Headphone for home use (movies, music, gaming)
Apr 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

lukEM22

100+ Head-Fier
Summary : I want a super comfortable headphone that doesn't have very reccessed mids, doesnt skimp out on the highs and has a good amount of bass for music and movies, under $250

Let me start off by saying comfort comes first.
I want a headphone that is better for listening to movies and music at home, so it would be nice if it could isolate a little as it does get a little loud here at times.
I want something with an engaging sound and good bass for movies and things like that under about $250. The models I am currently looking at are:
DT880 Pro
Dt990 Pro
HD558
HD598
HD518
HD555
Sennheser RS140 ( I would actually like a wireless headphone, just not if its going to be much more expensive and sacrifice much audio quality)

Power shouldn't be a problem. I think I see a JDS Labs 02 amp in my near future.

Also, I hear the 2 beyers i listed described as really bright. I don't have much of a problem with my ultrasones being too bright, but sometimes it gets on my nerves. I would prefer a more nuetral high end, and I want a very good soundstage because these will probably see some Xbox use

Thanks all

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 26
You can have ATH-AD900X for 200$ on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181112923180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The previous version received a great review at the Battle of the Flagships:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHAD900

The new version has even better sound and comfort.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 26
From how I hear the wing system works, I don't think its for me.
I think I may just go with the beyerdynamic 880s.
I do not want a reccessed midrange, however..

Would the DT770 be decent? I'm not looking for an infinite sound stage as much as my ears not getting hot after an hour, although I would like a big soundstage

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
From how I hear the wing system works, I don't think its for me.
I think I may just go with the beyerdynamic 880s.
I do not want a reccessed midrange, however..

Would the DT770 be decent? I'm not looking for an infinite sound stage as much as my ears not getting hot after an hour, although I would like a big soundstage

First time I'm hearing concerns about the wing system. Every reviewer so far loved the comfort on the ATH-AD series.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 26
A couple users have said it simply slips off their head. I don't really like the look of the AD series anyways, I want something to look nice hanging on my wall
also I hear most of the AD series lack bass, which I definitely don't want

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 26
Beyerdynamic DT990's are a fun headphone, great for movies, games, music that depends on what genre you listen to, they can be purchased from Amazon for 190$, they are open back so isolation will not be the best..with the 60$ savings I would recommend picking up an amp if you don't have one already.

The Beyer Ones also have really good reviews, they can be open/semi open/ closed so that gives you some flexibility, they are also fairly easy to drive.

I don't own the Beyer ones and am purely recommending them based on online reviews, the 990's I own and am very satisfied with, especially when it comes to movies/gaming.

AKG701 are very laid back, I auditioned them for about a month, I always found myself reaching for another set of cans, I found them lacking for movies and gaming.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 26
If you want to spend all the money you can go get a Hifiman HE-300 which is $250 on Amazon, haven't heard it yet but judging from the review it should be a really amazing headphone.

If that gets too steep i would say that you should go for the HD598 which is a really good headphone that is very comfortable and has some good sound. The rest of the money you should save for something else; like an amp.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
A couple users have said it simply slips off their head. I don't really like the look of the AD series anyways, I want something to look nice hanging on my wall
also I hear most of the AD series lack bass, which I definitely don't want

I have just received my ATH-AD900X - crazy comfortable.
Looks much better in person than in the pictures too,

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 26
I hear the 598 is a little light on bass also, is that true?
I am liking the DT990's, except I hear those with larger ears will have their ears touch the driver.. I think my ears are pretty large. After giving it some more thought, I wouldnt mind closed headphones if they have a good soundstage. Don't really want the 770's, I want what I get next to be an upgrade from my HFI 580s, I hear the mids on those arent the clearest sounding (DougeeFresh's comparison review)
So what looks good right now are DT990, HD598, and the HD518 actually seemed to sound like what I wanted

I also have another thread open about getting an amp, if you guys could give me some help there I'd appreciate it. I think I like the JDS labs 02.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659691/cheap-headphone-amp-under-100-non-portable#post_9352313

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 26
If you're looking for good bass presence the Senns are not the headphones you're looking for, the Beyers are quite good and do have a pretty good bass though it's highs can be somewhat piercing for some but if you are one the people who doesn't mind or maybe find it better then those are ones to get.

The HE-300 from what i can see from reviews should have a really good low-end which should give it an overall warm sound. Can't really give my opinion on it because i haven't heard it myself.

I suggest you read some of the reviews on the site about the different headphones and then decide on what you want to spend your money on.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 26
I have read seperate reviews, I am here asking for comparisons.
I think the Senns may be out, mostly because they don't sound as durable as I would like.
I have HFi 580s, which are described as bright and I quite like the high end on them. Not too bright for me but brings a good amount of detail to the high end. If I get the HE300s, I don't want to lose a lot of clarity on the top end. My monster turbines have a weak/undetailed top end and I definitely do not like it... A headphone being warm generally means rolled off highs, doesnt it?

I think I will look more into the 990, 880, HE300, and a wireless set.

Are the SonyMDR 1R's comparable

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 26
No the MDR-1R are not comparable, it's a great headphone no doubt but it's for portable use, so it cannot compare to headphones that are meant for home or studio use.

But i think the HE-300 would be a good choice, i read a couple of reviews on it and almost all say that you won't lose detail in the highs. Anyway I suggest you read ClieOS's review  http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-300/reviews/6593 and maybe Skylab's http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-300/reviews/5945 to see if it something for you.

Also worth a mention is that if you want the Beyers at about $250 you will have to get the 250ohm versions which might be hard to drive without an amp. Where as the HE-300 is at 50ohms and will be easier to drive without one.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 26
No the MDR-1R are not comparable, it's a great headphone no doubt but it's for portable use, so it cannot compare to headphones that are meant for home or studio use.

But i think the HE-300 would be a good choice, i read a couple of reviews on it and almost all say that you won't lose detail in the highs. Anyway I suggest you read ClieOS's review  
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-300/reviews/6593
 and maybe Skylab's 
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-300/reviews/5945
 to see if it something for you.

Also worth a mention is that if you want the Beyers at about $250 you will have to get the 250ohm versions which might be hard to drive without an amp. Where as the HE-300 is at 50ohms and will be easier to drive without one.

I am planning on buying an amp. Looking at the Fiio e7, I just want something that will fill out the audio quality, have decent power and under 200.not sure what I want or need. I play music from my laptop, nexus 7,and iphone. I generally listen to 320kbps music, and I don't know if I need just an amp, an amp/DAC, or just a DAC. Recommendations would be great.
I will look into the he 300s a little more. I do like a boosted low end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back