Headphone for college!
Jul 8, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RP21 looks interesting. Any other details on how it sounds? I can get it new from ebay for about $110 shipped.

Whoa, check the Equation Audio site to see if there is a dealer in your area. I think others have gotten them for $99 shipped but I could be wrong about the shipped part. EDIT: Full Compass - at least - is $99 shipped. $99 is the lowest advertised price you see because of agreements that dealers have made w/ Equation but my local dealer did better than that and I've heard tale of others having the same experience.

They were designed to be studio cans so they are pretty neutral . . . but the bass is oh so sweet! The highs are the only question with these things but check out the huge RP-21 thread for some mods that help smooth them out. I've removed the stock foam and replaced it with the foam that came with the vinyl Beyerdynamic pads I bought to replace the stock ones. All tallied, a comfy and nice-sounding set-up for . . . let's just say within walking distance of $100. Slow walking.
wink.gif

My SR80s have been neglected a bit lately because of the bass and versatility of the RP-21. I've read the more portable RP-15 is actually a bit warmer, believe it or not.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #18 of 31
You'll be moving around alot and your headphones will take a beating. I would consider spending a bit more and grabbing a used pair of DT770's. They will give you great isolation and are built like rocks.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but my local dealer did better than that and I've heard tale of others having the same experience.

Yep. In my experience too, the local dealer can offer an even better price.

--
Actually, I'm home visiting the family right now, and have the rp-21's plugged straight into the onboard sound on my laptop. (conexant hd audio, venice revision)

It sounds pretty good. Pretty detailed, but could sound better. I've had it plugged into my headroom bithead, and the rp-21 were pretty damn amazing from em. I've actually just put in about..3-4 hours of listening today[plugged to onboard soundcard only], and the headphone has done allright for the most part. With the onboard sound on some complex passages, it sounded quite bad- the music became muddled. This is most likely a problem with my soundcard, because under the same conditions in the past with my bithead I did not have such problems.

While I've been able to listen to the rp-21 for awhile now[mostly from a heed canamp or headroom bithead], I cannot recomend it right off the bat, because my experience with other headphones in the sub $100 is little to none. I can say however that I originally bought the rp-21's as a graduation gift for my brother, but now I'm thinking about getting another rp-21 for myself.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #21 of 31
I know you said no amp, but a clean signal is IMO more important coming from a computer. How about a used Headroom Bithead and a pair of Yuin PK2s? The lil' usb DAC cleans up the noise and the PK2s are small and portable, convenient, an sound like full-size cans. You'd have to crank them to very high levels for others to hear, but work great for naps in a noisy dom or other collective environment.

I use the above rig at work a good bit (as I do the Bithead and PK1) and find them the best configuration. Just a few seconds needed to put on (in) or take off, and no headband hair!

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 31
I understand you said you wanted one headphone, but perhaps two will do a better job? A portable setup with some iem and a dorm setup with a small SS amp and headphone.
evil_smiley.gif
Think about it, the iem would do double duty if you live on a noisy floor.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #26 of 31
Well I have the KSC-75 already but I tire of using them all the time and want something a little better (the KSC-75 and Marshmallows will be for portable use). I thought about the DT770/80 for a while and can snag a pair for about $155 shipped through ebay, but I don't know how well they'll be driven through a laptop and if I will like the sound or not.

Does the RP21 sound anything like the HD280? Because I don't like the HD280 at all.

drp, I'm not too concerned right now about DAC or amp and will probably pick one up later if I find that I need it.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why don't you wait until you get to college and see what you really need

You know, I might just do that, but right now I have nothing better than the KSC-75 and I'm pretty much dying.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #28 of 31
I''ve never heard the HD280 but apparently Skylab has:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the RP21 is terrific for $99, and is way better than, say, the Senn HD280.

Of course it would be better to hear from him directly on this matter . . .

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #30 of 31
Why do you need to taking them off quick? just a matter of people approaching/talking to you? if thats the case you could consider a Shure IEM with a PTH device.

If thats not the reason then i'll shut up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back