Headphone Ethics?
Aug 1, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 31
Another vote for IEM's. That way I'm at peace and really don't care what the doofus with open cans or buds with the volume maxed out is playing. In addition, the screaming kids and loud, obnoxious jerks SCREAMING...er...talking on their cell phones doesn't faze me in the slightest.

Actually, open cans I can live with no matter what the volume but folks who think they need to yell their conversations into their cellphones bug the living hell out of me....especially when they're sitting next to or behind me at the airport or on planes. That's just plain RUDE!

All I can say is thank goodness the E500's are here and I'm free to travel in peace once again.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 31
I believe the word is "Etiquette" in this case
smily_headphones1.gif
That aside, it's good karma to have good etiquette under any circumstances.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awk.Pine
After only brief reflection (I was asking a similar question in another thread), I think the rule should be akin to cell phone use. If it's okay to use a cell phone, it should be okay to use an open can. Music will probably be quieter than a person talking. Still, I don't think headphones are as accepted, so if your goal is to not offend it is probably better to not use them in public. And maybe I'm not thinking of some reason why they are more distracting than one-ended telephone conversations. But, if cell phones aren't allowed, open cans are a bad idea.

Good rule of thumb?

I still cannot stand people talking on their cell phones on the bus. The long conversations about nothing bother me the most. I can understand someone answering the phone to be asked by the person on the other end to pickup milk at the store on their way home, etc... but other than that it is extremely annoying. The worst thing is when they can't hear the other person and have to yell into the phone so everyone in the bus can hear their inane chatter. UGH.
mad.gif

That kinda thing does not go over well in Japan. Practically everyone has a cell phone and yet on the train, all you see are people text messaging others. They have rules about it over there. I would imagine that wearing open cans on the train would fall into the same category as cellphone use.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
You'll soon find that open headphones+public transportation is just like water+oil. You'll need some isolating IEMs!!! I tried using open cans on a bus and you can't listen properly to the music!

I totally agree with MASantos. Listening to my Grados on the bus was like not listening to any music. I had to crank the volume way up. That is bad for two reasons. One, my hearing gets damaged and two...the sound does leak out. So I do not recommend open headphones as portables.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
I totally agree with MASantos. Listening to my Grados on the bus was like not listening to any music. I had to crank the volume way up. That is bad for two reasons. One, my hearing gets damaged and two...the sound does leak out. So I do not recommend open headphones as portables.

I'll second that, albeit I'll still do it. Right now my only cans are the DT880's and I generally put them on to drown out the rest of the noise when on busses. Sure, it probably pisses the other people off, but if it bothers them then they should have the balls to ask me to turn them down.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 31
Hi
I actually stopped using IEMs cause i seemed so separated from the busy world around me. It isolates, but is also has the affect of mentally isolating one. I would to often get people trying to talk to me and me not knowing, or having to wait a few seconds for me to take my iems off to hear what they had to say.
i'd rather disturb people with some slight music comming from my PX100s than completely ignore their attempts to communicate.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
I'll second that, albeit I'll still do it. Right now my only cans are the DT880's and I generally put them on to drown out the rest of the noise when on busses. Sure, it probably pisses the other people off, but if it bothers them then they should have the balls to ask me to turn them down.

You live in Madison, Wisconsin? Are there any buses in Madison? I lived there from 98-99, and the only bus I remember riding was the UW drunk bus. Strangely enough, it's also about the only bus I know where you could blast your DT880's without anyone sober enough to be annoyed.

I guess if I had seen someone blaring their DT880's on that bus, I might have smiled and said "too bad such a prick has such nice headphones", but really only to entertain the other passengers, because there's no way the person could've heard me.
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, it would have also assuaged my headphone envy a wee bit, I'm not denying.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #23 of 31
I ride the bus to and from work and also work out in a public gym. I use my Etymotic ER-6i's (IEMs) the whole time. For the most part, when people see you with earphones/headphones, they'll leave you alone. Just like you wouldn't start up a conversation with someone who is talking on a cell phone, you mostly won't start up a conversation with someone wearing earphones. Well, maybe to a lesser extent. Some still will. Anyway, I'm an introvert so I really don't mind that (being left alone) at all. I get all the interaction I need at home with the family and at work. When I'm in the gym or on the bus I pretty much want to be left alone. Of course if someone needs a spot or needs directions, I'm happy to help. So if you don't mind being isolated as someone else mentioned, then IEMs are the way to go. But if you want to meet people or have a converstation then you shouldn't wear any kind of headphones.

With regards to the sound leakage, I have to agree with the others in this thread; use IEMs. They block out the outside bus sounds and conversations so you don't have to turn the volume up too loud, and they show courtesy to others by not making them listen to your music. If not IEMs, then go with some type of closed cans.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 31
I use a pair of ksc75s on the bus. I tries IEMs, but i fell TOO isolated. I cant hear driver annoucnements, my friends talking to me. and don't feel connected to whats going on around me. I keep the volume fairly low, I've never had a complaint from anyone sitting next to me in the past 2+ years of daily taking the bus.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by slunk007
That kinda thing does not go over well in Japan. Practically everyone has a cell phone and yet on the train, all you see are people text messaging others. They have rules about it over there. I would imagine that wearing open cans on the train would fall into the same category as cellphone use.

