Headphone for iPod
Sep 29, 2002 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bhadrara

Head-Fier
Hi ! Can you recommend some headphone for iPod ! I had the RS-1/RA-1 combo . However earlier in the year I was somewhat short on money , therefore I was forced to sell my rs-1 but i still retain the ra-1 . Should I opt for RS-1 or Ety-4s ?

Sep 29, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 11
*crowd starts chanting*
Etys! Etys!

Seriously, the Etys are nearly perfect for the Ipod. Very sealed, and quite detailed. I highly reccomend picking up a set

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 11
27 ohms (ER-4P) and 32 ohms (RS-1) are not much of a difference. According to measurements of the German HiFi magazine «Stereoplay» the iPod (like almost all portable MP3 players) has a considerable bass roll-off with low-impedance cans as these. Extrapolated, there is -1 dB at 100 Hz, -3 dB at 50 Hz, -5 dB at 30 Hz and -7 dB at 20 Hz for the Etys and a trace less for the Grados. That's rather much for my taste. I haven't yet seriously heared the iPod, but if the output power allows that, which is the case with my Archos Studio 20 Jukebox that shows a similar behavior, you could switch an adapter with a serial resistor of say 60 ohms between it and the earphones, so there would only be -1.5 dB at 20 Hz.

Portability, isolation and perhaps comfort clearly speak for the Etys, and so do neutrality and extension, but if you like the sound of the RS-1, maybe you'll nevertheless prefer them.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

there is -1 dB at 100 Hz, -3 dB at 50 Hz, -5 dB at 30 Hz and -7 dB at 20 Hz for the Etys and a trace less for the Grados.

90% of recorded music does not have any actual music at 30Hz, much less 20Hz. Most people would not be able to hear (not talking visceral feeling) or differentiate those frequencies anyway. Factor in the obvious lower fidelity of mp3 recording sampling rates below 256Kbps, and this does not remain a practical problem for most. Remember we are talking about a portable mp3 device here. Classical organ music audiophiles are in the minority of users here.

The best combination of form, function, and elegance for an iPod would seem to be one of the Ety lineup. The 4P presents the most functionality with its lower impedance and ability to have its sound altered with the addition of a serial resistor (like a Fixup cable).

Sep 29, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 11
jpelg...

...I wouldn't underestimate the bass roll-off anyway. It's clearly audible in my case – if I drive my SR-80 or ER-4X (57 ohms!) directly, without a serial resistor adapter, from the Archos Jukebox – with every kind of music, even without obvious low frequency events. This, understood, in comparison to operating with a decent amp. Btw: -3 dB at 50 Hz isn't peanuts!

MP3 doesn't necessarily mean low-fi, referring to portables. I generally use high bitrates (256-320 kb/s, with some exceptions), and thus the listening pleasure (notably with outdoor use) isn't much lesser than with the high-end home rig and uncompressed data (and in fact the sound is even clearly better than the one from my Sony D-99 Discman). I wouldn't want to accept such a more serious limitation of sound quality... and listening pleasure. I do listen to organ music outdoor, sometimes, but the restriction is not limited to such obvious «critical» music.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 29, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 11
The Ety 4P's are a great match with the iPod. Or you can get off real cheap with the Koss 35's
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 11
How about the Sony V6? That's what I recommended for my (non-audiophile) friend. Ety 4P is out of his price range I think.

Sep 30, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 11
I was able to listen to the iPod and Ety 4P combo at the Headroom meet, and that was one of the most impressive portable duos I have ever heard. They were practically made for each other. If I could afford any audio-related product, I would get an iPod for this reason. Add in a Total Airhead or DIY amp, and you've got an ultimate ultraportable system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back