Headphone Dilemma - Recommendations Wanted.
Oct 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chopsta

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm brand new here and equally as new to the headphone culture. I've been searching for a nice pair of headphones for myself for the past couple weeks, reading reviews, endless Google searches, etc.

Some of the pairs that I've looked into are: Sennheiser HD555 and Shure SRH840.
Basically what I'm asking you is what pair would you recommend for someone who listens to mostly hip-hop and rock. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that deliver on the low end but also can hit the highs. If you could please recommend me a pair of headphones $200 and under, doesn't have to be either of those two I listed. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I should also mention that I've heard the Monster's Beats by Dre. and I really loved that quality of bass.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 10
you may want to consider the ath M50's, a lot of people like the bass on those in regard to hip hop. The shure's have more of a neutral sound, so it really depends on your preference. I have the srh-440's which I think sound wonderful, but some people complain of not enough bass, I'd disagree. You should also consider whether you want closed or open cans. Closed will give you more isolation and won't leak sound if your in a sensitive environment like a library or something. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Hip-Hop and Rock? If you don't mind closed headphones, you should go try out the HD 25-1 IIs. The HD 25 SPs have a bit more bass but the SQ is not as good as the HD 25-1 IIs.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
you may want to consider the ath M50's, a lot of people like the bass on those in regard to hip hop. The shure's have more of a neutral sound, so it really depends on your preference. I have the srh-440's which I think sound wonderful, but some people complain of not enough bass, I'd disagree. You should also consider whether you want closed or open cans. Closed will give you more isolation and won't leak sound if your in a sensitive environment like a library or something. 

goldy, do u use an amp for your 440s? because i've found that amps don't make much of a difference as opposed to directly connecting it to a computer. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Goldy, I've been reading up on the M50's and they seem to be getting amazing reviews and are everything I think that I'm looking for. I'm going to see if I can hear a pair at a local shop before I buy them. Thanks for your help!

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
goldy, do u use an amp for your 440s? because i've found that amps don't make much of a difference as opposed to directly connecting it to a computer. 

most of the time I use them unamped, but occasionally I do amp them at home. I don't really find much of a difference to be honest, but that could just be due to not having a high quality source.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 10

goldy said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now I got it, Thanks for your analysis! It's helpful to me, It's very valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back