Headphone for home use (movies, music, gaming)
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 26
I want a headphone that is better for listening to movies and music at home, so it would be nice if it could isolate a little as it does get a little loud here at times.

Then you definitely do want a closed headphone. Open headphones will let the sound in quite a bit.

I am planning on buying an amp. Looking at the Fiio e7, I just want something that will fill out the audio quality, have decent power and under 200.not sure what I want or need. I play music from my laptop, nexus 7,and iphone. I generally listen to 320kbps music, and I don't know if I need just an amp, an amp/DAC, or just a DAC.

A DAC won't be useful for the Nexus 7 (unless you install a different kernel) nor the iPhone. Probably better to get a little bit better amp and skip the amp/dac combo. I recently got the C&C BH which has a switch for expanding the soundstage, which could be helpful for giving closed headphones a little bit more of that open headphone sound.

How would the Soundmagic hp200 or hp100 be? Anyone with firsthand experience? They don't seem to well known.

I haven't heard them, but they do get good reviews and sound like they might be what you want.

There's one pair left on Amazon that is fulfilled by Amazon. Amazon has a great RMA policy. As long as you don't order from 3rd party vendors on their website--products not shipped by Amazon--you can return them. They issue you a UPS return shipping label and charge you for it. Usually like $10. Don't tear up the packaging, keep the headphones in mint condition, and let them break in for a couple of days.

I would recommend doing that. Once you hear one set of $200 headphones, if you don't like them, you'll be better able to tell people why, and then they can help you zero in on your sound.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 26
I think I would rather have a closed headphone, but still would be happy to have an open pair, whichever fits my needs best. For an amp along I was actually looking at the one you mentioned and an O2 amp. why wouldn't I want a dac? and what would it do?

I am eyeing both soundmagic models, dt990, and he 300s

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
Summary : I want a super comfortable headphone that doesn't have very reccessed mids, doesnt skimp out on the highs and has a good amount of bass for music and movies, under $250

Also, I hear the 2 beyers i listed described as really bright. I don't have much of a problem with my ultrasones being too bright, but sometimes it gets on my nerves. I would prefer a more nuetral high end, and I want a very good soundstage because these will probably see some Xbox use

So you basically want a perfectly balanced headphone, that has good bass impact for games and movies, a good soundstage, and is closed? It doesn't really exist. Audio is all about balancing different ranges. If you increase the bass on a headphone the midrange and treble will both be recessed. If you increase midrange the bass and treble will be recessed. If you increase the bass and treble, the midrange really gets recessed.

Honestly if you like the ultrasone 580 you have, for movies and gaming you aren't really going to get more bass impact. The DT990 will sound more open, have a better sound stage than the ultrasones, but won't have the same impact on bass as your ultrasones, and will not isolate at all. 

You may consider having 2 pairs of headphones. One specifically for gaming/movies and a different for music. I have a pair of ultrasone pro 900s that I exclusively use for movies and gaming, and a mix of others for music. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 26
I don't care if it's neutral, as long as mids aren't super recessed. Also I don't care if it's open or closed, just saying I would prefer closed. I don't mind less impact, just more sub bass maybe.
Either way, I think it's between the either of the soundmagics and HE300

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
I don't care if it's neutral, as long as mids aren't super recessed. Also I don't care if it's open or closed, just saying I would prefer closed. I don't mind less impact, just more sub bass maybe.
Either way, I think it's between the either of the soundmagics and HE300

The ultrasones have good bass and good midbass impact. If you really want that bottom end kick that they are missing, comfort, and a good sound stage the best headphones in the sub $500 range for that is the DT990. The HE-300 don't have a good low end kick.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 26
I should have clarified, by comfort I mean good initial comfort and in the long run I don't want my ears to get too sweaty. I like them a little warm, honestly. I just can't stand it when they get too hot.

I have given myself a couple more options
Denon D2000
soundmagic HP100
Beyerdynamic DT770
HE 300
HP200
HD 558/95/18

Which will be the most comfortable, have the clearest sound, least reccesed mids, best sounding bass, and best soundstage?
I want clear bass notes but still for the bass to be above nuetral, at least a little.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 26
I'd recommend the DT880s over the DT770s if mids are important. They will have less bass presence. But of course, that makes the mids stand out a bit more:

They are open, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back