Headphone gaming... Bass shaker?
Oct 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Impunity

New Head-Fier
I think this is probably the best place for this question even though its computer centric. The application is primarily games and movies but since i'm using headphones....

i've got a set of FA-011's on order. i'm really looking foward to it, but one problem i have with headphone setups is actually being able to *feel* the bass. even a headphone with really good lows will not "vibrate your spine" the way a great sub will. i was thinking about something like these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-388 to mount on my seat and/or desk. does anyone have any experience with these devices? 

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

Total gimmick. I wouldn't waste the money. Bass is primarily felt because it moves the air in your chest & guts (gas is more compressible and mobile than solid materials). That's why you don't "feel" bass in your ankles or legs for example. Your feet will feel the floor vibrate. Otherwise, you feel bass in your chest and abdomen. Making your butt vibrate in a chair is not going to give you that feeling. It's just going to feel like a vibrating chair.

Very best,

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Making your butt vibrate in a chair is not going to give you that feeling. It's just going to feel like a vibrating chair.

You know, you could buy a bunch of these and make yourself a nice vibrating chair for way cheaper than normal... hook it up to an amp, mount the pucks on the desires spots, and now you can even customize the volume/power to each vibrating section. Heh, I bet with the right software you could even set things up in 5.1 (though I really don't want to know where the .1 puck goes). 

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Not really the whole body but sony's XB series really have that subwoofer like push i mean seriously playing bass test tracks like Techmaster PEB's "invading bass" will vibrate your skull with the 10 hz ish sound.
Also subwoofers are pretty cheap and you can run a car woofer off of a home stereo. Something like SSL 15" dual voice coil will rock your house for ~$45 provided you have an enclosure(DIYable). Youll also want a low pass that can be easily DIY'ed if your not crazy about the quality and just want huge bass.
Sorry this is my personal bass adventure.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 7
I actually solved this problem by running open headphones (HD595) and my 5.1 system simultaneously, except I disconnected all the speakers and left the sub connected. It was great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back