Headphone for a beginner.
Sep 17, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 28
We could use more info here: What kind of music are you listening too and what is the listening environment? Do you want full-sized headphones, or IEMs, ear buds?

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 28
While I'm no a beginner I would be very happy with the AT AD700, the Alessandro MS1 or the Grado SR60 even after listening to phones for more than 30 years. Welcome to HeadFi where you don't need to worry about your wallet because we do that for you.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 28
i recommend sony r10 + single power SDS, so you will end your headphone journey right away.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

if you want to explore the mysterious headphone world, then a start at grado headphone is a nice choice
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 28
I agree that the Grados are a great place to start. The SR60s sound wonderful and are a great bargain at around $70. One big drawback is that they are very open and leak a lot of sound. That makes them not the best choice for use in noisy environments, ie commuting, and they can potentially disturb those around you if you turn them up.

If you are interested in IEMs, the Etymotic ER6s are a good place to start. They sell for about $90. Bear in mind though, that IEMs present comfort issues for some people, and some also find them annoying to insert and remove. But the sound offered by the ER6s is first rate.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 28
Or see if you can get a Denon AH-D1001 when it is on sale

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm no a beginner I would be very happy with the AT AD700, the Alessandro MS1 or the Grado SR60 even after listening to phones for more than 30 years.

ditto. I vote Grado SR60 for greatest value:
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back