Text messaging in Japan is way cheaper than calling/airtime.

In Canada, you know it's the complete opposite.

To OP: IEM, for sure. I can be completely isolated even on the noisiest street without bothering anybody.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #26 of 31
Thanks for all the input, gents... I really like to consider myself a considerate person
rolleyes.gif
So I'm looking into some closed cans for the school year... Thinking K81DJ (Can't go wrong at that price!). Interesting to see that we are a community of people that care, though
eggosmile.gif
Good to know that the hobby doesn't push people TOO far.

Btw, this is completely irrelevent, but I know people have wondered about it... I just snagged the 'Problem' 'Solved' Girl Yelling at Man T-Shirt at my local JCPenny for $10
280smile.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsona
Text messaging in Japan is way cheaper than calling/airtime.

In Canada, you know it's the complete opposite.

Okay, but what does that have to do with etiquette? The reason in Japan that they use text messaging on the train is NOT because it is cheaper. It is because it is the only socially acceptable way to use your cell phone on the train. When people accidentally get a phone call on the train there, they will answer the phone, quickly whisper "I'm on the train", and then hang up and hope nobody noticed them.

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Another vote for IEM's. That way I'm at peace and really don't care what the doofus with open cans or buds with the volume maxed out is playing. In addition, the screaming kids and loud, obnoxious jerks SCREAMING...er...talking on their cell phones doesn't faze me in the slightest.

Actually, open cans I can live with no matter what the volume but folks who think they need to yell their conversations into their cellphones bug the living hell out of me....especially when they're sitting next to or behind me at the airport or on planes. That's just plain RUDE!

All I can say is thank goodness the E500's are here and I'm free to travel in peace once again.

Hi Ken,

I'm really enjoying this thread! You hit the nail right the head with your post. The one thing that I'm a bit confused about is why we headphone users are so concerned about whether the sound leakage from our headphones might be bothering someone when all the rude cell phone users don't seem to care the least little bit.

Believe me I know what I'm writing about since I live in northern New Jersey and take a New Jersey Transit train twice a day, five days a week to and from NYC. The number of people on their cell phones is just out of control, even at 6:30am in the morning!! The only way to avoid confrontation is to completely block out their mindless and senseless chatter with a good pair of IEMs and some nice music.

Do I like always having to be completely isolated from the outside world while on the train? No, not really but it has become almost a necessity in order to survive in a world filled with so many selfish and rude people. I sure hope that NJ Transit bans cell phones in the very near future.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
You live in Madison, Wisconsin? Are there any buses in Madison? I lived there from 98-99, and the only bus I remember riding was the UW drunk bus. Strangely enough, it's also about the only bus I know where you could blast your DT880's without anyone sober enough to be annoyed.

I guess if I had seen someone blaring their DT880's on that bus, I might have smiled and said "too bad such a prick has such nice headphones", but really only to entertain the other passengers, because there's no way the person could've heard me.
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, it would have also assuaged my headphone envy a wee bit, I'm not denying.

Haha, yeah they're around. I have to ride a bus to work on the east side (American Family Insurance) every morning for about half an hour. I know what you mean though, I never used my student bus pass until this summer...the only bus I rode was the drunk bus as well (and being the #1 party school again, we certainly need them!). You gotta love a city that helps drunken college students get around 24-7.

I have to admit, it's nice not having the bus overly crowded every day...when I visted chicago with my friend I absolutely hated the buses. The subway wasn't bad though. I definitely feel like I should get a decent pair of IEM's now though. Too bad I'm devoting my food money to a new turntable setup...

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
Hi Ken,

I'm really enjoying this thread! You hit the nail right the head with your post. The one thing that I'm a bit confused about is why we headphone users are so concerned about whether the sound leakage from our headphones might be bothering someone when all the rude cell phone users don't seem to care the least little bit.

Believe me I know what I'm writing about since I live in northern New Jersey and take a New Jersey Transit train twice a day, five days a week to and from NYC. The number of people on their cell phones is just out of control, even at 6:30am in the morning!! The only way to avoid confrontation is to completely block out their mindless and senseless chatter with a good pair of IEMs and some nice music.

Do I like always having to be completely isolated from the outside world while on the train? No, not really but it has become almost a necessity in order to survive in a world filled with so many selfish and rude people. I sure hope that NJ Transit bans cell phones in the very near future.

Oh man, you're so right. I live in Central Jersey and take the NJ Transit into NYC every so often (Northeast Corridor), and the rudeness of people on the NJT is unbelievable. Thank God for my Super.Fi 5 Pro, and now, my UE-5c's. I don't think I'd be able to stay sane without them on the NJT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back