that sound with cheaper phones, I just decided it will be worth it to just put it to rest.  I have owned expensive phones in the past and wasn't able to feel good about keeping them.  hopefully I won't think about it this time. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #98 of 145
Definitely congrats on your find.  I consider myself overall a realist, so my advice here is going to go contrary to a lot of what you're reading. 

First, I've learned that you should be wary overall when reading here.  Given some users' ideas, you need a rack full of gear to properly listen to music.  I've been pretty impressed with driving headphones.  Test them out of some sources, and see how they are powered.  My uDAC has not been unable to power headphone yet, and using my Sparrow amp doesn't provide quite the improvement that I expected.  Really, if you are at 3/4 volume on whatever device, and the headphones are too loud to listen to, then you have an over-capable amp.  The biggest indication that your ipod wouldn't be able to drive them would be that even at max volume, they sound too quiet.  Otherwise, I bet they are being driven decently.  The only thing is that your ipod will run its battery down more quickly.

Second, if you get any $1,500 offers for the headphones, if I were in your shoes, I'd sell them.  Putting everything in perspective, if you are needing an AC-powered amp, DAC, etc. then you lose the best part about headphones: their portability (not that I'd let something this expensive out the front door anyway).  For $1,500 you could get a decent Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer Elite receiver, some Kef speakers, and a Klipsch Reference 10" sub that will, sound-quality wise, blow away any headphone setup, for any price.  Heck, for $1,500 you can step up to something like Ultrasone's top end Edition headphones, or Sony's new flagship, and have money left over to go on a bunch of dates.  You can get yourself a nice pair of $60-70 workout headphones where the sound quality doesn't matter as much as when you're in a producing studio, and then if you want a nice pair of headphones for walking around, you can get yourself something as highly regarded as the 32 ohm Beyerdynamic dt880, or the sennheiser hd 25-1 ii.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #99 of 145

Quote:
Really, if you are at 3/4 volume on whatever device, and the headphones are too loud to listen to, then you have an over-capable amp.  

confused.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #100 of 145
unless of course the amp goes up to 11, in which case it's way more better

I wouldn't trade 10 z1000's for 1 HP2 nor would I trade a hundred ED8's for 1 HP2.  And who wants a DT-880?  I don't regard them highly at all.  And dates?  Girls come and go, but headphones are forever. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #104 of 145

Quote:
haha it's kind of silly, but no I don't mind
tongue_smile.gif

Almost every line in shnitz's post is quotable but that one line of yours beats them all.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back