Headphone/Earphone Sales Data
Apr 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hipster2010

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know where I can find some data on headphone sales data for different companies. Many of the companies are privately held which complicates the matter, but if anyone knows of any site or article that has even general estimates for various companies I would appreciate the help.
Thanks.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 6
It is easy enough to get data for Koss and Skullcandy since these are public and sell only headphones. Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Philips make many types of items, and it might not be so easy to find headphone sales numbers for these. There have been articles mentioning Grado's sales, although Grado sells phono cartridges as well as headphones. The even smaller headphone companies might be quite secretive about sales numbers. Try searching Google. For Koss and Skullcandy numbers, search Yahoo finance.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598325/headphones-over-100-only-6-of-headphone-sales

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Total sales numbers for Sennheiser can be found searching the net, however I haven't seen a breakdown for microphones, headphones, and other items. I guess that is probably true as well for AKG. You might get some useful information for AKG by reading Harman's annual reports(NYSE symbol HAR).

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Annual Reports for the publicly traded companies may provide a breakdown by product category.  How finely they slice that data is anyone's guess.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 6
It is amazing that 72% of headphone sales(in dollars) are for headphones under $25, and that 22% is for headphones $25-100. In units headphones over $100 is probably less than 2%. How much less is the question. I guess this data is for US sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back